change water 1-2x week - 30%

2 telescopes 3 inches, 1 2 inches

prime water conditioner

feed pro gold, spirulina, assorted frozen foods

no new fish

tank salted to .2

curently feeding medi gold

2 inch telescope sitting on bottom, not eating, gasping for air

So I bought all three of these guys together from the same LFS, same tank about 6 months ago. Two of them have about doubled in size, healthy, fat, and happy. The third guy has always looked puny. He's always been really sunk in behind the rib cage whereas the other two are all rounded out. He has always spent a lot of time towards the top of the tank and the others are always actively swimming more toward the bottom. I have treated this tank twice for flukes with prazi from goldfish connection, and they are currently on their second round of medigold. He is now bottom sitting, not eating. He actually looks like he wants to eat and yesterday I saw him get food in his mouth and then promptly spit it back out. Now a lot of the time he appears to be gasping and looks like a fish that is trying to spit out a piece of gravel, that real wide mouth opening. Does that pinpoint anything? He has never been completely healthy in the 6 months I've had him and I would like to make one last ditch effort to figure out what is wrong. I do have an air pump in the tank so there is plenty of oxygen in the water. I realize the tap water and tank water ph is drastically different and I have addressed this before, my tap water does not hold, and I do have crushed coral in the tank. I'm wondering if the more frequent water changes to try and help this guy have made the ph drop.

Anyway, anything jumping out at anybody that I can do to help this guy?

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi,

I am really sorry for ur telescope...I think the tank pH is a bit alarming..goldies like hard water..6.8 is a bit too low...umm..u might wanna order Buff it Up from goldfishconnection.com... Everyone here recommends the product..am sure it works fine...

He actually looks like he wants to eat and yesterday I saw him get food in his mouth and then promptly spit it back out. Now a lot of the time he appears to be gasping and looks like a fish that is trying to spit out a piece of gravel, that real wide mouth opening.

I have experienced this exact same behavior...ditto...

this is exactly how my fish was behaving a few days back...she was on a salt treatment for ich...the ich was gone totally, but I was being cautious..hence she was still on salt...I was suggested to do a 50% water change to lower the salt concentration...however, it did not help..and since I had never treated her for flukes, I was suggested Prazipro...I did that and she is getting better...she begs for food..and can eat it too...but you say you have treated them for flukes..I am really sorry cos I am of no help here...but I really hope everything gets better...I am sure a moderator or an experienced member will help you soon...hope it helps...and hope your telescope gets better..

Hi Sharon. Here's the link to SunshineGurl's thread on this similar thing. Omg... This Time It's Chikoo As Trinket, one of our Moderators suggested, this sort of mouth activity suggests either flukes or salt overdose. Since you've treated for flukes, I'd have to say that the only other thing left is salt overdose. How long have you had the salt in there? There was also another thread I was working on posted by Minx, where her fish has fin rot so I, as we usually do, suggested salt. Her fish had a terrible reaction. She removed the salt and went with meds instead and her fish improved greatly. Bottom line is that some fish just can't handle the salt. Try removing the salt completely and see how your fish reacts to that.

Ok, will try changing out a bunch of the water. I think probably the best thing to do is to do it slowly throughout the day as I'm afraid one big change will be to much of a ph jump. I'll let ya know.

However, this still doesn't address his overall health. But I guess one step at a time is best - I'll change out the water and see which way he goes.

Thanks,

Sharon

Yes, one thing at a time. The only way to address overall health is to look at the symptoms and eliminate possibilities. For instance, if he's had a salt overdose, he' struggling for more oxygen, hence, bad health. If it's a salt overdose, he's not able to eat properly, hence bad health. Finding the one little thing that's wrong could be the cure to everything.

Remember, I added the salt because he was gasping and bottom sitting, not the other way around. I would say that today he is about the same, not eating, sometimes swims around a bit and appears interested in food, but doesn't eat. He not actually bottom sitting, more hovering right above. I have changed about 60% of the water. I can't emphasize enough how healthy, fat, and big the other two are, and he has always appeared sickly. Is there some sort of parasite or bacterial infection I could be missing with the salt and prazi? Another thing I could say is that he has always appeared to be missing a few scales. He has also been through 2 weeks of medi gold when he was eating.

Thanks,

Sharon

Tell us more about your prazi treatments. How much, how long, etc.