Why Won't Red Build?

Guest Aquagirl

Guest Aquagirl

I'm at a loss... I decided to spawn one pair of my bettas. I've owned bettas for a long time, and finally decided to take my hobby to the next level.

After extensive research on how to/when and where... I conditioned my bettas, set up a breeding tank exactly as described on one of the forums posted on Koko's, added the male and then 3 days later added the female.

Immediately after I added the female (who already had an ovispore showing) the male started flaring and dancing around her enclosed area in the tank. It has been 4 days now and there is still no sign of him making an effort to build a bubble nest. She however is ready to go and started showing off her vertical stripes...still the male is just dancing around her (trying to impress!). I decided to release her into his part of the tank, since she showed the signs of being ready... but he just chased her around the tank... and flaring at her when she stops to take a rest.

What did I do wrong? Why is he so adement on impressing her and not building a nest?

Please help betta experts!!!! :krazy:

Guest Aquagirl

Hi...

Thank you for the advice.

I actually had the male for 2 years now. I decided to remove the female for a day and I had put her back in the tank last night.... this morning... what do you know!!!! :D Red started building his bubble nest.... it's going oh so slow, but he seems to be flaring less and concentrating more on the nest now. I guess he just needed a break to get his head in the right place...LOL!

sometimes the male waits till they are actually in the process of mating before he builds a nest . How long did you condition Them? It can take a couple days to condition them before they breed. Here is a web site I belong to that you can get all kinds of info on betta breeding.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BettaBreeders/index.php?act=idx

I am bettaqueen on there as well. I know most of the people on there and if you are trully interested in breeding they will be more than happy to help you and you will assigned a breeder who will mentor you with your first breeding experience

Its gr888..things are working out for you..I am glad Red is building the nest...hope to see pictures once he is done..if possible the lil eggs too...hope you get a lot of little ones..take care.. :)

my betta has been building his bubble nest for the past 2 days...I was so thrilled...I have had him for a month now...this has been the first time he built his bubble nest..I got pictures..will share in some time... :) ...am soo happy.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl