Chrissy's Fishies

Chrissy_Bee

This is such a great idea! I want to share my experience with everyone, so hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes..but also my successes. I'm going to try and condense the last 5 or 6 years as much as possible - but this might get a little long!!!!

I had kept fish when I was a kid but never seriously. I got forced into the hobby when I moved in with my sister about 6 years ago and got to know new her fish. She had Harry, Dick and Sally, all fantails, George, a huge moore who had turned orange during a hea twave, and Precious, a big common pleco, all jammed in a 10 gallon! I didn't know much, but I knew things weren't good in the tank, so I quickly took over care of the fish. The first thing I did was upgrade them to a whopping 15 gallon :rolleyes: as well as removed the pleco to a separate tank - sadly he had already hurt one of the fish at that point (first hard lesson learned, plecos and goldies don't mix!).

Here's the first tank :(

oldtank.jpg

After the tank upgrade I got really interested in goldies and began to do my research, and luckily I found Koko's. Sadly it was too late for the fantails, and we lost all 3 of them to swim bladder issues. But we still had George and we bought a little oranda named Ruby and a ranchu named Angus (a very cute little guy!) to keep him company. But, I still hadn't learned enough and we lost Ruby as well. After that loss I did even more research and bought all my test kits.

Here's the 3 of them in the new tank

100_7341.jpg

My sis and I moved about 3 years ago and took George and Angus with us. During the move Angus died from a pH crash and I got very very discouraged. :( I kept George in my bedroom for the next while and totally got out of the hobby, including koko's. Then my sis and I noticed how truly sad the big guy seemed and I knew I had to get him some friends :D

This is when I got a 30 gallon tank, another filter and two new babies. They were Jerry the oranda and Elaine the lion head. Here they all are, babies included :heart

8a169e18.jpg

Over the next year or so I really learned a lot, and despite some issues, things went well and have gotten better ever since. The three fish got along great and they grew, and grew, and grew. Here they are all grown up:

Jerry and Elaine

babies-1.jpg

Unfortunatly the years of poor water quality caught up with George, he developed sbd and passed on not long after. He still remains my favorite and most loved fish. Jerry and Elaine however thrived and kept on growing! I got them another moore to replace big George, this was baby George! Here is just a year ago next to Elaine.

babygeorge.jpg

Over the past year a lot happened with my goldies. Elaine developed severe sbd about a year ago and was unable to swim, but still her perky little self HEART Jerry would sit with her and keep her company on the bottom, until he suddenly dropsied and died last October. Since then I got my pearlie Frederick and more recently my baby ranchu (or maybe lionhead?) Penny, and have upgraded to a 55gallon. I also still have 'baby' George who is no baby anymore - he's actually bigger than 'big George' was. Sadly, I lost Elaine just two days ago but she went peacefully. Now I have my three fish and love them to death! I'm so happy because I finally have a nice big tank, with great water quality and happy fish. It's been a learning experience and I'm still learning every day :D

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to write about how we are constantly perfecting our tanks. I got my 55 gallon a couple of months ago and it's been a constant work in progress....and probably always will be!! :P

I started out with a divider to keep my disabled little Elaine away from the boys. On her side of the tank I had this great plant in a plastic desert cup. It really thrived, enough for me to have to trim it down! Here's the divided tank, and the pretty plant on the right:

IMG_1979.jpg

Recently I was able to remove the divider and it looks a thousand times better! I also found cute little tealight holders for my plants. Everything looked great (this is blurry, but you get the idea):

IMG_1322.jpg

I got back from my recent trip to find the tall plant (the 'pretty' one) completely gone, no sign that it ever existed. I guess the fish found that one really tastey! Maybe they were teaching me a lesson for only having them fed once every second day while I was gone :P One of my other plant holders also has 'nubs' that are left from another plant that I was hoping might grow back....but no such luck. So my next task in my ongoing tank development is to find some more non goldie edible plants!!

I love the blog title! How cute!!!

i love this section actually. It's so cool to get to go back and read about everyone's past experiences, how they found the site. All of it.. I can't wait til I have time to sit down and write my whole story!! (everyone has to read all 50 pages too!)

I also love (what don't I love?) how there are pictures posted throughout!! I was so confused earlier because I read the post about Elaine, but you kept saying she was swimming somewhere in the fishie heavens with George.. I kept thinking "but we were just joking about George & Fred being in FishBack Mountain LOL".. Thank goodness! You had me soo scared!!!! Two George's makes much more sense!! : )

Sorry again about Elaine Chrissy.. : ( She was a real sweetie.. I am glad you got Penny when you did. Now you have another sweet little girl to watch grow up : )

Awwwwwwwwww thanks Sue :heart

Yes, I forget that a lot of people weren't around when I had 'big George', I need to be careful about that disctinction!

And I'm so glad I got Penny too, it's great to look at my tank and see 3 fish swimming together happily.

I just had to post again about how cool it is to have my 3 fish getting along and swimming like a little school! I was really really nervous for a long time about George ('baby' that is) because he seemed so agressive. Lately he has been so calm and peaceful, it's almost as if since I've added Penny to the tank the whole dynamic has changed. It could just be the time of year or something, but I hope this is a permanent change.

I'll let you all in on a little secret....if this keeps up I'm going to have no choice but to go to the lfs and maybe get another fish soon ;)

It is so great how everyone is posting how they learned from their mistakes and koko's about proper goldfish care.

I think people that are new to goldfish that can't seem to "get" or are shoked by the 10 gallon rule well learn tons from blogs llike yours and others.

Great start with your blog.

I wasn't going to post a long history of MY introduction to fish keeping and more specifically, goldfish, but the more I read others' blogs, the more I find each person's history interesting. So, I may add my own history as well. I was thinking about your fish eating the plants while you were on vacation. We all worry about what our fish will eat while we're gone on an extended stay and trying to find someone to take care of them, but I think buying a plant for this very purpose might be a great idea. It's alive, so it won't rot and it's an ongoing food source. See what good ideas these blogs can give?!

I was thinking about your fish eating the plants while you were on vacation. We all worry about what our fish will eat while we're gone on an extended stay and trying to find someone to take care of them, but I think buying a plant for this very purpose might be a great idea. It's alive, so it won't rot and it's an ongoing food source. See what good ideas these blogs can give?!

I ask my mother to feed the fish. Beforehand I fill eppendorf-tubes (sp?) with a daily portion so she just has to soak it in the cup and poor it in. Very easy. :D And I leave the green algae alone the week before I leave in the (idle) hoop that they wont destroy the plants :bingo:

edit: inserted link

Edited by Quasi

That was my thought as well, that at least the plant gave them something to munch on :)

To continue the saga of planting my tank.....I had an afternoon to myself today, so naturally, I cruised around the city and checked out all almost the pet stores :P

I bought a large plant (jungle val) as well as two small anubias. Hopefully these have some luck. No pictures yet (long story about my camera....) but I'll try and get some soon. I also kept my eyes peeled for any special goldies, with no real luck. The one shop I know always has the most beautiful fish only had 3 fancies :( They were silver orandas, I think they were blues in the process of turing orange or white. I came close to taking one home, he was chubby and very sweet looking, but I'm going to hold out until they get new stock. I've seen some fish at that store that were amazing.

On an unrelated note, I gave the fish brocolli for the first time just now. George LOVED it!!! The others really liked it too, but he swam over as soon as I put it in and gobbled as fast as he could....I guess I know what happened to that plant ;)

My quest for a fish continued today....I went to an lfs across town on an unrelated task (cat food) and remembered that the last time I was there theyhad a beautiful goldie set up. Well, no more tank :( They just had the usual small tanks in the back with nothing special. So, the waiting continues.....

Here's an update with pics :D

Here is my goldie tank now with the new plants. The only thing I'd like to do now is maybe find a background, but I really can't find or decide on what to get (suggestions anyone?????). I want it to look great because when you come to my apartment door, all you can see through the window is my tank! I've gotten a lot of complements on it :heart

IMG_2368.jpg

Here's the 'Jungle Val' - I really like it...and little Penny decided to jump into this one as well

IMG_2371.jpg

And here are my two new anubias, I hope they grow nice and big!

IMG_2372.jpg

I've also decided to 'spruce up' my tropical tank. I want to ogranize the plants a bit better, get some tall ones for the back, put the shorter ones up front, etc. Here's how it looks now. Basically an unorganized jungle.

IMG_2375.jpg

One of the biggest issues is this hair algae, you can see it coating my poor Amazon sword. I'm going to try fertilizing with some flourish excel...again, if anyone has any experience/opinions on this, they are greatly appreciated :P

IMG_2377.jpg

Chrissy I LOVE your goldie tank! It's one of my favorites.. Everytime I see it, I just love it more and more.

How cute that the three of them are all doing so well, and George has mellowed out some : ) That's adorable!!!!

As far as a background, here's a couple ideas. Of course there's the plastic stick on things you can get at the pet store. But, Amy painted on the glass on the back of her tank directly with blue acrylic paint. It worked very nicely. It feels like plastic kinda and I think it would scrape off very easily when you want to change it. I took that same approach but with a slightly different twist. I used acrylic paint to paint my background, but I put it on an acrylic sheet cut to the size of the back of my tank glass. I have the tank frame that sticks out from the edge of the glass and the acrylic sheet is cut just perfectly enough that it "snaps" right into the area and stays without gluing or taping. Then I just did a sponge painting technique. Had a basic idea of the scene I wanted to paint, but you have to remember, backgrounds, as they fade into the distance, are blurry, so you don't want to paint anything that is distinct. The sponge painting worked well for that. Just a sky area, in a mish mash of blues, fading into different shades of blurred greens with brown/black/gray areas of rocks. That was mine, but you choose any scene you want, just remember to make it fuzzy. Then you don't have to be an excellent artist!

Hmmmmmmmmm, thanks for the ideas Lynda. I wanted a background that looked like rocks maybe, but I think sponge painting is a GREAT idea. I may have to try, I have a ton of paint, I just need to get something big enough to paint on.

And Sue, thanks for the compliments :heart

Yes, George has mellowed, but you should see his breeding stars!!! They are crazy, I may try and get a pic later.

Which leads us back to the question from a few weeks ago. Is he interested in Penny? Or is it Fred that's got him so starry eyed? (Or should I say starry gilled? Yes lame but had to say it LMAO)

I think it's poor ol' Fred that has him all worked up. He still chases him occasionally, and take zero interest in Penny. But maybe she's releasing hormones that are making him a little more randy, I'm not sure :P

Chrissy, very beautiful tank..I love the idea of little glass thingies holding the plants..very pretty... :heart

I have been looking into a lot of backgrounds and DIY projects...the one Lynda suggests is gr88..I did consider painting the background like Amy...but I am still pondering on what needs to be done...I found this somewhere on the net..chk it out..I liked it...but again haven't tried it myself yet...I am still stuck on Lynda's idea.. :)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154005 ...scroll down the page.. :)

ohhh..tht would be awesome...all I have to do is look for a color printer..ohhh..could you please print a pretty background for me too???..pleaseeeee... :P ..hehehehehe

Edited by SunshineGurl

ohhh..tht would be awesome...all I have to do is look for a color printer..ohhh..could you please print a pretty background for me too???..pleaseeeee... :P ..hehehehehe

I think my supervisor/lab mates will be asking questions when I use an entire color cartridge in one day ;)

I like the idea of using some of those pictures JC! They're really cool looking! Some of them are smeary/abstract enough that you could even paint them yourself without needing to be a real artist! One thing I think I'd do though is to mount the picture section(s) on something waterproof (plastic or acrylic sheeting) and then resin or modge podge, etc., the picture onto the sheeting so it was waterproof. The cardboard sounds like it would fall apart pretty quickly. Maybe I'm just a messy water changer, but it's impossible for me to keep the water inside my tank!

I was thinking about the waterproofing too Lynda. I've used plastic wrap on chalk drawings to keep them from smearing, but I don't think you'd be able to put that on without getting wrinkles.

I had a thought that I might try. I might take some foil wrapping paper and see how that looks with the silver side showing, so the back of the tank would be like one big mirror.

I think my supervisor/lab mates will be asking questions when I use an entire color cartridge in one day ;)

If you tell him what it's for, then he might reply to your astute solution ofthe problem at hand that some alcohol beverages forgo chaos (or maybe that's a tad too cryptic :rolleyes: ).

My quest for the 'dream goldie' to complete my tank continued today. I figure one more fish in my 55 gallon would be perfect, I love how easy it is to keep the perams in check now, no need to push it with 5 fish. Anyway....I went to an lfs today to find some ottos (which I did, yay :D ) and of course I checked out the goldie tanks. Nothing jumped at me but I did notice a pretty calico ryukin that had great potential. I had just made up my mind to get him when a young couple who'd been waiting to be served nabbed him. Foiled!!!!

But my brother in law just stopped by to help me with my car and mentioned he's going to the lfs when he's done (my favorite lfs, might I add). I said of course I'd like to go too....so stay tuned ;)