Omg What Happened To Snowflake?!?!

Shamu23

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?12.5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8-8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.8-8

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?drop tests, nutrafin, tetra and API

[*]Water temperature? 74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 since xmas

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?2 x ac 110, aquatech 5-15, rena filstar xP 2

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 20-30% once a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 single tailed goldies (2-4 inches), 1 oranda (3-4 inches)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, seachem flourish

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, lots of different stuff

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? the oranda but he isnt that new anymore

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

i was just watching my fish and I realized that all of Snowflake's fins are ripped right down to his body, lots of his scales are stripped off and some just barely attached, part of his right gill cover is ripped, and his tail fin looks bloody (not streaks, its near the base of the tail). The oranda has been chasing him a little bit but not in an agressive way and Snowflake is much faster anyway so I dont think thats wat its from. What could've happned to my poor baby?? He's swimming and eating fine though.

:(

Jule if this happened overnight, it would almost have to be either one or all of the other fish attacking the poor little guy. I would definitely separate him from the other fish, and give him .1% salt for now. Then you can keep an eye on him and medicate him. Has he shown any sign of illness before this? I'm asking because other fish will usually pick at a weaker or ill fish.

he's never been sick. Yes it happened overnight and I dont see any fish picking at him, even when the oranda chases him, if he stops all the oranda will do is rub his head on him (its kinda cute actually :) ).Could it be that maybe he got stuck somewhere and scraped himself? But that still wouldnt explain the ripped fins.... :unsure: .

He's not weak either, even now he still swims perfectly normal and gets excited when he sees me.

Pics coming soon

Pics

its kinda hard to see, u can see it better in a video that i'll upload later

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

would it b ok to wait a day or 2 and see how he does before quarantining him?

the missing scales is mostly on the other side that u cant really see in the pics

Edited by Shamu23

i have a good guess as to wat could've happened to him! Someone I talked to yesterday said it looked like septicimia (spelling?), then we got talking about filters and I thought, maybe he squeezed in between the filter and glass and since the scales are missing on only one side he could've scraped them off on the intake tube since I've seen him try to get behind there :rolleyes: .

He's still acting and eating normal :)

I hope he's okay Shamu! I can't offer much, but I agree I would keep him seperate for a little while and see what happens... I would also go for the 0.1% salt if it were me.. Right now one of my fish appears to be getting sick and the first thing Imogen suggested was a a few days watching her at 0.1% salt. I think that would be your best bet for now just to be on the safe side. : )

Get better snowflake!!

• Admin

I would also suggest Melafix to help the tail repair its self...Im thinking the fish got it self trapped some where since your water is good and the other fish are fine too.... :(

This is good news. Good in many ways. Good that he is healthy again. Good that it wasn't, or at least, isn't now because of other fish picking on him and good because the healing means you have good healthy water and are doing a good job keeping your tank and fish healthy. Best wishes for more good luck to continue!