My Trip To California

Chrissy_Bee

Due to popular demand, I now have some pics from my trip to California last week :D

Here's the conference ground I stayed on in Monterey. It was beautiful, full of huge trees, log cabin style buildings and a huge beach.

IMG_1340.jpg

And these are from the Monterey Bay aquarium!! :nana

This is a HUGE sturgen, very cool

IMG_1373.jpg

Jellies!

IMG_1384.jpg

This was amazing, a real live sunfish! They catch these guys off the coast where I live sometimes, they are like ancient sea monsters.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

And this is the 'kelp forest' tank.

IMG_1403.jpg

I also saw a worker cleaning one of the massive tanks with scuba gear and a HUGE gravel vac! I tried to get a pic just to post here but it didn't come out :(

And here are some touristy pics from San Francisco.

Me on the Golden Gate

IMG_1598.jpg

Fisherman's warf

IMG_1506.jpg

And of course, Alcatraz (I went there on my birthday, LOL)

IMG_1532.jpg

Nice pictures! Great one of the jellies. When I took my kids there a few years ago, I was so stunned by the size of everything that I completely failed to take pictures of anything. I'll just have to go again!

San Francisco look suitably foggy. You don't get the real SF experience unless you are freezing in August. :cold:

San Francisco look suitably foggy. You don't get the real SF experience unless you are freezing in August. :cold:

For sure! I knew it wasn't hot, but I wasn't prepared for the cold either. It's very similar to the weather where I'm from, how ironic :P

Oh, so fun! :D

We went to the Monterey Aquarium when we took a trip to California. It was pretty cool! Good place to see. :) We also went to Alcatraz.... I was kinda freaked out, I thought it was horribly creepy in there.

Edited by Petperson04

Great pictures Chrissy! :D

A bit of a coincidence, but the uncle of mine we went to visit, was also just back from a holiday in the US, more specifically California, and he also showed me some pics from the Golden Gate and Alcatraz :) . I hope you enjoyed it as much as he did ;) .

Oh yes, and how was the conference? Learn anything interesting? :D

Oh how fun!!!! I love the pictures.. what a great trip!!!!!

Chrissy you HAVE to post more pics of Alcatraz.. Omg it looks soo creepy and old, I just LOVE it!!! I seriously want to go through your whole set of pics LOL

The aquarium looked really fun.. There is an aquarium near us that I've never been to and we are going to try to go soon. We also want to go back to the Baltimore Aquarium. I've been there before but I think I will have a whole new look on it now!

Glad you had a good time and got back safe! : )

Forgot to ask, is there web page for the conference you went too (I dimly seem to recall something, but it's just outside my mind's hearing range at the moment :unsure: )? If you presented a poster or a presentation, put it only somewhere :please:D .

(Miki, Isilme, myself and another colleague of ours are going to a 5-day conference in Switzerland in about 2 weeks. I'm so excited :D . But I so hope that I'll be able to get the work done in time to actually have something to present :krazy: .)

Edited by Erinaceus

Oh yes, and how was the conference? Learn anything interesting?

It was FANTASTIC, the biggest thing I learned was how to drink large amounts of cheap wine ;)

I'll find the link and send it to you, I don't have a copy of my poster handy but I can send that along too.

I love love love that cabin.

Beautiful hey? The entire place was buildings like that, they are heritage sites and so nice.

Chrissy you HAVE to post more pics of Alcatraz.. Omg it looks soo creepy and old, I just LOVE it!!! I seriously want to go through your whole set of pics LOL

Funny you should mention that.....the day we went there I lost my bf's camera (or it got stolen) :unsure: and it was my birthday, what a bad start! Luckily my sis had a camera so I'll her pics soon, and I have a camera that is actually better than my bf's so he wasn't too sad about it. Alcatraz itself wasn't as creepy as I thought it would be, the island is a gull colony so I, being the geeky biologist I am, spent a lot of time scoping out the birds....I'm the birdwoman of Alcatraz I guess!