Sign in to follow this  
Debi0825

My Bio-filter

It is a 55 gallon plastic drum (which several different medias in it) which we've had for 5 years. The top cracked and we couldn't get it fixed. My dad has another one down in Florida which he will bring up with him in the spring. Thankfully the pond should be fine without the big filter until we shut it down for winter. What a pain.

Darn, that stinks!! Old age, hm? Such a special made filter is hard to replace, I'd think. Plumbing and all, plus finding another sturdy one. Not all of the 50gl and up rubbermaids are sturdy enough to keep their shape when filled with water. I am glad you found a replacement though.

Are you going to run the pond without any filtration then? It is just August - I assume the winter, even in NY, is still far away.

That's bad luck. Hope you get a new one up and running without any mishaps, it's going to be hard to cycle it during winter.

Darn, that stinks!! Old age, hm? Such a special made filter is hard to replace, I'd think. Plumbing and all, plus finding another sturdy one. Not all of the 50gl and up rubbermaids are sturdy enough to keep their shape when filled with water. I am glad you found a replacement though.Are you going to run the pond without any filtration then? It is just August - I assume the winter, even in NY, is still far away.
I don't normally shut the pond down for winter until at least the end of September so I have a while yet. I did have a Fluval filter that I used in the basement but it died in the spring so since I have to buy a new one for the basement anyway I'll use it outside first. The water does goes over another small filter area so that should help some. I'm just thankful my dad bought two of the 55 gallon drums when he got them.
That's bad luck. Hope you get a new one up and running without any mishaps, it's going to be hard to cycle it during winter.
I don't run it during the winter. Too hard with 200+ inches of snow. :)