Anybody Go To Mpks Show?

Hi,

I am just wondering is anybody go to MPKS show in Chicago? Show date is Aug 22, 23 and 24. I will be there by 22 and 23 half day. Afterward I have to drive a long journey back to NY. I hope to meet some of our Koko's member there.

Daryl, I will see you there.

Here is their site; http://www.mpks.org/

Yup- I just got back from setup. We set up and filled 67 tanks. Because of construction in the buillding, we are in a different room than before, in the same venue - always before we have had two large rings - one for vendors and one for the koi with the goldfish in the side aisle. This year all the vendors and koi and goldfish are in one ring - it may be quite a squeeze - and very busy.

We ahould bench about 80 fish. I am donating a 9 inch Oranda for the raffle. I am entering about 16 fish..... give or take, depending on what I see when I start to pack. I learned a bit more about the judge today - and I may switch fish a bit to cater to that a bit, too.

There should be some nice seminars and other things to see and do. There will be some fish vendors, too - where you may find a real treasure - and NOT have to pay shipping!!!!

:)

I knew that Daryl will be there for sure - one of the best shows in my opinion. There better be some great pictures here by next week Monday, or I'll throw a hissy fit. :D

Who is the judge this year, Daryl? John Parker coming again as well? Donating such a huge fish - WOW! I know you are pretty busy til Sunday, but if you can find a picture of the giant, that would be great!

The judge this year will be Vicki Knill, a "newly minted" student of Peter Ponzio's. She has been very active in fish for many years.

I am suprised to hear that there is apparantly a bit of a change on how Ranchu are going to be judged. It, of course, changes from judge to judge... but I guess the "new line" is to judge all Ranchu as BOTH TVR and SVR..... a fish has to fulfill both criteria in the same fish! That is going to be a tough one to pull off. I have come to see them as almost two different BREEDS of fish - certainly not easy to combine the features of both in the same fish in a pleasing fashion - at least in my opinion.

It will be a tough show.

I have a wonderful big red Ranchu that is the epitomy of SVR - gorgeous. I have several medium TVR and a few juvenile TVR - but the best TVR spawned and destroyed their tails yesterday ( :( ). I am thinking I will just enter the big red SVR (he is "Ok" from the top) and the juvie TVR - one is fairly nice from the side - and see what happens. :idont

The big red ORanda is the one that was brought to me early this summer. He was run, through and through, by a heron and left on the pond deck. He is all healed and very healthy - but his scales are no longer perfect where he had the large hole. He is a nice show-quality fish, though - could have been a best of breed before his injury! He should be a great thing for someone seeking to breed outstanding Oranda. Since I neither show nor breed Oranda, I need to find him a home. I figured if the club could reap some benefits from him - all the better.

I will take pictures. I am a lousy photographer, but I shall try. I am hoping to fill 13 tanks - but without the two TVR I had planned on, I need to look a little further into my odd tanks and see if I can find someone who could fill out the tanks I reserved.

I ahve Adult Ryukin, "Other", Ranchu/Lionhead and "Eye". I have juvenile Ryukin, "Eye", "Other", "RAnchu/Lionhead" and Shubie. I have been requested to bring a collection of my Phoenix - I may bring some of the fry from last year - they are about 3 inches in body this year, but may be able to squeeze into the juvie class. I am going to take my "best" Ryukin BT fry - little 1 inchers - for judging and to show the three generations in side by side tanks. My Ryukin class will be the biggest.... I have Vincent and Dominick, my identical "enforcers" that I have pumped for a while - they have impressive humps. I have Arnold, a really nice BIG fellow (R&W). I have a 4 inch "Fry" from last year - one of the parents of this year's fry - a solid red BT, and I have the BT fry. I am considering taking Toby, the black and white shorttail again - he has won the Gregg's Choice award for two years running - and it could be fun to see if he gets it again. (Last year they gave up and added Toby's NAME to the trophy - not just "Ryukin" :teehee : ) I have decided to leave Sterling home, this year. He is losing some of his black - and I do not have the strength to deal with TOO many boxes of fish. Arnold is nearly as big - and more classical. I am taking Bubba - the big blue pompon Eggfish - but he is going white - and is now a white and blue fish. He is rather unusual looking - and ought to make the public LOOk. I like getting people interesting in fish. I am taking a couple of the little Bubbleeyes from the carehome's tank. As juvie, I hope they might get a ribbon for that home.

I will pack them up tomorrow morning and haul them out. I will be helping check in the fish tomorrow afternoon.

Come to the show. :)

I've been trying to make this show for years, guys. I have a family wedding this year, and my family from Chicago will be here. Please, please, please take lots of pictures.

Finally I got to the show and had a chance to meet with Carol. She is a wonderful lady known as "goldfish lady" in the show. lol She helped me pick up a good ranchu from Ron. She brought a lot of her fish to show and all those fishes are superb. Very nice to meet you Carol.

In the show, I also met Ron from "South West Koi and Goldfish" and Tommy from "Goldfishnet.com".

Here is the link to picsss