Sbd?

Guest jinyu

Hi!

I have 2 goldfish, a fantail and an oranda. The oranda has had floaty problems before (caused by not soaking pellets, whidh I've now begun to do). The problem is that now it has sinking problems: laying on its side under the filter intake (she can get to other areas of the tank, but seems to prefer it there).

I live in China but can't speak or read Chinese very well, so I can't find testing supplies or aquarium salt or other meds. So I do at least 3 75-80% water changes every week. What else can I do??

Thanx in advance for your help...

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? don't know

[*]Nitrite Level don't know

[*]Nitrate level? don't know

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? don't know

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? don't know

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? n/a

[*]Water temperature? cool to the touch

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? not exactly sure... running 4 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? MinJiang aquarium is what it says on the filter... 600 LPH

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 75-80% 3 times a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 (one fantail one oranda) each about an inch and a half not including tail

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? waterweeds liquid fertilizer conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? JinDi brand pellets for goldfish soaked. I usually feed them once a day, sometimes let them fast and feed peas

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? oranda lying on its side, sometimes twitching (trying to swim or right itself?)

sorry, I know I am missing a lot of critical info you need in diagnosing. I moved all of the gravel away during this morning's water change because I didn't want her to get a bacterial infection lying in dirty gravel. no change in behavior since my last post... :unsure:

Hmmm, well there are two things that would really help if you could somehow figure them out. How many gallons is the tank? If you have no idea, just give us the measurements so we can get a clue. Also, the nitrates. These can really cause problems. Is there an aquarium store or anything that may be able to test the water for you and at least give you an idea of if it's really good or bad?

there is one street here that is full of aquariums and fish seller. I will go today with a bag of tank water and see if anyone can test it for me.

When I got up this morning, I panicked because I couldn't find the little oranda, but she wasn't floating, either. I found here behind one of the plants (still laying down). No change: not worse, not better.

Here are the measurements of the tank: width: 19'', height: 10'', depth: 8''. I took some pics of her, now I just have to get my husband to post them! ;)

there is one street here that is full of aquariums and fish seller. I will go today with a bag of tank water and see if anyone can test it for me.

When I got up this morning, I panicked because I couldn't find the little oranda, but she wasn't floating, either. I found here behind one of the plants (still laying down). No change: not worse, not better.

Here are the measurements of the tank: width: 19'', height: 10'', depth: 8''. I took some pics of her, now I just have to get my husband to post them! ;)

The tank measurements comes down to only 6.58 US gallons...which I am afraid is really very small for a single fancy goldfish..and you say you have 2...In a small tank like that a fish would become stunted with time..Each fancy goldfish needs at least 10 gallon tank...so with 2 fancies..you would need 20 gallon tank with a filter that filters water at the rate of 200-250 gph...I am really sorry but in a small tank despite good water parameters, it is nearly impossible to keep even a single fancy goldfish alive...you might want to upgrade to a 20-30 gallon tank...30 would be better as it would give them the space to grow and swim..I am sure this will really help you solve the problem to a get extent...I would also encourage you to have all the tests at hand...I totally understand you not being able to communicate well there, but you might really really want to find a way out..those babies need a big setup..hope this helps.. :)

ok, I went to the aquarium street, and I found only one street that sells water testing supplies. I assumed there would be one test that checks all the stuff at the top of the page, but there wasn't each test is sold individually (sp?) I saw a test for Ph, nitrite, and nitrate and i think another one that I forgot. Each test is about $15US, so which test is the most important? (I know all of them are important!) ;) But I can't afford to buy them all.... and I don't think they will check the water there without me buying all the tests

No changes with the oranda. I was reading on another thread about someone whose cycle crashed because they changed the filter pad (guess what? I did the same thing)

I think I can't win. I should have never gotten the fish in the first place, because it seems like every decision I make or innocently do (like cleaning or feeding) turns out to almost kill them :cry1 I am SOOOOO glad these poor little fish are not real live children :o

SHE'S SWIMMING!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I've been doing HUGE water changes- planning to do it twice a day if necessary, thikning that maybe I should just put her out of her misery. I just walked by the tank, she looked at me and swam up, up, up (rather than scoot gliding like before) and went to the other side of the tank!!! ( I don't know what she did after that, I left her to write this post) She is still kind of swimming on her side like she's lost her balance, but this is a good sign, isn't it????!!! :rofl

PS poor fish and the fantail have not been named. The betta was named Andy before he even got home.. I think the Fantail is a male. Any suggestions?