Fish On Fish Crime?

Faust

Ok, well it is a question of mine.

Here's the info on my fish before the story:

Black Moor: Bought him as a Med sized fish as my ryukins were nearly his size (under his size but by not much).

Had a lionhead in the tank that was about 6" big and then those two ryukins (scold me, it was in a 30gal tank but

my water was always crystal clear and they were fine). Anyways......

The lionhead got moved to another tank and later got sick and died. So one day I was going into the petstore and I seen a ranchu and bought it. He was small sized. So I put him in the tank with the two ryukins and the black moor (all medium sized fish).

Quickly the ranchu begin to catch up to them in size, but still slightly smaller, although not by much. I had custom tubes from a fluval filter in there and long story short, one day I discover my ranchu had one of his eyes missing! I thought it were those tubes, and since at times my (bought it used, no wonder this happened) filter would leak from time to time, so I tossed it out all together.

So I have regular top filters in the tank, and months later his other eye is missing!

So my question is, can a fish suck out another fishes eyes? Or was he sick? My black moor (for being a fish with sensitive eyes) is the biggest bully in my tank and the most dominating male of him and my other ryukin (because the third fish/other ryukin is a passive female). I was wondering if he is the one who did this.

Anyways, just a question. What goldfish are usually good partners for eachother? I was wanting to make a goldfish pond and not sure what kind I can put together. I am a HUGE fan of Ryukin and Demekin.

It's entirely possible that a goldfish is slightly more "aggro" than others and therefore is possible to inflict damage to other goldfish. Having said that, it's a VERY rare occurrence and all goldfish in general are peaceful to each other. There were theories about ryukins being the bully of goldfish world but IMO it's only a myth perpetuated by several differing instances drawing the same conclusion.

Aggression is not usually a factor in determining "good partners". Generally, you'd do well to pair only fancies with fancies and single-tails with single-tails due to their differing ability to swim and therefore their ability to get food.

• Admin

I had a Fantail that did this to 2 of my fish....The 2nd fish I caught before he got the eye out, cause I saw him attack my oranda....It is possible and sad :(

I had a Fantail that did this to 2 of my fish....The 2nd fish I caught before he got the eye out, cause I saw him attack my oranda....It is possible and sad :(

What's up Koko! Been awhile. Dang, that's nuts. Yeah, I just noticed that my black moor just displays the mating technique with all fish in the tank. He bumps them around and they fear him. But as far as breeding goes, he does get the job done when it is time. Unlike my Calico Ryukin. I hope I can get the Ryukins to breed once I get my pond together. Then I can just try to raise the fry out of the tank in my room.

Sorry to hear you all had experienced that. It got me a lil mad because that was my only Ranchu and I felt so bad for him.