Red Bump Under Raised Scale

gunbunnyj

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? not sure they didn't have this kit when i bought my other tests and I haven't been able to get one yet

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 9.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? about 80

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 110g, a little more than a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 aquaclear 110's and a marineland 150

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1 big change (75%) and a small change (20-30%)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 8" fantail, 3"-4" pearlscale, and 4" lionhead (3 fish total)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel +

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari oranda gold and veggies, and occasionally color enhancing flakes from goldfish connection

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? raised scale w/ red under it

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

I've been on vacation for a week so this is the first water change sincei've gotten back but i checked on the levels and they seemed good. No ammonia or nitrate. I just noticed while cleaning the tank that my lionhead had a raised scale and what looked like a bump under it. When i picked him up it looked red and a little blood came out of it. I picked him up to look at it again and when i applied a little pressure a blob of pus came out.

No new fish have been added. I did add some plants a couple weeks ago but they were quarantined and sterilized with bleach and ppm dips twice and were treated with alum for snails.

I could use some advice on how to treat this. He seems to be eating and acting normal.

Edited by gunbunnyj

We need the nitrates. Can't make a complete analysis of the problem without them. Your other readings are good, but we can't make assumptions that the nitrates are.

The water temp is quite high. If there is bad bacteria in the tank, this will encourage growth. Can you get that temp down with a fan or something?

Tank size and filtration is good, but when you say you do one big water change (75%) and a small water change (20-30%), how often is this? Do you ever do 100% water changes? We need to do a 100% water change once a month because water changes are about more than just keeping down ammonia. They are also about keeping out the bad bacterias. Even though your water readings are good, they don't test for bad bacteria and it sounds like that's what you have.

This raised scale with red underneath is a cyst and sign of an internal bacterial infection. I'm guessing that you put the fish back in the main tank after the cyst popped?

You need to get that fish out of the main tank and into quaratine as soon as possible. The bacteria that is coming out of that popped cyst is very contagious and unhealthy. As soon as you get a quarantine tank set up with the fish, you need to do a 100% water change on the main tank immediately and clean everything and, if you have gravel, do a very, very thorough vacuuming of the gravel. I would add salt to the main tank to prevent anything from getting worse there. You may not need to take the salt all the way up to 0.3%, but I probably would go up to 0.2%. Watch your fish in this tank closely and if you see anything that may seem unusual, let us know.

The qt tank also needs to be salted, starting at 0.1% and working up to 0.3% every 12 hours, and you need to feed MetroMeds exclusively for 30 days. It's good that he's still eating. Getting the med food inside will help immensely. Don't end treatment too soon. Physical symptoms may go away, but the internal bacterial infection will still be there for some time afterwards. Treat for at least two weeks after the physical symptoms heal/disappear. If the fish appears to be swelling at all, gets popeye or pineconing, please let us know. (0.1%=1 tsp salt per 1 gallon water, 0.2%=2 tsp salt per 1 gallon water, 0.3%=3 tsp salt per 1 gallon water.) Do large daily water changes (70%-90%) to keep the ammonia down and to remove any bacteria that may be released from the popped cyst. The water must remain as pristine as possible.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Water change's twice weekly, 1 big 1 small. I haven't done a 100% tank change because i can't get that much out. I've changed it as far as the python goes before it starts sucking air but that tank is untiltable. I can't lift it to get the very last bit of water out. No gravel.

I don't have a nitrate test and won't be able to get for a little while. Quit my job and have no money plus at the moment I'm in the midst of a hurricane. I'll work on this though and see what I can do.

Temp stays around 78-80 most of the year. That's around where the house stays due to being in Florida. There is a fan in the room that remains on high all the time over the tank.

I don't have metromeds but i do have medigold. Can I use that instead?