Drop Test Kits

I was wondering how everyone else disposes of the solutions from the ph, amonia, nitrate, nitrite tests? I know the amonia test has a corrosive agent in the second bottle and warns not to put down the sink. I have not disposed of my solutions down any drain, although I have poured it out in the yard BUT I think that's a really bad idea b/c it can get into ponds, lakes, and the water system.

(I did a search for test kits, but there was 26 pages... I also check in the FAQ's but I didn't see it. If anyone has some suggestions maybe this thread could go in the FAQ's??)

I've never had to do that, but I suppose that the best place would be where they send car batteries and computers. You could contact a local governmental entity, the water company maybe or an auto shop to find out where they dump their batteries.

so you need to check your levels so you fill up your test tubes w/ tank water. you get your bottles like amonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite and squeeze in some drops from whatever test you want to do. after it has set for the 5 recommended mins you match the color of the test tube w/ the card. so now you have your readings and you need to dispose of the solution in the test tube. where does that go? I've started to pour it into a plastic sandwhich bag full of paper towels. I was just wondering what everyone else does since the bottles of chemicals can't be poured down the sink and I was making a huge mistake by dumping it in the yard. thanks guys! :)

Rather than dumping mine I've been pouring them into a glass bottle (like keeping a grease jar, only it's full of toxic chemicals, aha) -- Of course, I have *no* idea what I'll do with it when it's full.... :)

Guest Isilme

Not pouring them down the sewer is a good thing, but you should be very careful when you're mixing different chemicals together. I don't know what's inside all the tests, but it's possible that all these different chemicals together can cause toxic reactions. Better is to keep all the chemicals from the different tests apart. Put the testchemicals from the pH test in one bottle, the ones from the ammonia in another bottle... It's also advisable to use glass in stead of plastic, because some plastics can react with chemicals.

Guest Sly C. Pea
I was wondering how everyone else disposes of the solutions from the ph, amonia, nitrate, nitrite tests? I know the amonia test has a corrosive agent in the second bottle and warns not to put down the sink. I have not disposed of my solutions down any drain, although I have poured it out in the yard BUT I think that's a really bad idea b/c it can get into ponds, lakes, and the water system.

Don't be such a fairy!

I have been pouring mine down the sink for years. No problems.

I'm afraid to say that we too pour it down the sink :donthit: , with plenty of extra water to dilute it though. Given the strictness of European legislation (why won't they sell Prazi here?! :madrant , I would think that, if it were hazardous to your health, it would tell on the box, either in large letters or with some sort of symbol :stop:rules: . So although Isilme has a really good point about mixing chemicals, Miki and me are inclined to see the test kits as harmless (also given it's diluted that much).

(Despite that, I'd like to re-emphasize Isilme's point about not mixing chemicals and plastic. When chemicals are concerned, glass is (nearly) always the way to go)

I dump it right down the sink!

I sent an email off to the company to get there response to this idea. And I will call the customer service number Monday. I'll post the results!

Edited by Jeana727

I need to get a new test tube, one has a chip at the rim so when i'm shaking my test some dribbles on my hand, despite washing my hands the skin touched by the water itches for a while. I then scratched the back of my neck which started itching; basically until it goes away I am not going for a slash.

ANyone know where I can get a new test tube?

Guest Isilme
I sent an email off to the company to get there response to this idea. And I will call the customer service number Monday. I'll post the results!

That is a really nice idea! Can't wait to hear their response...

That is a really nice idea! Can't wait to hear their response...

Ditto!

Although now that I know the rest of the world just dumps 'em, I'm feeling less than guilty about it. :whistle

I always feel guilty, and a little afraid. I dump all my tubes into one cup so the various chemicals are mixing into a little toxic soup. And yes, then I too dump it down the sink!

I'm interested to hear what a company might have to say...probably "dilute it and dump it down the sink" :P

I think my question was valid and it was innapropriate for you to refer to me as a fairy. If you were joking it was not evident considering we are on the internet and not in person so I can't see your expression or hear the tone of your voice.

Ppl dump all sorts of things down the drain all the time but it doesn't make it right.

I'd really appreciate the other member who said that they'd contact the company to see the proper way to dump the solutions. It may mention it in the directions but mine got wet and all the pages are stuck together...lol It's a good thing that on the back of the cards there are the directions. :)

Edited by Martha

I think my question was valid and it was innapropriate for you to refer to me as a fairy. If you were joking it was not evident considering we are on the internet and not in person so I can't see your expression or hear the tone of your voice.

You'll have to indulge Sly. Although sometimes his sense of humor is beyond my understanding :P , I think you'll come to notice that he's a nice guy :) .

Don't be such a fairy!

I have been pouring mine down the sink for years. No problems.

Once you've been around a while, you'll catch onto Sly's twisted, bizarre, demented sense of humor. I LOVE it! I love sarcasm and dry wit. Just look at his avatar! That says it all.... but, in truth, I think Sly's a big marshmallow! There's more sugar in him than a ton of chocolates! I love ya Sly, ya big cheeky blighter! Of course, Sly's in love with Acupunk so no chance for me! :tomuch:

Anyway, your question started to make me feel guilty cuz I've just always washed the stuff right down the drain. Never gave it a second thought.... but, I know that's what I'll continue to do....

Well Darn It! I was so busy at work I forgot all about calling them!!! I shot off another email to an even better source tonight so I should get answers very soon!

AND I put the phone number where HOPEFULLY I won't overlook it! And I will call tomorrow! :rolleyes: