Too Hot!

Guest Danicole

Guest Danicole

*pouts* Okay, so I moved my goldies into my room so I could take better care of them, and now. . . Well, they've been stressed, though the water parameters haven't been different, so I thought to check the temp and it is around 84 degrees. Wayyyyy too hot! I can't put a fan over it since it would either cool my tetra's tank(needs to be warm) or my bird cage(drafty!) I haven't got lights or a lid on it(just egg crate) so I can't get something cooler there, but is there anything I can do to get the tank cooler in the day without fussing with it all day?

that temp on a temporary time limit is not going to do that much damage to the fish. they can withstand temps higher than that. but i would try to position a fan so that i maybe doesnt blow from side to side and upset the other tank and cage. like directly down on it or something. i have used frozen bottles of water and still do. it is not recommended because it can shock the fish with a drastic change in temperature. but if you place it in for like 5 or 10 min, pull it out, let the water get stable for like 10 min and check the temp reading. keep doing it till it gets down a lil bit. putting the bottle in is really only a temp solution to your dilema. i only use it on really hot days that we arent running the ac or if there is power blackouts. see if you can get your hands on a computer fan, the type that goes into the tower and get that rigged up ontop of the tank. going to be cheaper than getting aquarium fans.

Guest Danicole

Problem is that most days I work all day. So I can't just sit the ice in there and take it out later to do it again a few hours later. Would a fan going straight down onto it work well? We don't have any sort of AC in my room.

as long as there is surface water movement it should help. and another thing, add another airstone or what ever you want to use to add more o2 in the water. try dropping the level of water in the tank also so that the water has farther to fall and agitates the water more if you have a hang on back filter

I am from Miami and my water temps are even higher during the summer. During winter they run around 80 and during summer 85-88 degrees in my house. My fish are fine so long as the temps are graudal. What I suggest you do is have several air stones going to provide oxygen in the water. If your fish are not at the top gasping for air then you are ok

Guest Danicole

I have a canister filter and have it aimed where the surface gets agitated pretty well. I'm supposed to be getting a nice air pump in the mail any day now. I've been checking parameters and there is nothing physically wrong with the water(no ammonia or nitrites and barely any(less than 10 ppm) and I've been trying putting an ice pack in in the morning(read to on another fish forum) Doesn't seem to be working well. They are usually at the bottom of the tank hiding under one of the decorations =/ When I feed them they stay out in the water column a few minutes but don't move around much they just kind of sit there and bob in place and don't really attack their food like they always did before. Should I be working at finding another way to keep them happy, or should I start looking into getting them all a new home? I don't want them to stress to death in there, but I can't figure out any way to make them comfortable in the tank either.