Odin With A Cotton Like Covering Him

Guest iaedyene

Guest iaedyene

Odin, my black moor, I had changed the water in his 25 gal tank yesterday and afterwards I noticed he was bottom sitting in the corner. I figured it was because of the stress of the water change but I just got home and noticed that he's covered with a cotton stringy stuff all over him. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas because poor Odin's been thru a bunch in the time I've had him and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to him.

I don't have all of this info right this second since I just got home and I'm about to head out to dinner. I will test the water and update the info when I get home tonight.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? will update tonight after dinner

[*]Nitrite Level?will update tonight after dinner

[*]Nitrate level? will update tonight after dinner

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? will update tonight after dinner

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? will update tonight after dinner

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops

[*]Water temperature? 66.5 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25 Gal, 4 mths - fish has been in for about 1.5 months (did a fishless cycle to get it started)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Eclipse 25 and a Tetra Whisper In-tank 10i

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Ususally every 2 weeks - 30-50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, Odin - Black Moor - about 4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress Zyme, Stress Coat, and Algaefix (I was having a problem with some brown algae and was hoping to use this to fix it for a time being until I can get a bristlenose but I wanted Odin in the tank for about 2 months and I need to get the old tank set up to be quarentined for a bit before adding to Odin's tank).

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day - 2-3 pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Nope

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Cotton like fungus covering his body

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Botton sitting and gasping for air at the top and he rarely ever is up at the top - he's a bottom eater.

Guest iaedyene

Okay. Got the water params. It seems that most of the cottony stuff has come off of him and seems to be hung up on some of the plastic plants I have in the tank. He seems to be a lil happier but still far from his norm. He's swimming around more and not bottom sitting hardly at all. However, it seems his fins are starting to show a little stress at the edges. I'm not showing any gray/chalky there yet.

Ammonia: 0 ppm

High pH: 7.8

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Water temp: 66.5 F

I was trying to decide if he's got a fungus, fin rot, or velvet coming on. He seems to be opening his mouth (gasping) a lot more often than normal so flukes maybe?

I wanted to check with ya'll first though before I started any treatment. Hope this helps and thank you in advance for all of your help.

Edited by iaedyene

I would get him in salt. Also, if you even suspect flukes, it can't hurt to get him in some prazi too. Hikari Prazi Pro

The salt can be aquarium salt, rock salt, kosher salt, sea salt, etc., just not table salt or anything that has been iodized. The salt will treat for stress and bacterial infections. Here is a link to Koko's Goldfish and Salt. You need to start by adding 0.1% salt, then, 12 hours later, upping that to 0.2% then 12 hours later, up it one more time to 0.3% salt. 0.1%=1 tsp salt per 1 gallon of water. 0.2%=2 tsp salt per gallon of water. 0.3%=3 tsp salt per gallon of water.

Remove the carbon from your filter as it may remove the prazi. Do at least one full treatment, 5-7 days, of the prazi. If your moor still exhibits fluke symptoms, give him a rest for 3-5 days, then repeat the treatment.

Treat with the salt as long as needed until he improves. Please get back with us to let us know how he's doing or further symptoms appear. A picture always helps a lot.

Test the water daily and do large water changes as the tests require.

Speaking of water changes, 30-50% every two weeks isn't enough. You need to do water changes weekly and at least 50%. You also need to do a 100% water change once a month with a thorough vacuuming if you have gravel. Water changes aren't just about getting rid of ammonia. They're also about cleaning out any buildup of bad bacterias.

You're overdoing the water conditioners. Some people here don't believe in dechlorinators that have slime coat enhancers at all, but even if you choose to use it, one is enough.

Also, you're better off just leaving the Algaefix out of the picture. There's nothing that replaces cleaning. Another trick in dealing with algae is to leave a little in the tank. Algae is designed to be the first thing that grows in an aquatic environment. Once it's established, it will taper off. If you keep removing it all, it will constantly want to grow back. If you leave a little, on, say, a rock or decoration or uptake tube, it sees that it is established, so the growth will slow down to virtually nothing and will only remain on the tube or decoration or rock you allowed it to grow on.

Oh, and please reconsider the pleco. Plecos and goldfish don't go together. Plecos will develop a taste for goldfish slime coat and they can do some pretty bad damage.

Guest iaedyene

Thanks for the reply. We moved and I'm not sure where my Aquarium Salt is atm. I'll pick some up more tomorrow (will be faster than searching boxes). I have PraziPro already, I bought a bottle while on vacation because it seems no one sells it in Alaska and figured it'd be good to have on hand if anything was to break out in the future.

I've done the salting before when he got ich when I had him in a 6 gal tank.

Good to know about the algae and the growth.

I could have sworn I read on here that bristlenose were the best ones for goldfish. I was sold a chinese algae eater before and boy was that a mistake. I was able to get him out before he did too much damage to Odin.

Now when I remove the carbon from the filters. What would be a good way to store that so that it is useable later? Or do I just throw that away? The 25 gal is our only current running tank. I will be setting up the 6 gal back up to be an quarantine tank for the future, just wasn't planning on so soon. But if need be I'll get it going again.

Guest iaedyene

Well after flukes, ich, and fin rot in the past Odin didn't survive the night. :( He lost all of his color and is sitting in the back of the tank with his mouth open. I am upset because before the water change on Sunday he was fine. I'm not sure what caused this. Well I think I'm done with fish for a bit. Thanks.