Goldielogs

amynmitchell

I went by Aquarium City today and they are usually pretty amazing, but one of their medicated tanks had a dead Lionhead and the other goldies were having a snack...yuck! But they got right on it when I told them about it. The two big fish that came with the tank sold, so that is great news. And they had the cutest little Pearlscales in...if they weren't being medicated I might have taken one home. I bought Tetra Start Safe and am curious to try that. I'm torn about whether or not to add ammonia and try it or save it and see if I fall in love with a fish...I'll have to decided in the next day or so. Okay, I have to go make dinner...veggie pasta here I come.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just thinking about my start in goldfish. Back in late June a friend gave me her ten gallon fishtank because she was moving. It had two neons, two tiger barbs, a Chinese Algae Eater and the cutest little peach and cream Pearlscale. Within two days, I discovered Koko's and the other fish went to my LFS and I added a beautiful calico Ryukin (a mistake in overstocking that I regret). I assumed the cycle kept from before and realized the hard way that it was still cycling.

The Pearlscale developed SWB and dropsy and though I tried everything I could nothing helped. It was around the same time that I added some rocks I siliconed together that she got popeye and the dropsy worsened. Searchlight (the ryukin) started flashing and banging into the sides of the aquarium. I had a big trip the next day, so that night my husband put them in a bucket of water, but they both passed on. I suspect it was a combination of a cycling tank, overcrowding and possibly posion from the silicone.

Since then I have been cycling the ten gallon, until I got the offer of a free 30 with three oversized fish. The fantail didn't make it unfortunately, but the huge common and the kissing gourmi went to the LFS. Then I got down to the unpleasant task of cleaning two inches of poo and gunk out of the tank.

Now it is fixed up, filled with live plants and two filters bringing my filtration up to 350 GPH. The background is painted a bright blue. There is a lovely peice of driftwood and java moss. I just started the cycle last night bringing it up to 4ppm of ammonia and adding Tetra Safe Start...now I just have to wait until I can get fish...that is the hard part.

This whole process has been a huge learning experience for me. I've discovered a new passion and have met some great friends. How lucky is that at 34 years old to discover a whole new hobby that I love?

I'm headed out of town to Chicago for a week early tommorrow morning (kind of irritating, because I didn't want to go, but at least I will get to see my parents). But I am so excited that my tank has cycled and so ready to find my first fish. I hope the cycle holds and Geoff remembers to add the ammonia while I am gone.

Have a great trip Amy!!!!! Tell Geoff if he doesn't remember to add the ammonia that I am going to fly in with the biggest bottle of ammonia I can find and beat him over the head with it LOL

Instead of "I love you" at the end of our phone calls it will be "Did you add the ammonia...oh yeah and feed the dog and cat."

Ahhh.... dontcha just love how we settle into relationships? Actually, I think that's the best part. When the comfort sets in to the point where you can just share everyday life together.

Anyway! It's really cycled?! Woo hoo! So, now when you get back it's time for fish shopping! And picking up my danged piece of driftwood! lol! Gawd! Now that means I gotta clean my apartment!

oh cool...good job Geoff...oh and when ur back..it really means you and Lynda could go fishing for your first fish... :) ..how cool...have fun u gurls... :D

Anyway! It's really cycled?! Woo hoo! So, now when you get back it's time for fish shopping! And picking up my danged piece of driftwood! lol! Gawd! Now that means I gotta clean my apartment!

:lol1 ..I am just like you Lynda..trying to find excuses to get started on cleaning the house...I now realize, dang it looks bad right now...LOL

Lynda, you don't have to clean the house for me...I'm only going to be looking at the fish anyway:)

By the way, while I was away things were very fishy. At a work event there was a henna artist, so I got a goldfish tattoo in henna. And every day when I walked to the office there was a Chinese resturant with two softball sized Orandas in a tank that I said hi to. Sadly, on the last day one of them was upside down clearly struggling with swim bladder. And then a women in the office who I've been friends with for years (but now that I work from LA instead of Chicago I don't see them that often) now has a 4,000 gallon Koi pond she inherited with the house. Her koi recently came down with a serious bought of gill flukes which brought her to Koko's. So as you can imagine we had lots to talk about.

She lost 9 of her koi, but paid someone from the koi society to come over and look at and treat her pond so she is doing much better. Good news!

Well, I did all of my errands yesterday and stopped by Oranda. I wasn't too impressed. They had a tank of little Ryukins with some nice looking ones in there, but there were also quite a few sickly guys so I skipped that. Even though I only had a few hours before my baby shower I had to go to I decided to drive to Canoga Park and check out Aquarium City. They have this adorable broadtail calico pearlscale that I've had my eye on and she would have been my first choice, but Geoff and I agreed no pearlscales. They seem hard to take care of and they really freak him out. I think they are adorable, but oh well. I won't say that I didn't desperately try to call him to talk him into it, but he didn't answer his phone:(

They had a tank full of little Orandas and one in particular caught my eye. She is a tiny little thing (about half the size of my thumb) and I liked her because everytime I walked by she was facing the glass. My only worry was that she seemed to be shimmying alot but it looked like she was doing that to keep facing the front of the tank. I picked her because her markings on her face and one side in particular are really pretty and because she seemed outgoing.

It is so weird though that as anxious as I am for fish that limit of three is kind of hanging over my head and I want to choose well, so I am a bit worried about whether or not I made a good choice. I wanted to get a fish in there soon, because the tank was cycled and I did my seventy-five percent water change and got it up to 0.1% percent of salt in preparation for a fish and I was getting tired of adding ammonia to an essentially empty tank.

Anyway, she is really cute but super teeny-tiny. I was hoping for a bit of a bigger fish but she was the only one (besides that adorable Pearlscale) that really caught my eye. My worry right now is that she is the most terrified fish I have ever seen. She went in the big tank yesterday around 4pm (after much floating and water adding to her bag). She seemd to explore a bit for the first hour, but by the time I came home she was burrowed down behind the driftwood. In fact, she pretty much has hidden since being in the tank...it looks just as empty as before. Once in a while, she gets brave and darts out but at any movement (even me getting up from my chair across the room) she darts back behind the plants or hunkers down behind the driftwood. At first I was worried that she was bottom sitting, but no clamped fins, I think she is just hiding out. If she is swimming a bit and I come up to the tank she goes in a complete panic to get away from my face, flying at top speeds and bumping into the glass until she hunkers back behind something. Poor thing...

I just let her be quiet last night and added some gel food this morning. I used Lynda's garlic press idea, but it turned mine into tiny mush but she is so tiny that is probably good for her. She ate some but only want she could get behind the plants. She is hungry though and seemed to want to eat she was just too scared to come out.

My thought is that she needs a friend. And I haven't medicated yet, so if I can find her a friend today that I love as well I can jsut qaurentine and medicate them together in the big tank. Apex is open and Fumi's might be (thanks, Lynda for letting me know about these places) and Apex just got a goldfish order in yesterday. So I'll go see if something catches my eye. Then I will wait until something really special comes along for my third fish. I think I'm going to hold out until we go to Palm Springs in November for that one.

I just hope that she isn't going to always be such a scaredy fish...I have never seen a goldfish be this shy and terrified. It makes me feel so bad for her...

Awwww how cute! I hope she adjusts well... She's so little, I bet she is just taking some time to get used to her new surroundings...I'm sure if you give her some time, she will come around! : ) Can't wait to see a picture of her! Congrats Amy!!!!!

:Congrats:

As soon as she comes out of hiding and discovers that fingers equal food I will get some pictures... Right now she is hovering around the top of the tank I'm not sure why...she is a little shy weirdo...but a cute one!

She is probably just overwhelmed by all the space at the moment. She probably always been in a crowd and in more or less crowded conditions. Now suddenly she is in a huge space and all alone to boot. Instinct is probably telling her she is a prime candidate as prey and to stay well hidden. A buddy could be just what she needs to make her feel a bit more secure while adjusting to everything. Can't wait to "see" her.

Okay, I just got back from Apex aquarium and found such a beautiful Calico Ryukin. And this one is a big guy for me (bigger than golfball sized). I was torn between this one and another guy and I was standing on this plastic milkcrate for like a half an hour while deciding. I think they thought I was completely crazy, but oh well. They had a whole row dedicated to goldfish. One was full of lionheads (and a mostly eaten dead guy...yuck!) They had two tank of really nice large sized Ruykins. The tank of medium sized ones. Some small ones, a few sickly Orandas, some pearl scales, moors, and a few random celestials.

I really loved this more heavily black Ruykin with amazing long black tail fins, but I noticed lots of splits in those fins and some pretty desperate heavy breathing. I watched him for quite a while. In the meantime, the one I got kept swimming by. He is mostly white with a few great orange tiger stripse and some pretty black freckles. He has a blue undertone to his head. And a great hump for a Calico which is what I was looking for. I initially decided against him because he had a few twists in his tail fins and though I know they are a minor flaw he is really beautiful otherwise. The store guy said he looked like the healthiest in the tank, but who knows. They all just came in yesterday.

I really wanted to see if he could bring my cute little Oranda out of her shell, but he has been in there for two hours and they haven't even noticed each other. He stays mostly in one corner and she hides on the ground behind one plant. I hope over the next few days they will make friends even though she is the size of his tail...

I can't wait to see her either! That little bugger was so hunkered down tonight that I started thinking maybe she jumped out, thoug there isn't really room for that.

I did a twenty-five percent water change and treated with Parasite Clear (next time I am going to buy Prazi). After about a half an hour of putting it in I started to get really worried about her. She was gulping by the filering pretty badly. But now she seems much better. She is currently sucking whatever she can find off the intake tube of my filter. SHe is a hungry little one. She ate well this morning and even risked being by the big one so she could eat.

I have noticed a small red spot by one of her fins...I think. I can't really tell because she hides so much it is hard to get a good look at her.

Anyway, they both seem to be diong well. The big guy is super friendly and all over the tank. He seems interested in her, but gives her the space she needs.

I'm waiting to finish the meds and all to officially name them and take pictures. I guess I am superstitious...I so totally spelled that wrong.

Awww...Amy..I understand, I would have been worried too...glad to hear she is getting used to everything..I really hope she eats well..and mingles up with the ryukin real fast...I really hope she does better and swims a lot...maybe she just needs some more time..with the food you could intentionally drop some where she hiding, like behind the wood...tht way we can at least ensure that she gets her nutrition..with time she will overcome her fears... :heart ..she sounds real cute..and the ryukin must be a handsome guy... :) ...nawwww you are not being superstitious..I totally get tht...dont hurry into pictures...let them settle..take care.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

Thanks, JC. I was worried about her with her reaction to the PC, but it must have been the flukes acting up. She seems great now. She actually got brave this morning and swam all over the tank to eat. She was even side by side with the big guy. Of course, if he takes one look at her she goes flying back to her hiding spot. I think he has gotten sick of her hiding because a few times he nudged her out of that spot very gently. He never chases her, just gives her a gentle nudge and then hangs out with her until she freaks out again and goes back into hiding. So funny.

Next week sometime (or whenever she seems ready) I'll get some pics.

Oh thts gr888 news.. :D yeah must have been just flukes and fear in the new tank..awww..I hope he gets braver and braver each day..and looks back at the ryukin, when the latter checks him out...LOL... :) .. :heart

She is coming around. She still hides about fifty percent of the day, but seems much better. She is out and about right now. Last night I steamed a piece of spinach and put it in the clip and they both ignored it. This morning there was a tiny stem left. I kind of wondered if she got any of it. I got my answer when the Ryukin burped up an enormous peice of spinach tonight. He is messy!

My little one is getting brave. She actually snatched a piece of food from the big guy's mouth (well, it was almost in his mouth) and she is starting to associate me with food. She is sneaking out when I come up to the tank now.

I am a bit worried about a cycle crash. I did a twenty-five percent water change on Wednesday (when I did that my nitrates were at 15ppm) now I tested today and I am still showing a trace amount of ammonia and am only registering 5 on my nitrates....scary.

It will be okay.... I cycled both my 10 gallons with fish. I just did very large daily water changes, kept the numbers down, kept the water healthy and it did the rest.

So I decided it was finally time for a brief fish story and my introduction of the newbies.

I think the real fish bug hit me when I was 15. My family just made the move from Iceland to Mississippi...talk about culture shock! My parents offered to lease me a pony (I had taken some serious riding lessons) or a fish tank. I'm not sure why the fish tank. Growing up my parents had a twenty gallon tropical and enough fish jumped out (probably due to poor water qaulity) that our cat took a liking to sleeping underneath it. We were not rich by any means so I don't know why this offer came about, but I jumped on it and pretty soon became the proud owner of a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I really went fish crazy! I had a beautiful set up and then couldn't stop. Pretty soon my room became filled with ten gallons. Reptiles joined in with a Nile Monitor, an iguana, tree frogs, newts, snakes. I had about every fish I ever dreamed of, even a baby octopus. I used to go to New Orleans to get my fish. There were some bumps in the road as I learned. The morning of my ACTs I lost many fish in the big tank because I never learned about water changes. I'm sure that affected my performance. My most heartbreaking casulty was a super friendly puffer that I adored who got stuck in the filter (most of its side was destroyed). I went on to get a job at Marine Life...the world's crappiest marine park in Mississippi. My official title was "Dead Fish Seller" which meant that I sold dead fish to tourist that came to feed the dolphins. There is a pretty funny story to tell about Beauty Queens swimming with the dolphins, but I'll save that for later. I was able to get very up close and personal with all the marine creatures which cultivated a lifelong love.

Okay...enough of thatfor now. Now to introduce the newbies.

First, we have the teeny tiny calico Oranda with the fused tail named Scarecrow. She is getting braver and bigger by the minute.

Next, is the lovely Calico Ruykin named Tinman. If you look closely you will see some pretty blue undertones. He is a friendly guy and is teaching the little one quickly.

Geoff will help me take better pictures later and hopefully Scarecrow will pose for a few more.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...Tinmanagain.jpg

Oops...this posted before I could add the others. In the first photo on the other post you can see some of Tinman's orange tiger striping.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...ell/TinmanA.jpg

And to see little Scarecrow and the size comparison:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...ndTinman010.jpg