Winged Invader

oliver_black

Looked out of my kitchen window at the pond this morning and saw a large but skinny white bird walking near the far side of the pool, about 20 feet away. I guess he was an egret or something similar. Never saw a bird like that in this neck of the woods. When he saw me, he merely gave me a beady-eyed stare. My Westie, who would normally go bounding and barking, more or less decided he would remain silent and stand behind me. The bird had a long graceful neck, but was not a swan, although the bird did look quite young and a bit skinny. It didn't move when I yelled, but he did take off when I tossed a small stone at his feet. He had an enormous wingspan and decided to re-examine the surroundings from a perch on my rooftop. After a short while, he flew away.

I don't know if it was on a scouting mission for lots of others or not. I guess I'll find out in a day or two. I really can't tell if he got a few of the larger guys or a number of the smaller ones. There aren't too many places where it could stand in the water to feed, except for the step area and a couple underwater benches. I've ordered a net to cover the pool, but it will be a while before it arrives. Meanhile, I'll just try to keep an eye out, although I'll be darned if I'm going to get up any earlier to do so.

oliver

good thing that you are ordering the net. depending on how long its gonna take to get it in, you can check out hardware stores or garden centers. they will carry bird block(netting in different sizes and grade of material) or construction fencing/netting. i dont know how big the pond is but im trying to think of other things that you can use. oh, how bout an air horn? you know those compressed air in a can that people take to sporting events that are really annoying? just make sur ethe dog is inside lol. i will post up somemore if i think of anything else. i hope that your feathered friend doesnt come back, especially with his family.

Yup. It's an egret. Got plenty of those down here. Sounds like a Great Egret. Beautiful birds, but a pain if you own pond fish, lol.

Great%20Egret%203.jpg

BTW, if you're feeling friendly, they like shrimp a LOT. But once you start feeding them, you get a buddy for life. Trust me, I know from experience, 'cept my buddy is a wood stork who feels comfy enough around me to "sit" when I sit, like this guy is doing http://www.suncitybirdclub.org/Wood%20Stor...%202%20TRea.jpg

Yup. It's an egret. Got plenty of those down here. Sounds like a Great Egret. Beautiful birds, but a pain if you own pond fish, lol.

Great%20Egret%203.jpg

BTW, if you're feeling friendly, they like shrimp a LOT. But once you start feeding them, you get a buddy for life. Trust me, I know from experience, 'cept my buddy is a wood stork who feels comfy enough around me to "sit" when I sit, like this guy is doing http://www.suncitybirdclub.org/Wood%20Stor...%202%20TRea.jpg

Yes, that's the picture of my visitor... I recognize that peculiar reverse "S" curve in the neck.

Pending receipt of the web-ordered netting, I placed a couple of plastic chairs so as to straddle the step area and thus minimize any area where the bird could stand.

Didn't see him today. Let;s hope he found greener pond-sures.

oliver