Question Regarding Qt & Treatment

Smilingfish

My sweet 6" blue oranda and his former tankmates had a rough time during shipping to our lfs. He was chosen as the lucky one to come home with me since he looked the least beat up of the group. Most of the fish had clamped fins, a few had lice, and most were either bottom sitting or swimming slowly. I QT'd my blue beauty for the first day in a 10 gallon tank with a Biowheel 350 (carbon removed)but moved him last night to a 29 gallon since he looked entirely too cramped. I added .02% salt to the ten gallon initially as well as a teaspoon of Prazi. He did not eat the first day. In the 29 gallon, now with the BioWheel 350 (with carbon removed), I put 3/4 of the water from the 10 gallon and added conditioned water for the rest. Also added another teaspoon of prazi as well as another .2% salt.

I notice he is not extremely active and he hangs in a upside down torpedo position 40% of the time. Is he most likely still acclimating to the shipping/changes?

And how long should I QT him?

How long to continue the Prazi-Pro? and how much?

How often should I salt his tank?

When do I add the carbon back to the Biowheel?

As always many thanks in advance.

I'm sure stress is playing a big part in all of this and then the parasites are just making it worse.

When you say, "torpedo position," do you mean that he is nose down? How big is his wen? What does he look like physically? What does his poop look like? Is he eating?

You need to qt a healthy fish for at least two weeks and up to a month. So, a sick fish needs to be qt'd until it stops exhibiting ALL signs of sickness and acts like a completely healthy, active goldfish.

A single treatment of Prazi Pro lasts 5-7 days and is normally sufficient, but, as you described rampant parasites, I would suggest repeated treatments; at least two. It is somewhat difficult to overdose on prazi, so repeating treatments is not a problem. So, you would treat for 7 days on, then rest for 3-5 days, then on for 7 and off for 5, etc. If your fish is still flashing against the bottom or sides or twitching or swimming erractically, I would repeat the treatment.

You replace the salt with each water change in proportion to the amount that was removed. If you remove 50% of the water, you are also removing 50% of the salt, so 50% of the salt at the level you're dosing at needs to be replaced.

You can replace the carbon when the Prazi is done.

I'm sure stress is playing a big part in all of this and then the parasites are just making it worse.

When you say, "torpedo position," do you mean that he is nose down? How big is his wen? What does he look like physically? What does his poop look like? Is he eating?

Thanks for the most helpful info!

Yes, his head is pointed downward. His wen is not large. I fed him a day ago, homemade gel food. His poop looks like the gel food but darker. It was trailing a bit and I believe some air bubbles were present as well as some clear sections. Physcially his dorsal fin clamps occasionally. There is no flashing.