Ok So...heres The Plan

Guest Kaija!

Guest Kaija!

Well, i have 1 TINY (and when i say tiny i mean the smallest goldfish i have ever seen) in a 10 gallon tank by himself.

What i plan to do is to get him a friend to go in their with him/her.

I know what his friend is going to be and how big he is, small(i have seen him allready at the shop).

so i plan to put him in the 10 gallon tank with kaija and then later on, once they have grown abit, upgrade them to a 25 gallon tank. Would this be ok for now?

the 10 gallon has good filteration and gets a 50% w/c everyday or at least 2 times a week.

Guest Kaija!

oh and i forgot to say (it wont let me edit) I know the rule is 10 gal for 1 fancy but these are still really small and will be out into either a bigger tank or rubbermaid tub when they grow to big for the 10 gall

umm...I would really have a very good filtration for your 10 gallon..like 150-200 gph..and aeration with a good airstone...I think it should be good..but I would keep a close eye on them and upgrade even if one of them grows a bit..so tht none of them suffer from a stunted growth...also, quaantine the new fish in a separate rubbermaid tub or something...trust me very important..since they are tiny..theyshould not be exposed to disease or anything...and also provide some way to prevent them from getting sucked up into the filter...always keep testing the water..you might have to keep up with water changes..and every 3-4 days I think would be good for ur tank...umm other than tht..Congrats on ur future baby fish!!!..and post some pics too.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

Hi! Nice to meet you! :)

Sunshine girl gave you some good advice.. If you are going to keep two fish in a tank that is too small for them, you must have extra filtration, and you MUST do extra water changes.. Keep in mind, these fish grow FAST!!!! It won't be long before they are going to outgrow that small space and they are going to need the bigger tank. A rubbermaid is a good temporary home, but I would make sure that your parents realize that if you are going to get another fish, it WILL need a bigger space SOON.

Right now I have two fish in a 10 gallon tank. Normally, in a tank with the proper number of fish per gallon, I do 50% water changes weekly. And one 100% full water change monthly. I have my fish in a 10 gallon, BUT I have a 38 gallon that I am getting prepared. So I know for SURE it's only temporary... Meanwhile I am doing extra water changes.. I've been doing water changes at most every 5 days (less time in between if I can manage it), and I've upped the amount. One time i will do 66%, next time 100%. Back to 66%, next time 100% and so forth. It's a LOT of work!!! You have to make sure you have a test kit, and you have to be very commited. It gets really hard after a while. I know it doens't seem like it, but it does!!! lol

I think right now unforunately this has to be something both you AND your parents decide.. Most likely they will have to help pay for the new equipment. Once those fish grow, you will have to get a new tank fast. Which means a larger filter, and a hood, and decorations, and more and more and more.. Are they willing to do this? If I were you I would sit down and really have a chat with them. Maybe even show them this thread and see what they think. If they say go for it, and are willing to help you, then you could make it work.

Also, like Sunshine girl said, you must keep the new fish seperate from the old fish for at least 2 weeks (30 days if possible). Whenever you add a new fish in with your remaining fish you run the risk of passing along disease.. Even if the fish SEEMS healthy.. I learned this the hard way. I brought ONE sick fish into my tank and lost ALL of my fish.. I'm sure you are attached to the one you have now, and wouldn't want to risk getting him sick.. There are things you can treat the new (quarentined) fish with that will help kill off anything. (We can help you there if you do go ahead and get a new fish). Then once you've treated the new fish, and watched him, you can move him into the other tank.

It's all of course, up to you, and what you chose to do.. LEt us know what you decide, and how things go when you talk to your parent(s). Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and someone will be glad to help you out! : )

I have a 1 1/4" lionhead and a 2 1/4" oranda in a 10 gallon cycled tank. They are doing fine. The two concerns with goldfish in a proper sized tank are: 1) maintaining water quality; and 2) stunting.

If you can maintain the water quality, as long as they are small, it won't be a problem.

And when they get to be about 2.5-3 inches is when you would probably need to worry about stunting, so I think you'd be fine for now.

Guest Kaija!

im up to doing the constant water changes, since i find them fun :D

How much do large rubbermaid tubs usualy cost, and will they be ok whilst im saving up for the new tank, my mum still isnt sure on getting me a new tank for my birthday unless they are cheap ones around so im starting saving up strait away AND i will be getting babysitting money asoon as im 14 AND helping out at the hair dressess (all this for a couple of fish lol)

my grandma has a tank which i think she is starting to get tired of so i may get that one.

i have been doing 50% water changes everyday to be on the safe side (also my tank is just finishing its cycle).

My tank isn't exactly full of plants, it has 4 java ferns in a corner that are still young, i hear the less decoration the bigger the tank space for swimming.

Theirs a large tank at petsathome for ?30 which i may by with my money once i have enough.

Ill find out how many gph it does.

is all this ok and sound good? i want to know before getting the new fish to be sure.

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Sounds good as long as you know that its temporary and you are ontop of the water quality constantly. Rubbermades are VERY cheap, if you go to like nnnnnn, they are usually about 10/15 dollars. So it sounds good happy fish shopping! Make sure you don't settle on one that you don't absoloutely LOVE! :)

I'll have to take a closer look at everything tomorrow (I've been gone for 2 days and I am soooo sleepy so I can't read well). But, I agree, as long as you know this is a temporary home, are willing to test the water, and do water changes, this should be okay for a while.. The most important thing is to make sure you don't put the fish in with your old fish right away.. Remember you will want to keep them seperate for AT LEAST 2 weeks, if not a month. It will be hard to resist but trust me, it will be worth it in the end : )

Rubbermaids are soooo cheap. I usually see 18 gallon ones for less that $5 (US). Don;t know what that is equal to, but CHEAP. Just make sure you have a filter in there... Good luck with your babies! : )

Guest Kaija!

Well, i went to my lfs and they had some moors for sale, so i went over and they had a beautiful black and orange one. He is black on top but his underbellie and eyes are orange, but he has a black mark on his eyes which look like angry eyebrows lol

He now lives with Kaija and they seem to get along :)