Living Works Of Art.

Hidr

Well ok. Ill take a stab at it. Even though I have a blog that pretty much is about everything in my life already Ill try to keep up with one more. But I won't promise.

Just on the goldfish huh? That might be hard.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long post so grab some coffee. :read And a comfortable chair. :rest: If you plan to read the whole thing.

Think Ill start with a little fish keeping history. At least what I can remember. :hummm

When I was about 8 or so my parents had a 55 gallon tank. :Aquarium11: Yep it was 55 gallons cause I asked later on when I got older. lol I remember they had an automatic feeder cause my grandparents lived a so far away that we flew there for two weeks every year so had to feed the fish.

I also remember Dad taking all the fish out and taking it apart and carring it to the bathroom and cleaning all the rocks out. I also remember losing a lot of fish. :cry1 lol Duh...

When we move to Mississippi he packed it up and shipped it but it was never set up again and I have no idea where the tank went.

When I was about 14 I got a 5 gallon tank for my birthday and two fish. A paradice fish and a cory cat. :5: The cory cat lived for many years most of them in a goldfish bowl in my sister room. It even froze over one time and the fish still lived for a couple more years. Wow what an amazing fish.

Then after my husband and I got married I got one of the fishtanks shaped like the world globe with the map on it and everything. I bought a white fantail for the 3 gallon tank. Think it lived a month back then I didnt even know about weekly much less daily water changes. :SmackBottom:

Then hubby and I bought a 20 gallon and had some assort fish for the next five years.

When I had my liver transplant I had to live in Texas 3 months. I could not stand not having any pets at all so I bought a calico fantail and put it in :blink: a bowl.

Have no idea how long it lived but it made it two months with me and when I left I let anouther transplant patient have my Peter.

Well it just snowballed from there we kepts many fish mostly angels and kept upgrading and then my husband fell for the oscars. We had one of those for 10 years and that is how we got our first 75 gallon. :r030: He was 10 years old and 16 inches long when hubby did not want to clean up after it now more. He only did once a month water changes its a wonder this fish lived so long. So he sold him to a guy that had an empty 120 gallon tank.

My next adventure with goldfish was one I kept in my 20 gallon a feeder goldfish that I kept with some cory cats and some tetra's. (see I had no clue at one time too)

:o

Well that goldfish did not live long maybe 6 months and I turned the 55 gallon into a goldfish tank. Bought 9 goldfish some commets some fantails. And after about a month (no extra filteration or water changes) they all got fungus and died. :(

So went back to angel fish for many years.

Then got the bug again and found this site. By then I was hooked. The fish did fine but I had one fish to many and then we had a three day power outage and I lost all but two. I was so upset I threw in the towel once more and gave away the other two.

Three years ago I set up again. After losing a few to new tank issues I think I may finally get it. :rockon No I am not perfect and I have still lost some fish but I am getting better at it. :fishtank

Ok enough for this post next Ill have pictures and talk about each of my goldfish Moon, Star and Charm.

Going to start with the goldfish I have had the longest.

That would be Charm. She was sold to me as a black and red and she was on sale. All of 3 bucks to bring her home. Got her July 27, 2006.

Image9-1.jpg

She barely had a wen and was about 3 inches long. She is not 5.5 inches long. (Ill have to double check on that) She is smallish but makes up for it with her long flowing tail. I do love the fact that her wen is nice a round but not so big it covers her eyes.

She is the slowest fish I have. And from time she well get in the current and have issues staying upright. Think that is cause her body is so round. She is the roundest fish I own.

Then come along Star. This is Stars auction picture.

110th20Auction20GN20003.jpg

And this is the latest.

charmnstar817.jpg

S/he was 5.5 inches when he arrived in my home from Tommy's. I won him for 80 bucks along with another fish that is no longer alive (died three months later it was a telescope) Her/his wen is kind of small so I am thinking this fish is under 2 years old. Only time well tell. S/he is now 7.5 inches. Arrived sometime in Oct of 2007.

And the latest purchase was Moon.

Moon817.jpg

Moon was in the wrong tank. So I had to pay oranda price for him/her. 5.99 even though Moon is a fantail for sure. He was about 2 inches when I first got him. Think he is about 4/5 now. I just love white fish and fantails so I paid extra and did not think twice about it. S/he come home on September 22, 2007.

Thats the whole goldfish gang.

GFcontest.jpg

I got five new Koi for my 75 gallon.

Before you freak out they are not goldfish koi but angelfish koi.

fiveofthese.jpg

and I got three silvers they are 1/4 wild types.

threeofthese.jpg

I so miss having angelfish they are one of my faves. I know I wont be able to keep them all but right now they are dime and nickel size. Ill have to see how they get along before I decide who goes and who stays.

I am starting to feel like a bug on the wall. No one has anything good to say? Heck at this point I'd take something bad? Yes I want attention dang it. Not a good trait to have is it?

I am going to be gone a while. We are shutting down the internet, phone and cable. That should save us enough money to keep afloat a while longer. I hope to be back as soon as work picks back up for my husband.

No need to say anything I am shutting this down first thing in the morning so wont be able to check.

Thanks gang. I sure hope to be back soon. And I kind of hope they can't disconect me till Monday. I mean it takes two weeks to get the internet hooked up so hoping it take a few days to turn it off so I have time to get use to the idea.

And the liberry is a walk away so I'll try to check in once a week.

Seems I am not going anywhere just yet. I looked into what is involved in suspending my DSL and phone. Well it cost money up front to do it and then you still pay half the bill. So need to find other ways to cut back while we look for some work.

He can go to labor force or something like that on days he does not have a job lined up.

I well look for a second part time job but I have no marketable skill so....

When I went to be last night all was well with all the fish.

This morning it seems one of the Koi Angel's has gone poof. I can not find it anywhere. Not only that but no one looks sick and I just did a complete water testing and all of that is right.

It was the smallest one so since I can'f find any problems I am going to assume the stress of shipping killed that one and well they made a snack out of it. /ewwww Poor baby.

• Admin

You know its strange. My Dojo years ago jumped out of the tank and my cat Odie just played with it and stood next to it, never trying to eat him....Weird how some cats will and others dont....Im sorry your fish in MIA :(

I think a tank Bermuda Triangle appears AT LEAST once in every tank. It's kinda like the kitty vortex under the couch. You know how you "follow" the cat under the couch, it's out of sight for a SECOND and then it's gone.... Kitty Vortex :P lol

Today is water change day for the Goldfish. I just finished running all the test and everything is perfect. Still doing a water change anyways so it stays that way.

Just now had a chance to read though everything : ) I wanted to be able to read your whole blog so far, not just skim through it.

Your fish are all gorgeous.. Charm has the cutest face, and Moon is just stunning!

It's so cool being able to see how you started out, how you progressed, and where you are now. I really love this blog section. : )

Thank you Sue.

Got an entry for today.

Having to keep a close eye on Charm the last couple days. She has been sitting in the bowl more then normal and seems to be slightly bulging on one side. I am sure she is full of eggs and I have no clue at this time what to do for her. She has always been plump but only in the last month have I noticed the bulge.

This morning she seems a little more herself.

Its been raining for two days now so wonder if that has anything to do with her laziness? Going to go do some research on this matter and keep a close eye on her.

She is still zooming out to eat and splashing at the top of the tank with excitement about her food. lol

I love your Goldies! And how cool are the Koi Angels? I never heard or saw them before. They sure are pretty.

Nothing against Hidr's pics, but I think we all know that, for the most part, pics never do the real fishy justice and koi angels are no exception, but koi angels are way more beautiful in real life. I love their overall whiteness with the splotch of yellow and black on the side. I'm not a tropicals fan, but the only tropical I would keep if I decided to keep tropicals would be koi angels. They are soooo stunning!

Hidr, I like your idea of introducing all of your fish. I'm going to do that in my blog. I think I will also post all the incarnations of my tank as frequent redecorating is my solution to not being able to buy more fish! lol!

Not only do my pictures not do the Koi justice but my understanding is they well get more orange/red as they get older. I am really looking forward to seeing that.

Cant wait till you interduce us to your goldfish I well be sure to read that. I did that for me though. I get sometimes a lot so it well help to be able to just log on here and see the info on my fish. Dates age size ect....