Fishin' In The Dark

CountryLovah

Wow koko, that was fast! You had this blog section up in no time! : )

If I type fast enough, I can always say that I was the first blog on koko's. Can I get a medal for that? LOL

Hi everyone! For those of you who know me, you've come to expect long answers and a lot of yapping. I can assure you this blog will be just that! For those of you who don't know me, I suggest you run away NOW! : ) Before it's too late!

I can't wait to start writing all the fun details of my goldies & how I found koko's. Of course I just can't start off NOW, we have to go way back into the past and really start from the beginning..

Here we go!!!!!!! :rockon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I promised to write alot, so let it begin! : )

Although I have already said it in about 500 threads at this point, a new fish is BIG news. So I have to of course write it down in HERE! DUH! Sure I was going to take a little trip back in time, but that can wait! This is better!

Today I got a call from Ken from Dandy Oranda's about the goldfish auction that just ended. I've been slowly feeling more confident about my fish keeping skills, and my dedication to it.. Because of that I started out with cheap fish. (Think $5 from that pet store everyone knows and loves SO much). Angel was a BIG purchase for me. She was a (OMG) Medium fish and cost $12. WOW. Miranda & Samantha came next and were around $20 a pop... Finally came Kahlua & Malibu who were a wopping $27 each! LOL

Then the goldfish auctions came. I looked at them, and I resisted a LOT. Even missed out on a fish that I can't stop thinking about because I didn't want to take the plunge.. Then came the Black & White Butterfly Moor from this auction. Ohhh I wanted it.. And I told myself no. But as more and more people including Shane convinced me to get it, the more I thought about it.. After a lot of consideration, I placed the bid. I put in a bid for $139, which was the buy it now price. I was willing to spend it, but hoped to go for cheaper.. At first no one bid. THEN THEY DID! Shane & I worked out a plan to get the bidding high enough so that the reserve would go away, and so would the buy it now, so at least I had a chance.. In the end, after waiting and watching, and then waiting again AFTER the auction ended to make sure......... I WON!! AND the ending cost was (Drum Roll Please).....$130!!! OH YEAH! I did it AND got it for cheaper than the buy it now.

This was such a fun experience for me.. And to have such perfect results? WOW! I am beyond thrilled. NERVOUS, but thrilled.. My mind says "you can do it, it's just like the other fish, only most likely stronger and healthier". Another part of me says "you just spend over a $100 on a fish, what if you mess this up?". I'm going to listen to my first side, because why be negative? Besides if god forbid anything went wrong, I know I have all of you to help me out!

So here is my new baby, still yet to be named. She comes on Friday.. He said he could have her here on Wed, but I will be gone Wed and most of Thurs. And I want to be able to spend as much time as it takes getting her adjusted to her new home..

AUC_111_2.jpg

AUC_111_2_1.jpg

Isn't she PRETTY?! (or handsome if it's a he??)

I can't WAIT til Friday! I am sooo excited...

By the way.. Even though this is my blog, I love to hear other peoples thoughts and comments. SO feel FREE to reply on here like a normal thread.. Actually, I insist on it!

Time to get some sleep so I can MAYBE get in a beach trip.. I'll see you guys soon! Nite! : )

I love this pretty fish and am so happy for you. I am in the same boat as you were...I won't spend over $10 on a fish yet, but once I get more confident I will be ready for the auctions. And you know how I know you are ready? You are one of the main people I rely on for advice...that makes you more than qualified for this big step.

I love this pretty fish and am so happy for you. I am in the same boat as you were...I won't spend over $10 on a fish yet, but once I get more confident I will be ready for the auctions. And you know how I know you are ready? You are one of the main people I rely on for advice...that makes you more than qualified for this big step.

Ooooh I can't wait til you get your fish auction fish : ) And thank you also.. Its kinda funny to hear you say that I am one of the people you rely on! I feel like "umm me? I still rely on everyone else".. LOL Thats really nice of you though, I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Hope you like white fish cause that is what it well be. But so cute even when they turn white. Get lots of pictures before the black fades.

Hopefully the black will stay for a while longer.. The fish is 5 inches now, so at least it's stayed for a while! But if the black fades, that's fine. It will still be a beauty. And I will take tons and tons of pics and videos right away so I can see if he/she changes colors.

Well, I think you know how happy I am for you already and I know that you will do just fine with the new addition! :exactly

Thanks Kathy! I don't know whether to hug you for getting me started on these auctions, or slap you LMAO

Well, the last few days have been very busy fish wise.. : )

First thing: BIGGER PICTURES:

AUC_111_21.jpg

AUC_111_2_11.jpg

Even prettier that way right?

Now, although I posted about this in other threads, I was scared to post about it in my blog, because I was afraid things might not turn out how I hoped.. However, I've got some BIG news.

The night Ken called to let me know that I got the B & W moor, he asked if I was interested in getting any OTHER fish. He said he had a nice selection of telescopes that were around $50 and the shipping wouldn't really go up if I added a second fish to my order. I told him that although it was tempting, I would have to say no.. I had room for the B & W, and one more fish. But I was holding out for a certain type of fish.. A few weeks ago there was an auction with a Lavendar Cream Moor. It was sooo beautiful.. I thought about bidding, but I just couldn't. At the time I was still QTing other fish, and hadn't figured out my plans... The fish was sold and for the last few weeks I've been kicking myself for not bidding. I told Ken I wanted to hold out in case another one like that ever came up. He said that fish came in a shipment of Lavendar Chocolate Moors, and he hadn't seen any others with that coloring..

I was so disappointed. I had the chance and missed out and now it was too late. Or was it???

Ken said "I saw that fish just a while ago. That reminds me, the buyer never paid. I need to try to contact them".. He explained that if for some reason the buyer had backed out, he would give me a call and let me know, since I was interested.

Two days went by, and I spent most of those two days thinking "please please PLEASE let this girl back out".. I hoped and hoped, but never thought it would come true... But when I looked at my phone today and saw a missed call from Ken, I thought "could it be??". I called him back and couldn't believe when I heard him say "Well the buyer hasn't paid... If you are still interested, then as far as I am concerned the fish is yours".. So meet my other soon to be new baby:

AUC_109_33.jpg

AUC_109_33_1.jpg

I've gone back and forth on names. When I thought I was just getting the first fish I came up with many names, and had many fun name ideas from different members here. The name Shane suggested was Karma. In a million years I would have never expected Shane to say it was okay for me to get a fish in that price range.. But one night I had been talking about that particular fish for sooooo long.. Shane was having a bad day that day, so I had been trying to cheer him up, and just spend time with him. We were playing games online and I kept writing things on the side of my facebook page saying "Sue wants to buy the black & white moor". (In that section where you get to update what you are doing at the moment..) At one point I looked up and my page had been changed to say "Sue is getting the black & white moor because she is a great girlfriend and she deserves it".

I said.. "no no it's okay". And Shane said "no you are GETTING this fish. It feels like you should have this fish". He said a good name for the fish would be Karma, since by being extra sweet that day, I earned a little extra good karma and shane said go for it with the fish. I loved that name but also considered a bunch of others. One was Kismet.. I had been thinking of names that meant fate, or destiny. That name was cute because we always play a game called Kismet, with Shane's grandmom. But I couldn't decide...

The second I even thought there MIGHT be a chance to get the lavendar moor, I knew if I did I would name the Black & White one Kharma (I like the "h" even though it's spelled wrong), because good karma brought him to me. And the Lavendar would be kismet, because fate had brought me this fish that was supposed to be sold weeks ago..

Apparently fate was on my side! : ) When Ken said I was getting the lavendar moor, I was so excited I couldn't control it. I've been soooo thrilled all day. I can't believe this happened.. Tomorrow night I hope to have pictures of Kharma and Kismet in their new home... It still feels unreal.. : ) If this is a dream, I don't wanna wake up LMAO

Hope you like white fish cause that is what it well be. But so cute even when they turn white. Get lots of pictures before the black fades.

Well, lots of protein and sunlight! That's what HnLim, the master of great fish colors says helps him!

Thanks Kathy! I don't know whether to hug you for getting me started on these auctions, or slap you LMAO

Slap her! Slap her! (remember the cemetary scene from Steel Magnolias?!)

Well, while Lynda is encouraging me to slap Kathy, and Kathy's killer chihuahau is getting ready to attack, I think I'll go back and start my goldfish story now from the beginning. : )

It all began in May 2006. It was the May Fair at my daughter Taylor's elementary school. My mom volunteered to work at one of the booths and was there til the very end of the fair. There was (of course) one of those games we all know and love where you throw a ball in a jar and win a goldfish. (At least the goldfish aren't IN the bowls anymore, but still)

Apparently once the fair is over, if there are leftover goldfish, they are given out to whoever wants them. Needless to say, my daughter came home with a little goldfish in a bag. We had NO idea how to take care of a goldfish, and honestly I really didn't care. (Don't kill me people!). I'd always seen goldfish in bowls, and I thought that's what you did! We didn't even HAVE a goldfish bowl, just an old glass cookie jar, that most likely held less than a gallon of water. Nothing was added to the bowl. Just tap water... No water conditioners. Nothing. I feel like my mom MAY have had a gallon of water sitting out for some reason, and used that. We had a tank when we were younger, but were never serious about it. No one went out of their way to learn how to take care of them really. I think they were tropicals, but there was no heater, or major water changes. We had a lot of dead fish. I clearly remember my brother and I naming a pair of them Mr. & Mrs. Halloween. By the end of our fish keeping, we had gotten up to Mr Halloween 8 or something like that! LOL

I feel like my daughter named the fish something very typical like Goldie. We've tried to remember and no one really clearly remembers the fish or the name. I just found two pics that are blurry but are all we have. I didn't even know we had these pictures. Poor little thing. It looks like it might have been a comet?? (Can anyone tell?)

Goldie.jpg

Goldie2.jpg

Well, I would love to continue on my fish story, but the pics I need for that post are upstairs on a different computer.

In the meantime, a quick story:

Shane had a horrible day so coors light decided to keep him company. lol Normally I would go have some drinks with him, but I have somewhere to go tomorrow and I didn't want to.. I stayed down stairs. About a half hour ago Shane came down and layed on the floor in here. He was either really really buzzed or fully drunk. Either way, he layed down and stared at the ceiling for a second. Then after a minute said "WOW. You really AREN'T going to get sick of this ARE you?" And I said "what? the fish?". And he said "yeah. I thought you would be over it by now. You really are going to have goldfish when you are 60 aren't you?" and I said "well I hope so!". And he said "are you even getting a LITTLE sick of it?" And I said "nope not at all, more interested actually".

He looked so disappointed LMAO.. I should have said "wow, you really aren't getting sick of beer ARE you?" LMAO

Anyway, I know why he thinks this. I admit, I get a bit obsessed with things. (Clearly). But most times those obsessions come and go rather quickly. I'll go through a month (like now) when all I want every day is a wendy's salad. Then I won't eat one for a year. I played a video game on the xbox every day for about 2 weeks, then stopped. (I still say that is different!! I beat the game on ALL hardness levels! What more could I do???? If they make a new game, I am totally buying it!!!). So yes, I do obsess.

However, three years ago when I went to the beach for the first time in years, I remembered how much I LOVED it. I went a LOT that summer, and Shane said "let me guess, this is a phase". Well, it's three years later, and every time you get me on the beach, I don't want to leave.. The only thing stopping me sometimes from staying an extra night is 1) not having enough hotel money 2) Shane won't sleep on the beach with me, or in the car. Cause I would LMAO

So, is it a phase? Is it something I will be sick of? WHo knows.. But I don't think so. Actually, I think it's the opposite. I THINK that when Shane & I got together, I lost a lot of aspects of myself. Hobbies. Like the beach, and pets...I think we've done the things HE likes for so long, that it was easy for me to let those things go. Especially because in the beginning of our relationship I had feelings for HIM, which he didn't have back.. Being a dumb girl, I was willing to do just about anything to make him like me more, and looking back I'm sure that included giving up things I LOVE, to make him happy. This is a strange time for us. I feel like I am rediscovering myself in different ways, and it's changing things. I feel like he doesn't like those changes, and we fight constantly.. It's pretty rough right now..

As for the fish, well I can't see myself waking up one day and being like "nah"... Right now I am on koko's all the time.. I've seen a lot of people come and go away for a while even. BUT they always seem to come back. At this moment, I think "no I will NEVER disappear" but I am sure it will happen to EVERYONE from time to time. But hopefully, in a year from now, or more, I can read back on this blog and think "Sorry Shane.. That was NOT a phase, so GET OVER IT!"

Thanks for letting me steal your buttons, Sue!

I think that is usual in a relationship. Women are so used to focusing on others that we tend to do that in relationships and then at some point we wake up and go, "who the22 am I?" and that is when we rediscover ourselves. It can be hard for guys to grasp at first because all of the attention isn't on them anymore. But eventually they learn to love us for who we actually are and then this is when relationships really grow.

Thanks for letting me steal your buttons, Sue!
Sure Amy!! It's fun to see someone else using them : )
I think that is usual in a relationship. Women are so used to focusing on others that we tend to do that in relationships and then at some point we wake up and go, "who the22 am I?" and that is when we rediscover ourselves. It can be hard for guys to grasp at first because all of the attention isn't on them anymore. But eventually they learn to love us for who we actually are and then this is when relationships really grow.

Yes he has the hardest time with the attention factor.... This has been building for some time with us.. If it were up to him, I would just follow him around 24 hours a day.. : ) (I can't help it, I'm just so cool like that! lol).

Hopefully we can straighten things out.. Things have just been sooo stressful lately and its really taking a toll. There's a lot of stuff going on that I haven't even mentioned to you guys on here, and all the stressors are just getting overwhelming and it's not helping us in the arguing department. Not giving up though.

This is exactly what I am going thru...exact same things...of course issues may be different that are causing stress...but yeah the fish and the rediscovering myself part... :exactly ...my bf isn't getting over the fact that he has to share my time with the fishies... :) ..he keeps saying...this is exactly what is going to happen when we have our babies (human babies)..I keep smiling...and I even said..well so this is a good warm up/practice for you...LOL... :D ...tough times and arguements but well we are working it out.. :) ..don't give up Sue...even am not...nothin better than having a very good friend who loves to talk and share lives even at the age of 60.. :) ...I am sure things will get better.. :):hug

Thanks J!

:hug Right back atcha! : )

I know things have been so rough for you lately too...I am hoping the same thing, that things calm down, and we can BOTH work things out... This is just getting weird though. We keep following the same pattern, with fish, guys. Everything! LOL.

Hahaha I love that you tell him it's good practice for him! LOL That's too funny.. Now he's probably thinking "okay fine sweetie, go get more fishies". I'm gonna try that with shane. "Shane, can I get a ranchu tank?" "no" "Shane I think I want another baby". "Go for the Ranchu tank" LMAO I just wasn't using my womenly manipulation powers to my advantage! lol Thanks for giving me an evil scheme..

Thanks J!

:hug Right back atcha! : )

I know things have been so rough for you lately too...I am hoping the same thing, that things calm down, and we can BOTH work things out... This is just getting weird though. We keep following the same pattern, with fish, guys. Everything! LOL.

Hahaha I love that you tell him it's good practice for him! LOL That's too funny.. Now he's probably thinking "okay fine sweetie, go get more fishies". I'm gonna try that with shane. "Shane, can I get a ranchu tank?" "no" "Shane I think I want another baby". "Go for the Ranchu tank" LMAO I just wasn't using my womenly manipulation powers to my advantage! lol Thanks for giving me an evil scheme..

:rofl:pp ..I am sure things will get better.. :)

My true belief is that there is no "one" person out there for anyone. I think there are lots of "ones" and even "soulmates"...I just believe that when you find a person you love and connect with it is a lot of really hard work to make it work. A lot of people just give up and look for something better and find out that they have the same problems with someone else because most of the problems are internal. So not giving up and both of you working hard is the key to relationship success...at least in my opinion.

And stress plays a huge role. Every time I leave for a trip and come back we get in a huge fight (which sucks because I travel so much) and it is only because we are stressed out. I know that but it still hasn't changed things.

On the other note, Geoff really absolutely does not want kids. I think he is in constant fear of my biological clock starting up, so goldfish are a much better solution than a baby for him. I think he will let me upgrade to as big of a tank as we have room for as long as I say, "well, a little human would be so cool, but I couldn't do that with a bigger tank." The next day I would probably come home to find an Olmpic Sized pool installed in our loft. :unsure:

Oh I agree.. Things have been sooo stressful around here, and it's been making the fighting soo much worse. We argued last night for HOURS! I was trying to explain myself and it just didn't matter WHAT i said, he didn't seem to get it.. It's been SOOO hard lately.. We talked and yelled and eventually got things settled for the time being.. He's just been in a bad mood lately ALL the time. It's really frustrating.... Then the more of a bad mood he is in, the more I tend to hide away alone, then he complains I am not around enough, but when I am around he is in a bad mood. It's just this bad cycle...

I think I am going to have to get koko to open another blog section just for complaining about NON fish related things LMAO

So what are you feelings about having a baby? Is it something you want? Will you be happy if you never get to have one? Actually, growing up I never wanted kids. And Shane said he wanted a couple. Then, we had Taylor. Now Shane says he does NOT want another, and I think I am happy with one..I love having her, and I wouldn't change it for the world. But I don't want another one..

Yep...that fighting cycle sucks and it is majorly exhausting. But I think it is totally normal to go through that in a relationship especially when you reach a period of change. You just have to get through it and maybe do fun things that don't leave room for much talking like the movies. Or even doing some kind of sport helps. I'm not very sporty, but doing something active where you are supposed to try and beat the other person totally helps.

I really wanted kids when we first were planning our wedding. It was a real problem and we went through premarital counseling and our agreement was in seven years we would start talking about the possibility. Our seventh year anniversary is in a few weeks and Geoff is even more sure on not wanting kids and I won't go so far as to say that I don't ever want them, but right now I don't. I'm totally conent and happy with things the way they are. I'm getting a bit older (34) so if the time passes when I'm too old and we decide we are interested then we can always adopt. But for now I'm cool with that. And if we ever did decide one is probably our limit, too.

Right now, goldfish, dogs, and cats our good enough for me.

Been there, done that. 3 different times. 7 years, 4 years and 10 years. Of course, always talking, cooperation and compromise are the best choices. People tend to just give up so quickly anymore without really trying. But, a lot of times, people don't know how to talk. Instead of TALKING WITH each other, they YELL AT each other. And they think that getting help to learn how to talk constructively somehow means that they're "losers," that there's something wrong with them. Just like we had to go to school to learn everything we now know, sometimes we have to go to "school" to learn how to "listen" too. Very few people have ever really learned how to "listen." But, as we're all different, we all have different interests and values and they will never, ever completely jive with someone else's. Thus, if you need to share your life with someone else, arises the need for compromise. But, all the compromising in the world aside, I warn on this only because I've been there. There is a fine line between compromise and losing yourself to save the relationship. Compromise means give and take. But, that give and take must be 50/50. When you're doing all the giving, there's something wrong. And there are always going to be "deal-breakers." Things that are so special to you that it is selfish and inconsiderate for the partner to expect you to give up. There are plenty other areas in which to do the compromising. And, when you find yourself losing your self-respect, questioning your worth or value, it's time to start looking at what caused that. Maybe the spouse, maybe the job, maybe family. Whatever. When that happens, you can't let it continue to happen because, bottom line, nothing and no one is worth your loss of self-respect. There is nothing more terrible than thinking you're worthless, except for the person(s) or thing that caused that to happen.

Anyway, my :twocents .