Clams?

Guest Kaija!

Guest Kaija!

my grandma is bidding on 24 live clams for her aquarium and she says i can have 1 or 2 if she gets them, they are being sold on ebay as 24 aquarium clams filter freshwater pond koi clam live. They feed on algea and fish waste so they work as well as a natural biological filter (thats what it says anyway). Has anybody every had these before and are they ok with goldfish??

Hmm....I'm curious now. Clams aren't particularly "pretty" so what would be the purpose of adding them to a tank? I'd think they'd put out just as much waste as any fish, so they don't really help keep it that much cleaner, do they?

The only good thing that I know clams are good for is eating :unsure:

Guest Kaija!

heehee, iv never tried clam so i wouldnt know lol.

Im not getting a clam anyways because i found out that the baby clams are parasites and kill the fish. no chance of me getting one now lol

I had a few clams in with my goldfish before. They were small, maybe 1/2 inch in length. The only time you saw them was when you uprooted them because they like to say in the gravel/substrate. I think my cory cats or dojos ate them because I found the empty shells when I didn't see them for a week or so. They did filter the water but they were so small I doubt they made a difference. I am thinking of buying a few the next time I buy more plants for my tank but I will see what happens.

• 1 month later...

I had a nasty experience with shellfish when my teacher's goldies got sick after the muscles were added. One fish died but the other was saved, thankfully. I'm unsure on this one, but I'd play it safe and keep them away.

Edited by Sheep & Toeby