White Spot On Goldfish Fin!

Guest SaitenMar

Guest SaitenMar

Hello there,

I'm new here and in need of some advice. I currently have two Shunbunkin Large Goldfish that I've had for about a month now. These being the first goldfish I've had a good few years (since I was about 8 actually :rolleyes: ) I've been getting some great advice on the web. But while doing my usual cleaning I noticed one of the fish as a white spot on his fin. Its placed where the fin connects to the body and looks a little red. I always take a good look at them and they both seem very happy and haven't done anything unusual at all. Its possible it is some sort of Bacterial infection from what I have read but I'm still unsure. Its only on the one fin and as I said, he doesn't seem in any disconfort from it at all. Infact they seem very healthy as I bought them from a very good aquarium. Its only the one fish that as this problem the other seems fine, but if this is a Baterial problem then I would like to get it fixed before it gets worse!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the matter and what would be a good course of direction to fix the problem. I now that there are medicines for this tho I'm unsure which ones are the best. Being a newbie in my own personal view, I'm looking for a little advice. Any questions I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance :ill

Edited by SaitenMar

:welcome

What you describe could be several things (bacterial or parasitic) and in order to make an accurate diagnosis we need to know, when you got these fish (how many months or weeks ago) and the details of the tank set up and water changing schedule you have them in/on. To this end, there is a white box above your first post, I know it's a pain but could you run through as many of these Qs with answers as you can so we can get a better picture & help you best.

Guest SaitenMar

Haven't done any water testing just yet, but I am going to pick up some tests.

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[A] 60x30x30 (54 Litres)

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[A]A VitaTech Internal Filter, not sure of the size as it doesn't specifically say. It came with the aquarium though.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[A]I change a third of the water (as stated in the begginers guide book I bought) around every week at the moment.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[A]Two Large Shunbunkin Goldfish.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[A]Use TetraAqua AquaSafe For Goldfish (to neutralise the chlorine in the water).

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[A]Once every day and I feed them normal Aquarium Goldfish Flake Food.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[A]No, they were both added together and were actually both on their own in the Aquarium.

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[A]No.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[A]No, only the white spot I noticed today on the one Fish.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

[A]No, they are both eating well and are very very active. Especially the one which as the white spot on the fin.

It's probably something that can be corrected with more frequent water changes. You don't say when you bought the fish but since you have a beginner's guide book I imagine these fish are fairly new. This means your tank will be cycling and the once a week water change is not adequate. This is the amount established tanks get changed out after they have gone through the initial laborious nitrogen cycle which takes at least 6 weeks of partial daily or second daily water changes.

This extensive water changing in the first 6 weeks allows for a colony of beneficial bacteria to build up in your filter that utilises the fishes waste products later and so keeps the water safe.

A water test kit, especially during these difficult first weeks is really important so you can monitor safety levels of ammonia and nitrites and pH -and change water out accordingly. 9 times in 10 small spots and other small probs are to do with water.

To supplement what Trinket said, here is Koko's link on the Nitrogen Cycle. It is very important that you get drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph and test your water every single day. Additionally, as Trinket said, you must do daily water changes while your tank is cycling, oftentimes as much as 90%-100%. Your water changes are based on your test readings. You need to keep your readings as close to 0 as possible.

In addition to the fact that your tank isn't cycled, you have, by your own statement, two large shubunkins. These two fish themselves are going to create huge amounts of waste, which is even more reason for daily testing and huge water changes. And, finally, a 54 litre tank is far too small for two large shubunkins. You will never be able to maintain your water readings at healthy levels as well as the fact that this small of a tank is going to stunt the growth of these large fish. You need a tank that is at least twice the size you have now. And, as filters that come with aquariums are generally gauged toward tropical fish, which don't need as much filtration as goldfish, I'm going to guess that your filter is much too small and inefficient as well. For goldfish, you need a filter that moves 10 times the water per hour as the size of the tank. So, for a 54 litre tank, you would need a 540 lph filter.

Finally, it should be standard treatment for all new fish as soon as they come home to be quarantined in salt and prazi (praziquantel) for a period of not less than two weeks and up to a month. It is just to be assumed that all new fish have been exposed to flukes and other bacterias. You can order Hikari Prazi Pro online. Dose prazi at 1 tsp per 20 gallons of water for 5-7 days. If the fish are scratching or rubbing up against the bottom or sides of the tank, swimming erractically or fast or are twitching or acting like something is "itching" or bothering them, rest the prazi treatment for 3-5 days and then repeat the treatment. Even if they don't act like anything is bothering them, you should treat with prazi at least once; for 5-7 days.

The salt can be aquarium salt, rock salt, kosher salt, sea salt, etc., just not table salt or anything that has been iodized. The salt will treat for stress and bacterial infections. Here is a link to Koko's Goldfish and Salt Article. You need to start by adding 0.1% salt, then, 12 hour later, upping that to 0.2% then 12 hours later, up it one more time to 0.3% salt. 0.1%=1 tsp salt per 1 gallon of water. 0.2%=2 tsp salt per gallon of water. 0.3%=3 tsp salt per gallon of water.

These are general, standard treatments for new fish, but the salt should also treat the white spot and reddening you mentioned.