Plants And Salt?!?

Guest Andy Faulding

Guest Andy Faulding

Hello,

When treating goldfish with salt, do plants need to be removed from the aquarium??

If yes, how long do they have to be in a different tank until it is safe to return them?

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Depends on the plants...Some plants like Anubis dont mind the salt. Others like Sword plant can handle it very well and will get burned...If they are the more fragile plants, I would put then in another filtered container and leave them out of the salted tank till you have done atleast 2 40% water changes this will make sure there isnt any salt at a level that will hurt them :(

wow..never dealt with plants ever...but this just struck me..and would be good info to have on hand..if there is some harmful bacteria or bad bugs that may have attached themselves to plants..how can we make sure tht the plants when returned to the main tank don't carry those bugs and not infect the tank again??? just pp them???

wow..never dealt with plants ever...but this just struck me..and would be good info to have on hand..if there is some harmful bacteria or bad bugs that may have attached themselves to plants..how can we make sure tht the plants when returned to the main tank don't carry those bugs and not infect the tank again??? just pp them???

If you want to 'clean' your plants, a short PP bath would be the best I think. That would remove most bacteria and larger parasites that might live on or in the plant, and if the bath is short enough, it won't do that much harm to the plant.

• 2 months later...
What's "pp"? I want to disinfect my plants I bought recently but I have no bleach. Can I give them a little salt bath? I've done thins before but how long should I do it?

What you need to know about PP and the other most used methods of disinfecting can be found here: How to disinfect