More Fish Store Sightseeing

lynda441

So, today, I first went to visit Amy in her loft in downtown LA. Her new tank is really very beautiful and she's just waiting for it to finish cycling. And her little puppy dog is just a love bucket and her kitty is a skeerdy kitty, but it was still a big, fat sweetie! She had to go pick up the hubby, so after we left, I decided to go visit some fish stores on her side of town. There are some shops I'd heard of, so I wanted to check them out. Downtown LA is on the east side of the Los Angeles valley. I live on the far west side, almost to the beach, and, frankly, driving downtown and all those freeways is so bizarre!, so I NEVER get to that side of town.

The first store was called Fish On The Wall. Not there anymore. Oh well. The next store was called Fumi's Fish. 95% tropicals, 4% saltwater and 1% goldfish and ALL of them were single tails. Not one single fancy. I don't have room for single tails, so, so much for that. The last store was called Tokyo Aquarium. I wasn't impressed when I saw some saltwater fish in plastic balls like the little exercise balls you put your hamster in. Reasoning please? Then, further down the line, I saw some white parrot cichlids with dye injected pink and blue stripes. Definitely not impressed with that. BUT! They had jikins. I was amazed! I don't have room for a jikin but I thought it was very cool. And they actually looked very healthy. Now, if they'd been tosakins..... hummm.... The also did have fancies that were okay. Nothing particularly spectacular except for one 2-3 inch ryukin. Not particularly well-bred as far as a noticeable hump, but it was the most amazing violet blue. Some calico on the top, and then the sides and belly were that violet blue. It was the most beautiful color I'd ever seen! If I didn't have a calico ryukin already and no particular room to spare, I most definitely would have bought it!

On a whole, not impressed except for the jikins and the one violet blue ryukin.

Oh, and btw, Amy..... those Tetrafin crisps...? Well, they bled the red dye, which didn't look too appealing and, although they did finally eat them, my fish didn't get excited about them at all. I doubt I'll feed them again....

Oh...wow...you girls met??...how exiting??..Awww..I wish I cud see you guys too..and your wonderful tanks and babies...in California but still far away.. :( ..I ll plan an LA trip and then see you girls.. :) ..

Oh I am sorry Lynda, you didn't find anything gr88...but you guys met..thts awesome.. :)

Everyone's in CA and gets to hang out and I am here alone in PA.. It's just me & Kathy and we are still at least 5 hours away from each other I think! I'm moving to California (Kath you come too!)

Let's have a Koko-convention! Everyone come out here and have a weekend fish party!

Thanks for the kind words, Lynda and the nice visit. It has been a crazy day...after locking myself out (I really am normally not that flakey) and picking Geoff up I dropped him off and went to run a gazillion errands, including the dog park for Sparrow and finally grocery shopping and on the way home the Check Engine light came on in the car. So this is the first time checking here today...I spent the rest of the time online looking for an honest mechanic...ugh!

But, I am glad for the update on the fish. Any chance that Ryukin was colored as well in some way? I may have to go check that one out.

I did my water testing an hour ago and it seems I'm starting over from scratch on the cycle. Doesn't look like any of my nirtites remained from the ten gallon. Oh, well.

I think those crisps are headed for the garbage...yuck!

And I am ready for a fish convention any time you girls make it out here :rolleyes:

BTW, I think Oscar liked you better than anybody else who's come over...the fact that he didn't hide is a pretty big deal.

Thanks for the kind words, Lynda and the nice visit. It has been a crazy day...after locking myself out (I really am normally not that flakey) and picking Geoff up I dropped him off and went to run a gazillion errands, including the dog park for Sparrow and finally grocery shopping and on the way home the Check Engine light came on in the car. So this is the first time checking here today...I spent the rest of the time online looking for an honest mechanic...ugh!

But, I am glad for the update on the fish. Any chance that Ryukin was colored as well in some way? I may have to go check that one out.

I did my water testing an hour ago and it seems I'm starting over from scratch on the cycle. Doesn't look like any of my nirtites remained from the ten gallon. Oh, well.

I think those crisps are headed for the garbage...yuck!

And I am ready for a fish convention any time you girls make it out here :rolleyes:

BTW, I think Oscar liked you better than anybody else who's come over...the fact that he didn't hide is a pretty big deal.

Murphy's Law. You can't just have one thing go wrong! Do be careful with mechanics. I've been royally screwed, but, then that was up north, but still, they can be awful! But, then, those lights can mean anything. Doesn't have to have anything to do with an engine. I hate the terminology they use; "Check Engine." Sounds like your car is going to blow up.

What do you mean, "any chance that ryukin was colored as well in some way?" Anyway, I know you're going out of town. If you did want that ryukin, or any fish, I could babysit it in my empty 10 gallon until you come back or you're tank is cycled, whichever. You gotta come out for the danged piece of driftwood, so if you got a fish, you could bring it with. Yes, people, I went down to see Amy, basically, to bring her my extra piece of driftwood. That was the main point of the visit and I FORGOT IT! Lame! Of course, maybe that ryukin wouldn't be there by the time you got there or maybe you wouldn't recognize it... oh, but it was such a stunning color of violet blue, you'd have to!

Anyway, rambling! Hope you get your troubles worked out!

And, Oscar let me rub his ears and chin too! And he liked it! He closed his eyes and lifted his head.... mmmmm..... purrrrrrr......

You forgetting the driftwood gives me an excuse to bring a fish to you and see your guys.

I have to go to bed soon to get up for the car shop (I read tons of reviews, so if I find one I like I'll let you know), but I meant is there any chance they injected die into the goldie. I've never heard of them "painting" goldies so maybe this one is just particularly pretty. We may have to go check him out:)

the Check Engine light came on in the car.

take it to any auto parts store, they can check it for free. they just hook it to the machine and look up the code that flashes.

hey lynda, do you ever go to orange county. there was a great shop in anaheim that i used to get my goldies from when i was lived there. oh, and ive been in oklahoma for 2 yrs now, i miss the traffic, the ghetto birds, and so many other things. born and raised oc but worked all over the state (especially dwntn)till i came here. i gotta get back there soon

You forgetting the driftwood gives me an excuse to bring a fish to you and see your guys.

I have to go to bed soon to get up for the car shop (I read tons of reviews, so if I find one I like I'll let you know), but I meant is there any chance they injected die into the goldie. I've never heard of them "painting" goldies so maybe this one is just particularly pretty. We may have to go check him out:)

OH! I see! Injected dye! NO! No way. It was not injected. This was its natural color. I'm sooo lame! I had my camera in the car. I forgot I did just like I forgot the driftwood. I could've taken a picture of it, which is the EXACT reason I brought the camera, because I knew I was going to the fish shops and that I might want to take pictures.... Gawd I hate getting old......

the Check Engine light came on in the car.

take it to any auto parts store, they can check it for free. they just hook it to the machine and look up the code that flashes.

hey lynda, do you ever go to orange county. there was a great shop in anaheim that i used to get my goldies from when i was lived there. oh, and ive been in oklahoma for 2 yrs now, i miss the traffic, the ghetto birds, and so many other things. born and raised oc but worked all over the state (especially dwntn)till i came here. i gotta get back there soon

No, I don't go to the OC, but I could, maybe, if I thought there were good reason. I think Beancurd Turtle lives down that way! You miss the traffic? You ARE joking, right?! lol! And, "ghetto birds?" what are ghetto birds?

I can get into the shop until the next half hour...so I'm about to head there. But I have a trip to Tokyo Aquarium on my list as well.

And you calling yourself forgetful...do you remember who locked themselves out of their apartment? :unsure:

Lynda, once my tank is cycled do you want to go fish shopping??? I should PM you on this, but don't really know how to use it.

Yeah, I'd like to go shopping with you for fisheshes.

To PM, click on the person's name in their avatar. A drop-down list will show with things like, view member profile, add as a friend, send message, etc. Click send message and you're ready to go!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Okay...I just got back from Aquarium City. That little lionhead of yours was still there and so darn cute. They also had two adorable calico pearlscales that looked really healthy and a calico Ryukin that was more white than anything with a beautiful black stripe in the middle. I'm still planning to head to Tokyo Aquarium...do you know their hours? I can't get anything but a busy signal from their phone.

Nope, I didn't even pay attention to what their hours are.

But, I did go back; heck I don't have anything else to do, and took some pictures. They still don't do justice to the blue, but the real blue that it gets is only seen at certain angles.

BlueRyukin001.jpgBlueRyukin003.jpg

Edited by Lynda Von G

Huh....Looks like my little fancy, but mine's got more orange. Maybe mine's a ryukin or a mix of it.

Those crisps...My guys love them. I guess goldies are as picky as people when it comes to food, tho.

I know. It almost looks a bit more like a fantail with a broadtail. But, the body is rounder than a fantail. Like I said, the hump isn't outstanding for a ryukin.

Oh, he is cute! I wish I could see that blue...I may have to drive down there. Calico Ryukins are prone to having high humps I've heard. I guess if you can find one with a high hump it is prized, but heck I doubt I'll be doing any shows anyway. I am really in love with the guy I saw at Aquarium City...he is a bit larger, maybe two inches, and more white with speckles, but had this amazing black stripe that went around his midsection. I think he was like ten dollars and if he wasn't in a medicated tank I would have bought him and taken a drive to your house, Lynda (of course, I would have called first).

I'm hoping my tank will cycle a bit more quickly with this BioSpiore stuff I bought and maybe when I get back from Chicago we can go fish shopping and who knows he may still be there.

I was going to say why didn't you get him?! Well, hopefully they'll get him better for you! Yeah, the blue just doesn't show through like it does in person.