New Fish!

Guest dcninja

Guest dcninja

We decided to try goldfish again...

29 gal tank, cycled finally :)

we got a small gold and a small black fantail, and an orange and silver lionhead... they're all fairly small...

the black one is bottom sitting a lot and not terribly active, i hope it's ok...I'm worried I'll wake up and have dead fish and have to start another 2 months cycling all over again :(

So, your tank is cycled. Are you salting and doing prazi?

Hey! Glad to see you are trying goldies again! : )

Prazi and salt are the two of the things you need when getting new fish.. When you first get a new fish, you don't want to just plop them into the tank... (Trust me I've done this before). Especially when you already have fish. They can carry disease and they can spread to the fish you already have, and you can end up with a tank full of sick/dead fish. (Again, happened to me).

Right now all of your fish are new, so they don't have to be kept seperate from any other fish, but they should still be treated the way you would a new fish. Basically the quarentine procedure. Normally the best thing to do with a new fish is to keep it in a seperate tank. I've been doing 30 days of quarentine... Between Salt (not plain table salt, but there are various forms you can use which will be listed in a link I will post) and Prazi (you can find this sold as PraziPro in liquid forms in many pet stores, order the liquid form online, or you can order the powder from Goldfish Connection-that's what I use) you can kill most parasites and disease in fish.. They are both safe and effective to use for QT.

The laying on the bottom could mean a lot of things. One of them could be flukes, which prazi will kill..(Most fish from pet stores come with flukes) Your fish could also be stressed from the move, water quality, or various other things. If your fish does not improve you should open up a thread in the disease & diagnosis section, and answer all of the questions up top, and someone can help you. As of now, the best thing you can do is treat with salt, prazi, and keep on top of your water tests, and do extra water changes if your fish appears sick or stressed.

The following link will explain salting. How, what kind of salt, how often to add it. etc. When I get new fish I treat them for two weeks at 0.3% salt... I treat the fish with prazi for the whole 30 days...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Congrats on the new fish.. :Congrats: ...oh yeah, the salt an prazi, its important...Sue has given you a very detailed description of how you can go about the process..you should do good...and I really hope with the this process your black goldfish perks up and starts being active...totally been there like Sue..but trust me things would get better if you follow the steps carefully and watch them closely...It would be quite easy since your tank is cycled and all..hope it gets better....and any doubts please ask questions..dont worry..and take care.. :)

Guest dcninja

the black one died, i think it had something wrong with it, the other two fish are doing great! I did salt as I've had that from my last attempt, but prazi... i can't find. anyone know of any stores in the virginia beach area that have it? I've tried petmsart, allpet inc. , and animal jungle and I can't find prazi... any alternatives to it that won't harm my fish that work?

I'm so sorry that the black fish died. Hopefully the salt (and soon prazi) will kill off anything and the remaining fish will do great! : )

If you can't find Prazi anywhere, I would go ahead and buy some from GoldfishConnection.com. The prazipro. They ship pretty fast and it's worth it.. Prazi is sooooo safe on the fish and usually safe on the cycle. It's worth it.

Also rememeber to keep checking those tests... When you add fish and sometimes salt, there can be a small bump in the cycle. If ammonia or nitrite start showing up again, you will need to lower them with extra daily partial water changes.

Good luck with the two fish you have.. Once they are settled in, we expect pictures! : )

I'm sorry to hear about your black lionhead. He sounded beautiful. :tou

Pure prazi is difficult to find. You usually need to order that online. Hikari Prazi Pro I would suggest ordering it. What you can do in the meantime, is to look for something at your lfs that contains "praziquantel" in as large an amount as possible. One medication I can think of is API General Cure.

Guest dcninja

once i treat everything, would it be safe to get a third fish to the mix, since I had 3 to begin with, in a 29 gal that should be good if i get small ones for now right?

Guest dcninja

i ordered prazi from goldfish connection... today i went to the pet store i got API general cure im going to use that now just in case... i couldn't resist so i also came home with a copper colored black moore... in addition to that, i started a 10gal tank with some of the water from my 29gal and I'm putting 2 little neon tetras and a black snail in it :) I went a little overboard, but I think things will be ok.

Guest dcninja

why do you hate them? I did try to feed some tropical flakes today, they ignored them, and my snail is hugging a pebble for dear life... i think the 10gal is gonna be my freakshow tank... on top of that the tetras stay on one side by the fake plants and cave thing and stare at their reflection (i assumet hey think the reflection is more fish)

Yeah. They like to be in schools rather than pairs.

I tried neons but they ended up being too delicate for my life style. I lost them all within 4-5 days after buying them. They were fine, then one lost it's color and and the rest just dropped like flies after that. I tried again after bombing the tank and starting fresh, but the same thing happened.

My Rasboras lasted a lot longer, I had fun with those, so not all tetras are evil to me :)

Guest dcninja

turns out we got neon and cardinal tetra... we now have 6 small ones in the tank along with an apple snail... wow... that sounds almost like it's too many...

Guest dcninja

woke up this morning, barely any time... tested goldfish 29gal for ammonia, zero ammonia, tonight i can run the nitrite nitrate and all that and change water if possible

in the 10gal with apple snail and 5 tetra... one tetra dead on the filter... i removed it but now i have to go to work, i wanted to test for ammonia, but the tube knocked ovrer and now i have to go...i did add a capful of amquel just in case...advice? when i get home around 4:00est i'll test more and stuff since i'll have time

Guest dcninja

all the water in both tanks tested fine... in the 29 gallon the nitrAtes were 5ppm, but i read 50 is the harmful spot... so i'll probably do a water change tomorrow or the next day...

as for the one tetra that died, i dunno... maybe stress of changing environments was too much, but the 5 remaining are doing great and zipping around to eat and all... the snail is doing alright too... the goldfish are fine happy, swimming around, eating... I think I've finally got things where they need to be... the whole cycle and water change thing still scares me that I'll crash the cycle even tho it's finished or something... but as of right now, I think I finally got it right! :) I'm so happy.