Help Please

Guest Kaija!

Guest Kaija!

hello,

i got my first goldfish today after being told that you where suppost to let the water sit for 2 weeks in the tank by a friend.

but then i was reading up and found out that you are suppost to cycle the tank for a month. Kaija (my goldfish) seems ok at the moment but he keeps going to a corner and sitting their, is this normal for new fish or is their something wrong?

He is in a 10 gallon tank on his own with some java ferns (i think)

oh and he is a fan tail if that helps??!!

Guest Isilme

I'm not a mod, but if the water is fresh from the tap and our tap-water is ok (no nitrates, nitrites or ammonia) I don't think the stress your fish is displaying is water related. Maybe he is just nervous and stressed from the shipping and the new environment.

Make sure you water chemicals are ok (you can buy tests for this), check the temperature is right (18 degrees Celcius is good, 25?C is a real maximum) and check that the fish has enough oxygen in the water (do you have a bubbler and a filter?).

I changed my tank two months ago and because it was an emergency I put all my fish (4) in a new uncycled tank with new filter material and no water or material from the other tank. I added a bacteria starter and after 2 days my tank cycled... Ok, this might have been a lucky shot, but I've never ever had troubles with my cycle or the health of my fish.

Edited by Isilme

Guest Kaija!

so him hiding is normal ... good :)

do fish get lonely? would it be ok to get him a friend for now, since the fish are only like 3cm each, and then once they are bigger i will invest in another tank? or would that still overcrowd them, my tank has a filter but no bubbler. i have nitrite tests but cannot find any of the other tests, is that ph and the other ones i cant remember the names of?

Guest Isilme
so him hiding is normal ... good :)

do fish get lonely? would it be ok to get him a friend for now, since the fish are only like 3cm each, and then once they are bigger i will invest in another tank? or would that still overcrowd them, my tank has a filter but no bubbler. i have nitrite tests but cannot find any of the other tests, is that ph and the other ones i cant remember the names of?

I didn't say that the hiding is normal. IF:

-your water is perfect

-the temperature is perfect

-there is enough oxygen

-he has enough space

then the hiding is probably (but not certainly!) because of the new environment.

One goldfish should have AT LEAST 10 gallon (45 litres) per goldfish (I know some people here say 20 gallon, but for a beginner that's mostly not possible). If you want more fishesn you should by a new tank. Keeping a goldfish with others is always nice, so he's not alone.

Maybe you should read this first: http://www.firsttankguide.net/goldfish.php Kokos has much more (an better?) information, but this is a good start.

Guest Kaija!

oh!

the temperature is fine, he has enough space, i dont know how to tell about the oxygen, is their tests for that to? and not sure about the water, need to get a test kit.

thanks for the link

Guest Isilme

There is a test for oxygen too yes, but if you make sure you have a bubbler and your filter stirrs up the water so you have waves in your tank (you also have plants and they produce oxygen too), you shouldn't worry.

Guest Kaija!

yep i do use dechlorinator :)

filter makes waves in the tank and their are quite alot of plants in their too :D

Edited by Kaija!

ok, that's good, you said you let your tank water sit for 2 weeks. have you changed the water since or is the water your fish is in right now the same water that has been in the tank for 2+ weeks? water changes are important to keep your fish safe while you are cycling a tank, because the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the water are all harmful and need to be kept under control (i know i'm being vague, can someone please elaborate for me?). and if you havent changed the water for 2 weeks, it might be a good idea to do a dechlorinated, temperature matched change 40-50% of the water just to be on the safe side. it can't hurt.

Guest Isilme
i did a 50% water change before putting the fish in the tank and am also aware that i shoulkd change the water everyday, yes?

No not every day. Onces a week or every two weeks 30% is good.

i did a 50% water change before putting the fish in the tank and am also aware that i shoulkd change the water everyday, yes?

thats great kaija, youre on the right track! now just get those testing kits for ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nirAtes (drops are favored around here, strips are known for being inaccurate) and monitor the levels of your water until your tank is cycled!

is your fish doing anything else weird besides hiding? does he have any strange white spots or red streaks on his fins/body?

its probably stress from being in a new tank, but i could be wrong. so i'm just gonna ask about everything to be sure =]

Guest Kaija!

nope, and hes started to come out of his hiding spot, he is now playing in the current from the filter lol is their away to make the current not as strong because it is qiute strang?

i think since she is cycling her tank with the fish in it, she should be changing the water more often than this to keep the ammonia levels down, no? when i was cycling my 10 gallon, i tested my water everyday to decide on water changes. i usually changed about 40% every other day. but it depends on your readings of ammonia & later, nitrites/nitrates , really.

Guest Isilme

i think since she is cycling her tank with the fish in it, she should be changing the water more often than this to keep the ammonia levels down, no? when i was cycling my 10 gallon, i tested my water everyday to decide on water changes. i usually changed about 40% every other day. but it depends on your readings of ammonia & later, nitrites/nitrates , really.

Indeed, it depends on your readings when the tank is just cycling or trying to :) That's why you really need testkits!

I've always been extremely lucky, as I said, my tank was cycling from the second day on, readings are always perfect and my cycle is that good that after a holiday of 4 weeks (with no water changes at all), my readings were still in the danger-free zone :) (but ok, I admit, I have a really big tank for only four fishes and my filter is overkill!).

oooh, 1 day im going to get a really really big tank with lots of fishies lol. thats not realy likely but still :D

i'm on the same boat as you =] i have one 10 gallon with a black moor, and my parents wont let me have a bigger tank even though i was offered a 42 gallon from my friend. =[

but just stay strong, until you know you can provide the best possible home for your fishies !

and also, when all is well with you and your new fish (whats his/her name?), you MUST POST PICTURES!!!! :exactly

Guest Kaija!

heehee, his names Kaija (hence my username lol) its finnish for pure (i think).

Yup, my mum and dad say im not getting another tank, if i want another fish then get one and put it in the one you allready have, but when i say its not big enough they say, the fish are tiny, im sure your tank has room for another one :( lol

heehee, his names Kaija (hence my username lol) its finnish for pure (i think).

Yup, my mum and dad say im not getting another tank, if i want another fish then get one and put it in the one you allready have, but when i say its not big enough they say, the fish are tiny, im sure your tank has room for another one :( lol

thats exactly what my parents say loL! they just dont understand....

its a shame =[