Sign in to follow this  
goldenlady

One Or Two Filters?

I have a 30 gallon aquarium with 2 four inch and 1 seven inch goldfish. I have not introduced the big goldfish into the 30 gallon tank yet, but its quarantine period is almost over. I am using an Eheim 2213 filter, and because the new fish is so big, I am considering adding another Eheim 2213 or replacing it with a bigger filter. Will using 2 Eheim 2213 filters mean my filtration is equal to that for a 50 gallon tank? I see particles floating through the water at times and wonder if I should have a more powerful filter. Will adding another Eheim 2213 work for me? I have a chance at buying a new 2213 for under $80. Buying the next highest level is going to cost much more. I'd like to not have to change to a 50 gallon tank if I don't have to. Also, would I need a UV filter with the kind of bio load my big fish will introduce? Thanks for any help with my dilemna.

Edited by goldenlady

I tend to believe that if you have room for two filters, do it! This is especially important with large fish (as you've noted), and can help when needing to replace filter media, without totally wiping out a cycle. I'm not familiar with Eheim filters, I stick to HOB, but... Based on what you've mentioned, it soundsl like your current filter cycles 500 GPH. So, if you were to add a second filter that would be 1,000 GPH running through your tank. What type of goldfish do you have? You may want to consider whether your fish are strong swimmers. Although I think that is an awesome amount of filtration and can definitely prove to be beneficial, I am curious how your fish would react to the increased current? You would definitely need to break it up by having plants or caves, etc. to provide a "quiet" place.

WoW! That oughta keep it clean! Gee, I have an AQ110 on my 29 & it keeps the water very clean.....with weekly water changes! I would think that Eheim would do a really good job!!

The Eheim 2213 filter is supposed to handle 39-66 gallons, and right now it is handling the filtration fine for 2 four inch fish (that includes the tail fin. The bodies are about 3 inches), but I do see bits of stuff floating in the tank from time to time, so I wondered if I should add another Eheim 2213 to guarantee clean water when I put the 7 inch goldfish in with the others. I hadn't thought about whether this would create too much of a current. The smaller fish are a moor and a ranchu. The big fish is an oranda with flowing fins. What do y'all think I should do?

I know we SAY 1 fish per 10 gallons, but Goldfish can get REALLY big & will sometimes mess that rule up. I usually have 2 medium sized Fantail/Orandas in my 30 gallon tank (right now it's Buster's hospital tank). The two are fine in there. I have a Common that is at least 6 inches (not counting his huge tail) but I would not put him in the 30 gal tank. Just not enough swimming room.

I discovered that I was supposed to clean my Eheim cannister every 3 or 4 months, that is rinse out the medium with aquarium water. I hadn't changed the white filter or swished the medium in a year! That's why debris was floating about! :-) I expect that things should improve since I've rinsed out the medium and wiped out the cannister. It was gunked up with a lot of green slimy stuff. I rinsed out the medium, replaced the white filter and put back the water in the bottom of the filter with aquarium water. I think I cleaned the filter correctly. I will add the big fish to the 30 gallon tomorrow and transfer the Eheim Classic HOB filter to the big tank, also. I do 33% water changes once a week, too.