Rescued Morr With White Eyes

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

Or I should say, white eyE. She only has one eye but I don't know for how long. There's a shell for the missing eye, but if you look UNDER the fish you'll see that the eye socket is actually hollowed. Theres just this.... Casing still attached to the fishes face. The very top of this casing is white. Almost as if part of the eye is still there but is dead. The other eye is still intact but I don't know if the fish can see out of it. The bottom of the eye looks a little swolen, plus it's white. Just like the other eye. I'm afraid that on the inside of the eye everything is rotting away. It's not fuzzy looking by any means, and the fish is rather robust looking aside from the eye troubles. She's alone right now in a bucket. I'm not sure if I should medicate her at all at this point.

There are no water readings as I've just made this bucket up for her.

Other than a few roughed up scales and some minor fin-fraying she looks ok. Not eating though.

Tissues around eyes are white and dead looking, not fuzzy, should I medicate her? Or use salt only and wait and see?

Edited by Halloween

I am so sorry to hear about your Moor. Could you please answer all the questions in the box above, that would be helpful:

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Okay, on to my own questions.

* Is this Moor a rescue? If so, how long have you had it? What's the situation surrounding you acquiring it?

* Does the fish have one functional eye and one eye that is missing?

* Do you know what caused the fish to lose it's eye? Trauma? Infection?

* Do you have any medications and/or salt in the water as of yet?

* Can you post a picture of the fish so we can see what's going on?

Sorry I'm not much help! Please keep us posted on how your fish is doing! :)

Edited by Desiree

Guest Halloween

I thought I was pretty clear in my initial post but I suppose I can say everything again.

I RESCUED her from the store, my subject SAYS "RESCUED Moor".

There are NO water readings as this is an emergency bucket of water I made for her.

I have no idea what caused the injuries, probably human negligence.

No I do not have a photo.

I rescued a moor that was just like this, only both eyes were empty instead of just one. I kept him in salt for about a month, and during that time I noticed white *stuff* kind of flaking out from the underside of his eyes. After a few weeks, though, the flaking stopped and he seemed completely better!

Except, you know, for not having eyes.

But anyway, that was about two years ago and he's still living a very happy life with a neighbor who absolutely fell in love with him, so... hopefully the same happens with yours! (Although maybe there's something else you can do to save his whole eye; I didn't need to worry about that since both of my guy's were already rotting out.)

Guest Halloween

Thanks for that!! Although she DOES have 1 eye, it looks under developed. Almost like the eye grew in, but it never functioned. It's small, doesn't move, and it points at a strange angle. I'll use salt for now and just sit back and watch for any fungus.

The thing you'll want to watch (and this is going to sound super gross, probably) is that when she gets better you don't keep her in a tank with small rocks. I walked into my room one day and my moor was swimming around with a big blue rock jammed in his eye socket. He shook it loose later and didn't seem any the worse for wear, but... I screamed a lot. So you might just want to avoid the whole experience. ;)