Tank

Hi today I got a new 15 gallon fish tank for my 2 goldfish I set it up a few hours ago. I am really excited and it has a good quality filter. I will post pics later, any advice on the tank?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi today I got a new 15 gallon fish tank for my 2 goldfish I set it up a few hours ago. I am really excited and it has a good quality filter. I will post pics later, any advice on the tank?

Hiya,

Unfortunately, 15 gal is too small for two goldfish. If you can get a bigger tank, that would be better. Even if both your GF are fancy type, then min. size is 10 gal per fish. If they are commons, that means 20 gal per fish. If you just got the tank, there's a chance the store may take it back and allow you to get a bigger one, otherwise make sure you stay on top of the water testing and the water changes or the water could become toxic very quickly. With a tank that is too small, you are looking at water changes anywhere from 2x a week to everyday depending on the size of the fish, the kind of fish, and whether you have cycled medium to help the new tank to cycle. I'm glad you are excited. That is great. Just be aware of the danger to your fish if the water turns bad okay?

Have you read any of the pinned posts on new tanks and cycling? This is a very good one that a friend, Macbook96, added to his signature. He's the same age you are and new to GF keeping. http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Good luck.

actually 15 gallons is more than enough. This tank is about this big fishtank-20t2-20060529.jpg

Actually Roni is right. The 15 gallon may be ok for now but soon u will need to upgrade the tank. Goldfish can grow very big and produce alot of waste. Glad u r excited to set up a new tank for them though :) . Maybe soon u'll be setting up an even bigger one :) .

Hey! :welcome I'm the guy Roni mentioned. and I'm gonna tell ya straight up that... your tank isn't big enough and I know what your thinking. but its the truth and the reason why were trying to help ya is because we all care here and I was where you were too: ok heres my story: it was May of this year about.... May 25th or so (school just ended) and I wanted a new pet I went to nnnn and I wasn't into reptiles so I went with fish I was quite fond of them and a researched goldfish on Wikipedia. I found that goldfish would be good fish for me because my parents and I keep our house kinda cold.

the

I would recomend that you tell your parents to get you a bigger tank. just remember that we all care here. and good luck

no thanks, I do not want a bigger one and 15 gallon is enough for 2 fish, It is much better because I upgraded from a 2.65 gallon tank so please do not tell me that.

I am not trying to be rude or mean, but please read up on all the problems others have had here. This site has many pages of what to do and not do where Goldfish is concerned. If you look here, http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll202/e...um/100_3363.jpg you will begin to understand what too small of a tank will do to your fish. It won't take long before that 15 gals gets too small for your fish and they will get sick. Watch for the fish sitting on the bottom and not swimming, holding their fins close to their bodies, not eating, red blotches, and the fish gulping air at the surface. Those are just the basic signs that the water has become toxic.

2x daily water changes might be necessary until the new tank cycles, after that it will probably require daily changes. If you have a water test kit, (a drop tester is best) keep a daily log of your tests. We will be here if you need us.

Unfortunately we can't force you to listen to us, and just as unfortunately there is a very good chance that your fish will get sick and die if you ignore what we are trying to tell you. I know you think that tank is big, but I have 1 common and almost lost him. He's 10 years old, and he is now in a 38 gallon tank because he almost died in the 12 gallon I had him in. That's only one fish in that size tank, while you have two. Your fancy will probably be the first to show signs of stress. Commons are hardier so they can handle bad water better.

I hope it doesn't come down to your fish getting sick before you will believe us. Good luck, and remember we do care and we will be here to help you if something goes wrong. If it does, just go to the 911 area and post. Someone will help you very quickly there.

no thanks, I do not want a bigger one and 15 gallon is enough for 2 fish, It is much better because I upgraded from a 2.65 gallon tank so please do not tell me that.

Your logic confuses me. Your very own signature reflects that you champion 20 gallons for one comet and 10 gallons for one fancy. I love your signature! It is a beautiful reminder to everyone of the proper way to take care of goldfish. So, why is it you don't feel you need to follow what you yourself espouse?

Edited by Lynda Von G

Great question...I was wondering the same thing. I love the excitement and the nice setup, I just hate to see it go wrong with overcrowded fish. Most of us have made that same mistake and it has been heartbreaking.

Lyndas right like roni said we will be here when you need us because truly everyone cares. everyones nice and caring I just hope you see what were saying before it's too late. :cry1

Disease Forum (go to the emergency forum if necesary)

also... go to that link under my signature

also...... look at some other signatures they have other links to help!

P.S. play around the site

Edited by MACBOOK96

Right you have two so doesn't that mean that twenty gallons would be the minimum that they would need? We're all just concerned for your fish, they'll get huge and 15 gallons won't be nearly large enough. I have only three fish in a 55 gallon and it's starting to seem crowded in there. And remember that the bigger the tank the less maintenance issues you'll have.

I would also suggest you get a second filter rarely is the one that comes on the tank enough. You need 150 gph or more would be better since you are over stocked. I woluld try to get up to 200 gph on it.

And do 75 percent water changes every week and feed lightly.

Or take one of the fish back till you can get a bigger tank.

Good Luck

Hon, you are very young so I am going to try to explain this to you nicely. :D Your first post asked for any advice about your new tank. You were given wonderful advice, and in your sig it shows that you KNOW that 15 gallons is too small for 2 fish. So this isn't something that is a complete surprise for you.

While they are tiny you might get away with it. But you KNOW that very shortly you are going to have to get a bigger tank. So what is the point in arguing and being snippy with the kind people who are trying to help you? Keeping 2 goldfish in a 15 gallon tank that you know is too small is animal cruelty. You can be stubborn if you wish, but if you just want to be told what you want to hear, you've come to the wrong forum. Here at Koko's we care about fish. We care about people who come here asking for help. If YOU don't care, then we can't help you, unfortunately.

WOW....

Everyone's been so nice to you...I think your statements are too rude..not tht I wouldn't expect ths coming from a teen..thts ok...but Lynda is sooo right abt your signature...The first thing tht caught my eye was 15 gallons for 2 fantails and you preach 10 for each..."why the double standards"...sorry but seriously everyone is polite to you..and you are just being mean to everyone by answering like tht...umm..I ll just pray for your fish...and hope that you grow up soon and take the right decision for your pet..

I alsmost lost my 2 goldies becos I didn't quarantine the new one I added..all of us have been there..all the advices are coming from ppl who have had good and bad experiences..who learned it the hard way..or just decided to be mature and do the right thing...Roni, Lynda, Macbook96, Vickie, Amy, Heidi, Maceo and everyone else is so right when they say get a 20 gallon tank...its just 5 gallons extra..trust me it wont hurt anyone..but wud make an awesome home to ur fishies...frankly even a 20 maybe small when they grow up..cos they grow..seriously they do...people here have gone from keeping a baby in a 20 and as it grows they have had to upgrade to 50 for just 1 fish...we all know tht you are just in a state of denial..u might have reasons...but for 15 gallon..you might want to get just 1 fish...trust me all this comes from people who have been in this serious fishkeeping hobby for years..I am still new and learning..but I am already preparing myself to upgrade by the beginning of next year, even though I have 2 fish in a 20...cos we all believe in seeing our pets grow and flourish like we would like our babies to...you are young...but I am sure you really care for your fish..so take everyone's advice and do the right thing for your fish...good luck...

Edited by SunshineGurl

your fish will eventually outgrow the 15 ...if there is no new tank in the near future do as Hidr says to keep your fish healthy...but there will come a time when it will not work anymore as the waste out put his far greater than the volume of water ..I know going from 2.5 gallon to a 15 is a big jump and seems like they have lots of room ..but as a fish is growing they release grwth inhabitors and that needs to be changed out so in smaller water the growth inhibitor is greater causing stunted growth ..their bodies will stop growing but their inner organs will not, causing them to be crushed in a body that will not grow no more due to improper housing and tank maintnence .. :) ...

Hon, you are very young so I am going to try to explain this to you nicely. :D Your first post asked for any advice about your new tank. You were given wonderful advice, and in your sig it shows that you KNOW that 15 gallons is too small for 2 fish. So this isn't something that is a complete surprise for you.

While they are tiny you might get away with it. But you KNOW that very shortly you are going to have to get a bigger tank. So what is the point in arguing and being snippy with the kind people who are trying to help you? Keeping 2 goldfish in a 15 gallon tank that you know is too small is animal cruelty. You can be stubborn if you wish, but if you just want to be told what you want to hear, you've come to the wrong forum. Here at Koko's we care about fish. We care about people who come here asking for help. If YOU don't care, then we can't help you, unfortunately.

Thank you, Here is why I can't get a bigger tank, I talked about a bigger tank to my parents and told them I weanted one, so my parents said ok. We got to the petstore and I saw a 20 gallon tank for $140, Then they pointed at a 15 gallon for $100. They got the $100 15 gallon tank

WOW....

Everyone's been so nice to you...I think your statements are too rude..not tht I wouldn't expect ths coming from a teen..thts ok...but Lynda is sooo right abt your signature...The first thing tht caught my eye was 15 gallons for 2 fantails and you preach 10 for each..."why the double standards"...sorry but seriously everyone is polite to you..and you are just being mean to everyone by answering like tht...umm..I ll just pray for your fish...and hope that you grow up soon and take the right decision for your pet..

I alsmost lost my 2 goldies becos I didn't quarantine the new one I added..all of us have been there..all the advices are coming from ppl who have had good and bad experiences..who learned it the hard way..or just decided to be mature and do the right thing...Roni, Lynda, Macbook96, Vickie, Amy, Heidi, Maceo and everyone else is so right when they say get a 20 gallon tank...its just 5 gallons extra..trust me it wont hurt anyone..but wud make an awesome home to ur fishies...frankly even a 20 maybe small when they grow up..cos they grow..seriously they do...people here have gone from keeping a baby in a 20 and as it grows they have had to upgrade to 50 for just 1 fish...we all know tht you are just in a state of denial..u might have reasons...but for 15 gallon..you might want to get just 1 fish...trust me all this comes from people who have been in this serious fishkeeping hobby for years..I am still new and learning..but I am already preparing myself to upgrade by the beginning of next year, even though I have 2 fish in a 20...cos we all believe in seeing our pets grow and flourish like we would like our babies to...you are young...but I am sure you really care for your fish..so take everyone's advice and do the right thing for your fish...good luck...

I am sorry I was rude, but I was so frustrated my parents won't let me get a bigger one

yes that is what I figured ...Parents need to research more on what pets they are giving their kids and what requirements they need ..maybe in the future you will be able to ask for a 20 g ....or bigger :D ..for a birthday or christmas ...just don't get anymore fish :)

ya, my parents were about to get the 20 gallon so they put it in the cart and they are like hey! look $100 why would we spend an extra 40? so thats what happened. When my fish outgrow their tank I will ask my parents to get a bigger tank. Maybe this christmas!icon1.gif I am not getting any more fish

nice talking to you

bye

:D ..lets keep fingers crossed ..I love getting fish equipment for christmas!!! ..also there is a lot of nice used stuff on craiglist

Me too! it is so fun! I am going to ask for eqiuipment for my goldfish for christmas.

I apologize to everybody who answered my question, Please forgive me