Home Made Ceramic Decorations

I have been doing ceramics for over 20 years. I have made my own dishes and whatnot. I was wondering if it would be safe to make my own decorations and use them in the tank.

The slip that is used is lead-free, and the glaze is classified as lead-free, food safe. As long as I make sure 100% of the bisque is covered with the glaze, possibly firing them and glazing them twice to be sure, would this be safe to use in my new tank?

Sure Roni! I don't see why not! My Mother used to have a kiln and we did all kinds of stuff. Its dishwasher safe and safe to eat and drink from as long as its glazed and fired as it should be. Just don't forget to also glaze the inside to seal it. How cool to be able to make your own decorations! :)

Edited by vickielm

It should be fine, even unglazed.

Once the ceramic reaches a high enough temperature in the kiln, most anything that could leach into the water is burned off, or is bound in the flux and becomes part of the stable ceramic material.

Some unglazed ceramic may absorb acids and change the PH, but it should become neutral fairly soon. Just be sure if there are hollows that there is enough circulation to prevent organic materials or gasses to collect that might increase toxicity.

And be careful of sharp edges that can damage your fish, or open spaces thay may swim into and become trapped.