New Blue Oranda

Smilingfish

Since I lost 2 a couple of months ago to a probable bacteria in a QT filter (both black-one a pearlscale and the other a bubble eye) I decided to lay low and withhold any urges to add goldish to my tanks. Or until today. We visited our fave lfs and was surprised to see a batch of colossal orandas---and OMG! They had several blue oranda's that were HUGE!! The 40% off sale made it impossible to not to bring one of those sweet babies home.

So here he is @ 6" and looking rather studly. My new blue boy waiting for his 10 gallon QT. Hopefully I am properly classifying him as a blue oranda since his belly is white and a silver sheen under his black scales. Sorry the pics are a bit blurry. Blackberry isn't known to take great upclose photos. :(

IMG00149.jpg

IMG00147.jpg

And here he is released in his QT all set with salt & prazi.

IMG00188.jpg

IMG00215.jpg

Thanks! It was :heart at first sight. There were about 8 of them in 2 different tanks. Also orange, calico and red cap orandas. All between 6-7" in total length. Impressive batch of fish. :o

Oh he's gorgeous!! I love blue orandas, I am still sad about loosing my blue guy last Christmas, he was a wonderful sweet guy that would swim into my hands when I cleaned the tank, maybe yours will be just as sweet and loving!

Oh Yeah! He's DEFINITELY a Blue Oranda! He looks just like my guy, Buddy Blue! But, my guy is about half the size of yours! Whoa! What a beauty you found yourself!

Color changes are generally genetic and not much can be done, but high protein foods can help. Blues are pretty stable in their color as in, it won't change to orange, but it may fade and go pale. They also may get patches of copper, but that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Color changes are generally genetic and not much can be done, but high protein foods can help. Blues are pretty stable in their color as in, it won't change to orange, but it may fade and go pale. They also may get patches of copper, but that's about it.

That's interesting, I thought they'd be the same as black. There were 3 little blues at my lfs earlier this week that I was looking at...now I'm a little tempted :P