Ammonia Test Seemed Wrong...

I always do a full set of tests before my water changes.. I changed Angel's water 100% last Sunday.. I like to keep Sunday as my fish day if possible, but I may not be here Sunday or Monday. I had some time tonight (Friday) so I thought, why not do a water change now? I'd rather do one a few days early, than a few days late.. Same for Miranda & Samantha actually.. So I got my tests going. Angel's ammonia test said 0.50. This bothered me, because she has no meds, and her tank has been cycled for some time now without any problems. So the first thing I did was test Miranda & Samantha.. I fed all the fish Spirulina Flakes yesterday. It's tricky when feeding those, they gobble them up SO quick, so I probably tend to overfeed when they get that. They love em sooo much.. I thought maybe I just went a little crazy, and if that were the case, maybe Miranda & Samantha's cycle would be off as well.. But their ammonia test was zero...

The Seachem Ammonia Alerts on both tanks said zero free ammonia.. So far, these have always been consistent with the drop tests.. So I thought "why not retest".. I retested the ammonia in Angels tank, and guess what?? ZERO! Maybe I added too many drops,who knows. It felt wrong to me, so I did it again, and it worked out. Either way she is getting a water change, but it feels nice to know that nothing is wrong with her cycle.. She's doing really good now.. She's growing..This is the first time I've been able to watch fish actually GROW.. I can't wait to see how big she gets... She was such a little baby when I got her..

Good for you, Sue! I also have the Seachem Ammonia Alert on my gf tank and it has ALWAYS been consistent with my tests. Its a great tool and indicator of a problem between tests. Many of these alerts are useless, but I've had good luck with the Seachem.

That is so funny that we have the same schedule. :rofl Sundays are "tank" days where I test and do wcs on all of the tanks, but if I'm going to have a busy weekend its sometimes Friday nights. (Oh this exciting single life, lol! Friends call on Friday or Sat nite:What are you doing? Oh, cleaning the fish tanks... :D )

Good for you, Sue! I also have the Seachem Ammonia Alert on my gf tank and it has ALWAYS been consistent with my tests. Its a great tool and indicator of a problem between tests. Many of these alerts are useless, but I've had good luck with the Seachem.

I'm pretty sure the reason I bought one is because I saw you talking about it somewhere!!!! I love them! They have been so accurate so far...The other day I took one out of the tank while cleaning.. It was near a paper towel that had windex on it, and when I looked at it, the ammonia color was all dark blue!! Just from being near something containing ammonia!!! I am very pleased with them so far..We need to review them! : )

That is so funny that we have the same schedule. :rofl Sundays are "tank" days where I test and do wcs on all of the tanks, but if I'm going to have a busy weekend its sometimes Friday nights. (Oh this exciting single life, lol! Friends call on Friday or Sat nite:What are you doing? Oh, cleaning the fish tanks... :D

I think Lynda is Sundays too LMAO Picture us all in different parts of the country just cleaning away..

Haha!! I feel like I am NEVER doing anything good on a Fri or Sat night... Seriously... Shane & I can be busy all week, but when the weekend rolls around, we always are sitting at gome doing nothing in pajamas.. If someone asked me last night "what are you doing?" I would have said... "well I changed water in 7 fish tanks, and sat on koko's".. THRILLING LMAO

Sue, I'm so glad to hear your Ammonia levels were good! :) Also, it's great to hear about that Seachem alert. I struggle with Ammonia in my tanks (from tap on occasion) and I think I may need to invest in one of those...

Oh this exciting single life, lol! Friends call on Friday or Sat nite:What are you doing? Oh, cleaning the fish tanks... :D )

I've had this conversation SO many times. That statement is always met with a long, awkward silence because they never have anything to say. Then I come back and say, "Yep, I'm covered in algae and fish poo-- You?" Hahah! :ignore

I've had this conversation SO many times. That statement is always met with a long, awkward silence because they never have anything to say. Then I come back and say, "Yep, I'm covered in algae and fish poo-- You?" Hahah! :ignore

There's an online friend I have who has a little internet crush on me. He's always saying things like "you'd be the perfect woman" blah blah.. I always laugh and ll Shane who cracks up because he knows the REAL me.. The other day he started his "wow I wish you were single, I want a girlfriend" and I said "fine-I'll be your girlfriend if you buy me expensive fish and tanks. And then I will spend every second of my time cleaning them, and going on a goldfish message board so you won't see me all day anyway... Does that work for you?" LMAO...