Nitrites

Guest arafats3rdeye

Guest arafats3rdeye

Finished my fishless cycle about 3 weeks ago. It got to the point where i would raise the ammonia to 5.0 & within 12 hrs ammonia & nitrites would be zero. I did a huge water change to nitrates where they needed to be. I purchased a 2 inch Blk Ranchu & an 2 inch Bn Pleco. My ammonia has stayed near zero but my nitrites are spiking like crazy. I've had to do up to two 50 percent water changes a day to to keep nitrites below .50. I've been doing this for 3 weeks. My question is , how long do you guys think it'll be before Nitrites get under control? How high should i be letting nitrites get? I havent been letting them get above 1.0, I usually do a water change when i see it at about .5 or .75 & have been treating the water with salt and about a tablespoon per 10 gallons.

Guest arafats3rdeye

Thanks for responding koko.

I guess im starting to get close to that 6 week mark. I can see slimy membranes growing on the bio media & in the filter tubes. Im pretty sure I read somewhere thats where bb's are mostly. I also think remembering my girlfriends 10 gallon tank cycling a few weeks after we started to notice those same membranes growing in her new filter.