Probably A Silly Question

I don't have one yet...but that lovely 30 gallon is set up now. When I get my first new fish would I still us Prazi and salt or being that it will be the only fish look for signs of disease? I have Parasite Clear tablets which have Prazi in them or should I just plan on buying Prazi? Thanks!

I know what you mean.. Personally I think I would do the salt and prazi. Just to be safe, and make sure that anything the new fish introduces to the tank is killed off, and that way you can always feel safe knowing there wasn't something lurking.. As for the parasite tabs, I am not sure what else in in them. I have a box but right now the room is a MESS and it would be a pain to pull them out if I didn't need them. Again, if it were me, I would go ahead and order the prazi. It's not an emergency, and you will certainly get it in time before you need it. So for me I would rather use the prazi, that way you aren't giving the fish anything it doesn't need medication wise. As always, someone else may have another suggestion : ) I think I am gonna make that my quote LMAO

Good qoute...I think it is mine, too! I worry about doing too much salt with my plants, but I think they can tolerate up to 2% so it should be fine. I kind of would prefer to err on the side of caution as well. Just in case I fall in love with a fish before my cycle is complete (like you did with K & M) was it really hard for you to cycle the tank with them, the prazi and the salt in it? I know I can test water daily and keep up with changes, I'm just torn with whether or not I want to do this...it would have to be "true love."

I didn't have to cycle the tank from scratch luckily... The tank they were put into had some filter media from an already established .. However, once i put the salt and prazi in, the cycle slowed.. Immediately I saw ammonia.. This has actually happened to me everytime I've added salt and prazi. It does not happen to everyone though, but it has happened to me.. The good news is, once the salt was removed, it got better right away. And once the prazi was gone, it was back to being fully cycled THAT DAY. So it's not like you've killed off all the bb's.. seems like it just slows them down, but they bounce back.

The good news is this.... I got Kahlua & Malibu just over a month ago. (TODAY WAS DAY 30 of QT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went fast!). I started them off with a 100% water change. I added salt to 0.1%, and a dose of prazi. The next day I did a 50% water change, and made the salt up to 0.2% then did a second dose of prazi. Third day 50% water change, made the salt up to 0.3% and added third dose of prazi.. With prazi there are many different dosing methods, and Trinket explained to me that many of them are good options. I chose the 3 days on, 2 days off... Every day I dosed the prazi, I did a 50% water change first.. When those three days were up, I did a 100% water change, and gave them 2 days with no prazi, just 0.3% salt. Because of this, I was always doing water changes ANYWAY, so even though the cycle stalled a bit, the ammonia was at most climbing to 0.75 a day (maybe 1 a few times, but around 0.75, and that is with 0.25-0.50 ammonia already IN my tap!!).. I also had them in a 10 gallon tank, and that was TWO fish.. SO you would be adding fish to a much larger volume. SO basically, yes I think you could do it.. It's just a matter of keeping up with the work. On one hand, waiting til the tank cycles is best.. On the other, if you experience any bumps like mine, you will have to be doing daily water changes ANYWAY.I think it's just a matter of whether you want the fish bad enough, to commit to the extra water changes... I wanted Kalhlua & Malibu sooo bad, so I just did it.I made sure to change at least 50% of their water daily. I only missed one day, and that day I used prime b/c I just could NOT find the time.. Looking back it was a lot of work. Actually, all of my new fish have been done this way. SO i've been doing water changes every day for about 3 months... When I was doing Angel, Samantha & Miranda I did at least two a day, plus reg maintence for my bettas and the platy. It can totally be done... you just have to make sure you do the work.. Your tank should really be cycled any day now! LMAO COME ON! LOL

Also I forgot about your plants.. I can't help you there, so someone else can let you know how high your salt should go during the Qt as to not bother the plants.. All my plants are FAKE lol

Kathy do you salt & prazi the auction fish? I was told that the ones from the goldfish connection are checked out with a microscope and treated there if needed, so with those fish you can kee them QTed but without the salt/prazi. What do you do?

I've never gotten any from there but I do the one's I get from Tommy. They never show signs of anything but as I said, better safe than sorry. With shipping being so stressful I just don't want to take the chance of something that may have been laying low so to speak suddenly rearing it's ugly head. I only do the salt for 7 days as long as all seems well and do Prazi 3 days on & 2 days off for two treatments. I usually only quarantine for two weeks. I know others do much longer but I've not had any problems this way. Guess it comes down to personal preference when all is said and done.

Good qoute...I think it is mine, too! I worry about doing too much salt with my plants, but I think they can tolerate up to 2% so it should be fine. I kind of would prefer to err on the side of caution as well. Just in case I fall in love with a fish before my cycle is complete (like you did with K & M) was it really hard for you to cycle the tank with them, the prazi and the salt in it? I know I can test water daily and keep up with changes, I'm just torn with whether or not I want to do this...it would have to be "true love."

I cycled with fish, salt and prazi. First with one fish, she was transferred out while a new one was put in and then when the seconds' qt was done, I put them back in together for company. 90% water changes every day and replacing salt and prazi every day. I was actually doing this on two 10 gallons, but the other was epsom salt only. Plus my weekly 50% change on my main tank. I did this for about 6-7 weeks. But, now, they're cycled and that feeling of knowing you don't have to get up and do your water changes anymore feels sooooo good! That's your reward! It WAS exhausting, but I did it and without one spike, bump or crash. It can be done, you just have to be willing to accept the work. So, yeah, it does have to be "true love."

Okay, if true love happens I can do it. It would have to be now before my insane travel schedule starts in September. I was also wondering this about QT any new fish. My ten gallon won't be cycled so I will probably go through this with each new fish until I reach my limit of three. Thanks for the techniques...

Amy,

I don't know if this is a Good idea or a bad one, but what if you started a fishless cycled in the 10 and the 29. That way (and staying out of the fish stores. LOL) when you are ready, the QT will be cycled as well. If you use flake instead of ammonia in the 10, and you fall in love, you don't have to worry about the ammonia, and... it would already be partially cycled so you wouldn't have to start from scratch. Just remember, I said I didn't know if this was a good or a bad idea.