Answering Trinket's Question

dfernandez77

Trinket asks, "You all-right Daniel? No more ops?"

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...st&p=795756

20080813-185117_640.jpg

Well, two days ago I had an honest to goodness heart attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction). This was quite different than the angina and good scare I had last summer.

Last summer I had angina all summer long and went in for heart cath operations, twice. Late last summer I had a 99% blockage of half of my right coronary artery opened, and a stent placed to keep it open. Three doctors, and other cardiac care people that saw the videos of the blockage in my heart said they couldn't believe I hadn't had a "huge MI." It's hard to figure how a right coronary artery can be 99% blocked in the middle, and there is no heart attack. But the explanation is "residual flow from collaterals."

I also discovered that I have a quirk with my liver that causes hypertriglyceridemia. It's not caused by a bad diet, or no exercise, or something typical - my liver just converts anything it can to triglycerides and dumps them into my blood at 4 times the "safe" level. And it's been doing it all my life.

So I have multiple deposits in vessels in my heart, retina, and so forth. At 48 years old (even though I have a good diet and I exercise) I have cardiovascular disease equivalent to something like a 65 year old, smoker, couch potato, who eats at MacDonalds all the time. It seems a bit unfair. Unfair or not - the root cause is life-long idiopathic hypertriglyceridemia.

So the plan last summer was to use medication to lower my triglycerides and stabilize the existing blockages. We tried a couple different medications - and in February had one that seemed to be working. Last Monday was my follow up with my doctor to see how things were going. Frankly we expected to see better numbers than in February - I had been taking the medication for 6 months after all.

On Monday we found that my triglycerides were back up to 2.5 times normal - better than 4 times normal, but not good. On Tuesday I started 2 new medications in addition to the five I already take. On Wednesday morning I had a heart attack. Hahah! I don't know exactly why it cracks me up - but it does. :P I suppose because I don't have much control over the cause.

But there is some good news. The heart attack on Wednesday could have been much worse. By the time I was in surgery and the catheter was at my heart, 20% of my heart muscle wasn't beating any more. The doctor opened the blockage immediately to prevent further damage, he didn't want to lose any more than the 20% heart muscle he though was already lost. To his surprise, the 20% of my heart muscle that was no longer beating started beating again. Apparently, me being a fan of

well, to heart. Hehe!

So here's the long and short of it. A good diet (mine is pretty good) will not help. Exercise (I do exercise moderately) will not help. Even with medications - my liver is determined to keep my triglycerides dangerously high. So the doctors say we need to try additional medications, test my blood lipids more often, and maybe even consider aggressive medications. Here I have to balance the risk of side effects against the risk of another heart attack that could cause serious permanent damage, or even death.

Fortunately I'm in great health except for the hypertriglyceridemia and existing deposits in my coronary arteries. With the right medications, immediately leaping into an ambulance when my chest hurts, and regular viewing of Monty Python films, I should get by. Hopefully if I have future heart attacks, which is unfortunately probable, they will be minor. Hopefully there will be a "cure" for cardiovascular disease before I have a really bad heart attack.

I'm OK with the heart issue and the risks - I'm an odd fellow with an odd philosophy who is OK with most everything, not a worry wart. But I do feel badly, maybe even a bit guilty, for the worry it causes my friends, my family, and especially my mom and my lovely girlfriend. It's a bit unfair that they have to worry about me - that's what I don't quite know how to deal with. :unsure::(

Oh gosh! I am so glad that you are okay.

I am sure you are getting advice from all directions, but have you tried high dose fish oils? I did my master's research in the late nineties on the effects of fish oil on cardiovascular disease risk factors, including plasma triglycerides. We found that fish oil (4-6 grams of EPA/DHA per day) is as effective as many triglyceride-lowering drugs. But the nice thing is that it works by a different mechanism than drugs, so you can take it along with medications. It has the additional benefit of making your myocardium more resistant to ischemic injury and acting as a mild anticoagulant (all good things for a guy like you). Depending on the brand that you are taking, 4-6 grams per day comes out to anywhere from 7-20 monster capsules a day, so I am talking high dose. PM me and I will give you more specifics if you are interested.

Take care!!! Keep us posted.

Edited by Acupunk

WOW. You seriously have the best outlook on things. Look at that pic of you in the hospital just SMILING away!!!! A positive attitude can be so helpful, and you have one of those for sure!!

I guess in this situation it's like you said, things could have been worse. But how scary. Poor Tink must be going insane!!!!!! I have nothing to offer here, but support, cyber hugs and wishes for your health in the future. Get well!

I am sure you are getting advice from all directions, but have you tried high dose fish oils?

I've been taking 4,800mg of fish oil every day for a year now.

Tuesday I started on 4 grams of omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza) every day. It's the highest concentration, purest form available. It's a prescription medication.

That's one of the 2 meds added on Tuesday.

Hopefully that will target the triglycerides. I don't have the typical cardiovascular disease from the typical "high cholesterol" cause. I have a healthy, but special, liver with a mind of it's own about triglycerides. :blink:

Sorry to hear about your health issues--sounds really serious! Don't know if this will help at all but the herb milk thistle is excellent for liver support. Maybe it could detox your liver and help it work better?? :idont Just something to ask your doctor about, I guess.

http://www.liversupport.com/milkthistle.htm

I wish more people had an outlook on life like you! There are soo many people that whinge about things they need done (e.g. leg amputation, although it sounds big, its really not that big of a problem these days compared with 50yrs ago) like its the worst thing in the world! And having the leg off in the first place was their own fault! (99% of the time it was due to obesity, smoking, poor diet and no exercise!) If they just realised that having this procedure isn't the end of the world and that they can live normal lives on the other side the world would be a better place I reckon!

I hope you get better soon and back home :) The human body is a marvelous thing, weird at times and completely unpredictable but still marvelous!

Tuesday I started on 4 grams of omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza) every day. It's the highest concentration, purest form available. It's a prescription medication.

Great! I will be interested to hear about how (or if) it helps you.

I don't have the typical cardiovascular disease from the typical "high cholesterol" cause.

Yes, I know. Our lab was one of the first in the country to recognize that hypertriglyceridemia (especially the familial type) is in fact an important cardiovascular disease risk factor. When I was in graduate school there were still lots of cardiologists and researchers out there who thought it did not affect risk for atherosclerosis. :blink: I drew blood from a number of research subjects with hypertriglyceridemia who had blood that was actually pink instead of red because of extremely high plasma triglycerides. :yikes

WOW. You seriously have the best outlook on things. Look at that pic of you in the hospital just SMILING away!!!! A positive attitude can be so helpful, and you have one of those for sure!!

I guess in this situation it's like you said, things could have been worse. But how scary. Poor Tink must be going insane!!!!!! I have nothing to offer here, but support, cyber hugs and wishes for your health in the future. Get well!

hehe... of course he was smiling away. he couldn't very well send me a picture of himself frowning to "ease my worrying". :lol

*sigh* i thought about posting on here when i found out... but i figured, it wasn't something that i should be the first to post about. :(

so i chatted online with beany's mom and felt better afterwards. i hope she felt a bit better too, though i'm sure no matter how much i worried she worried a hundred times more. i can't imagine how she felt!

now i just wish labor day weekend would come so i can go visit my hunny and have him give me a hug. cuz i sure do need one now!

now i just wish labor day weekend would come so i can go visit my hunny and have him give me a hug. cuz i sure do need one now!

In some ways labor day seems WAY to close for me.. I feel like summer barely started and we are only a few weeks away from Labor Day? But in your case, I bet it won't come fast enough... I'm glad you are going to get to see him soon.. : ) Not soon enough, I know...

I hope you get better soon and back home :) The human body is a marvelous thing, weird at times and completely unpredictable but still marvelous!

Oh, I drove home yesterday afternoon. :P

I'm home, I'm Kokoing, I'm bored, and I'm pacing around the house. Haha!

Yeah, weird, unpredictable, and marvelous is a good description.

Great! I will be interested to hear about how (or if) it helps you.

I'll letcha know. :)

hehe... of course he was smiling away. he couldn't very well send me a picture of himself frowning to "ease my worrying". :lol

Of course I was smiling. I was talking to my terrific girlfriend. :heart:heart :heart

Wait a minute now... I'm the one that had a heart attack, and you're the one that needs a hug? Sheesh! Ain't that just like a woman. Hahaha!

Besides, with two weeks for me to recover - you'd better be ready for more than a hug! Rrrrrowr! :yeah:

hehe :P

Besides, with two weeks for me to recover - you'd better be ready for more than a hug! Rrrrrowr! :yeah:

Man that heart attack sure didn't slow him down at all LMAO LMAO Are you ready to go Tink?! :rofl

My neighbour across the road is in the same boat as you. He is older than you but rides his bike to work and eats well, he is a Christian Brother so he has a healthy lifestyle without overindulging in any nasties. He does have a stressful job though, he and another couple of CB's operate a small school for about a dozen boys that no other school will take due to behavioural issues like violence. It's the last stop before juvenille detention. Last year he went in for a check-up due to breathlessness and ended up staying for a bypass!!

He said the same as you in that lifestyle and diet really don't play as large a part as genetics. If your body is going to have these difficulties there is really no way to avoid them. :( At least you haven't lost your looks, lol, you look fit as a mallee bull in your pic.

I do think that attitude does make a difference. Doctors and nurses say it's the patients with positive attitudes and strong wills that pull through against the odds. Take care, the lottery of life sucks sometimes, but it could be worse, remember the Black Knight who wouldn't let King Arthur pass? He was the absolute optomist, LOL, was he the one who said "Ni"?

ps. is a liver transplant an option?

At least you haven't lost your looks, lol, you look fit as a mallee bull in your pic.

...remember the Black Knight who wouldn't let King Arthur pass? He was the absolute optomist, LOL, was he the one who said "Ni"?

ps. is a liver transplant an option?

Well, Thanks for the kind words young lady. :P

I remember, "It's only a flesh wound." Hehe. But actually - I'm a Taoist more than an optimist. :)

My liver is perfectly healthy, just a bit confused. A liver transplant, though creative thinking, is not the way to go.

I was just about to say the same Annette. First thing I thought was isn't there something can be done about your liver? It all seems very unfair when you are so meticulous about your diet and lifestyle, that your liver is not co-operating :( Is another heart operation being recommended to you?

You are amazing staying strong and positive (you'll say its your philosophy..) and we are all behind you with our thoughts and love here. Hsi Hou most but all of us care. Good things happen. Your heart hasn't lost the fight, in fact the opposite as you describe.

Do you have a de-fibrilator or whatever its called in the house nearby? Are there any precautions you can take at the time if you feel like you are having another attack at some point?

Hugs and love :hug

Do you have a de-fibrilator or whatever its called in the house nearby? Are there any precautions you can take at the time if you feel like you are having another attack at some point?

Hugs and love :hug

Wow! The defibrillator is a great idea. I'll see if my cardiologist will write a prescription so my insurance company can pay for it. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the sweet words. You're very kind.

Love y'all too! :)

Of course I was smiling. I was talking to my terrific girlfriend. :heart:heart :heart

Wait a minute now... I'm the one that had a heart attack, and you're the one that needs a hug? Sheesh! Ain't that just like a woman. Hahaha!

hehe :P

hahaha... you sir... need a hug too! :P but i'm sure i need one more than you do! :D

Man that heart attack sure didn't slow him down at all LMAO LMAO Are you ready to go Tink?! :rofl

haha am i allowed to answer this? we're not in the late night cafe... :hmm:lol2

lol, you look fit as a mallee bull in your pic.

and isn't he!!! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

So sorry to hear about all the heart problems you've been having, but you have a great attitude and really that's more than half the battle, it's amazing what a good outlook can have on one's health! Take it easy for awhile, I am so glad that you're doing so much better and that it was a lot better than it could have been.

wow Dan . I am so glad you are doing better and sad that this happened to you. I hope you are feeling better soon. Saying a prayer for you right now. feel better Dude. you always make me laugh and smile :D