Tank Explosion, True Or False?

Rather than listen to me whine about how my fish are about to die due to overcrowding, a friend of mine has offered to sell me her 29-gallon tank.

I recall hearing, *somewhere*, that this size tank (tall and rectangular) is basically the most likely to shatter, because of something involving the amount of water and the height of the tank....?

Anyway, I was hoping someone could say, "That's insane! We love 29-gallon tanks!" so I can go pick it up with none of those pesky worries. :)

i would just re-seal it i dont think it will explode unless it is way old and sealant is chipped off and you fill it.dis is wat happens to old not seal correctly tanks if filled :blowup:

Edited by Franky

If it is taller than long, it really won't explode but these type of tanks aren't recommended for goldfish as they don't have a lot of surface area. Plus goldies like to swim back & forth rather than up & down.

Exactly!so is yours taller or longer?if its longer get it!just reseal it

Edited by Franky

The size tank that I have more than any other is a 29 gallon tank measuring 18L 12 W 18 H. They are definately NOT taller than they are long - and give absolutely NO problem whatsoever. They are excellent for 2 larger fish or 1 large fish or multiple smaller fishes.

I have one odd tank - a "29" that is 36L 13W 16H., It, too, is a great tank. I use if for growing out multiple fry - longer and shallower - but still large enough to hold a few.

I have a 25 gallon tank that is quite high - it is 24L, 12W and 20 H. It is really ODD. I only use it for pokey fish, bubble eye, etc. A 15 gallon tank that is high - the footprint of a 10 with another 5 gallons stacked on top - is ALSO odd - and rather high. These are useful for pokey fry, small fish, and running fishless media for cycle.

I have NEVER EVER had one fail or "explode" or leak or give ANY problems with water seal, however. Some of them are over 15 years old - with continuous use.

:)