You Know You Talk About Goldfish Too Much When...

your best friend comes back from japan and is EXTREMELY excited to give you this:

IMG_2327.jpg

and you ESPECIALLY know you talk about goldfish too much when her explanation is "i was gonna look for a real fish for you, but i knew you didnt have enough space for another one since you only have a 10 gallon."

im so proud of her for remembering that =]

this little plastic redcap came from a plastic ball inside one of those toy dispenser things! and there are like ten other different kinds of fish you can get! i wana go to japan now...but unlike my best friend, i might come home with more fish than i have the room for! :D

Edited by justkeepswimming

yeah , my best friend is awesome!! and i found something interesting in the little paper that came with it. i can't read japanese, but it looks like it shows all the different goldfish and how theyre related. how cool is that?! dont mind the scissors, i was using them to hold the paper down flat. =]

full.jpg

1st.jpg

2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

I want one too!!!! And that poster is coooooolllllll.........

waitaminute.... the Japanese already developed a "bumblebee"-patterned Jikin from the standard Jikin???

i dont follow...can you read japanese? :D if not...anyone else?

I can't read it, actually... but you can follow the picture diagram here:

full.jpg

From original wild common--> red common-->red/white wakin--->(branches down one step)Jikin---> red/white "bumblebee" wakin

emptywallet, thanks a bunch! see if you can find out what the different arrows mean at the least... =]

man yu, now i see what youre talking about. i'm thinking that the arrows might be a crucial part of this chart thing...i'm wondering what the blue outlined arrows mean and if it has anything to do with the toy or something..

hopefully we can get a translation and find out though!

ok so i asked my dad and mom (my mom's taiwanese, and my dad's a mandarin teacher, but he's white) and since japanese and chinese are similar they can kind of translate it

they told me that the all blue arrows mean a sudden change/random mutation kind of thing

and the white arrows mean they are a result of being bred.

that makes more sense to me now ! phew.

ok, this is a rough translation. some goldfish, or types of goldfish are not listed on the poster but mentioned in breeds. she just translated straight up, so, some are still in the japanese name and though she has been into goldfish off and on since i was born, still calls them by japanese name. the couple of breeds mentioned might not be bred as of today. she broke it down so its just an easy translation the best she could. i helped decoding using a chart lol, she made sure it was correct.....

it is written mostly in hiragana and some in kanji

goldfish history tells that this is an example and info is in books

change in fish, body and color natural-----blue arrow

change in fish, body and color by breeding-----white arrow chiyoutengan

yanagi demekin

demekin-----> 3 color demekin----> shubunkin

cross between 3 color demekin

and wakin (kanji)

funa--------------------------> hibuna----> wakin----> ryukin----> oranda singasira---->azumanishiki----------> edo nishiki

a beach or ocean fish cross between oranda cross between azumanishiki

that became a goldfish and dasisigan (kanji) and ranchu (kanji)

somehow (rough explanation)

(kanji)

kometuto jikin----> edo jikin

cant read some of the writing cross between demekin

some is the same as above and jikin

some characters are distorted

(kanji)

suihougan tanchiyou parusukeru maruko----> ranchiyu----> kuroranchchiyu

hope that you can follow, tried to do it like the poster. had fun translating with her. she is fluent, and reads and writes. she passed on nothing to me lol. but i got out my guide and had fun anyways and she speaks japanese to my son. why i otta! hope you all enjoy, but like i said it is loose and rough

You know you talk about goldfish too much when...

The first text of the day sent to your partner is : How are ma fishies?

Followed by a second txt, apologising then asking how is your partner's day! :P

Edited by fortunefaded

that didnt come out the way i wanted it...sorry, cant edit guess its too late so i will redo it this way

ok, this is a rough translation. some goldfish, or types of goldfish are not listed on the poster but mentioned in breeds. she just translated straight up, so, some are still in the japanese name and though she has been into goldfish off and on since i was born, still calls them by japanese name. the couple of breeds mentioned might not be bred as of today. she broke it down so its just an easy translation the best she could. i helped decoding using a chart lol, she made sure it was correct.....

it is written mostly in hiragana and some in kanji

goldfish history //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////tells that this is an example and info is in books

change in fish, body and color natural-----blue arrow

change in fish, body and color by breeding-----white arrow ///////////////////////chiyoutengan

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////yanagi demekin

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////demekin-----> 3 color demekin----> shubunkin

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////cross between 3 color demekin

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////and wakin (kanji)

funa--------------------------> hibuna----> wakin----> ryukin----> oranda singasira---->azumanishiki----------> edo nishiki

a beach or ocean fish//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////cross between oranda////cross between azumanishiki

that became a goldfish/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////and dasisigan (kanji)//////and ranchu (kanji)

somehow (rough explanation)

(kanji)

kometuto /////////////////////////////////////////////////////jikin----> edo jikin

cant read some of the writing///////////////////////////////////////////cross between demekin

some is the same as above//////////////////////////////////////////////and jikin (kanji)

some characters are distorted

(kanji)

suihougan/////////////////// tanchiyou//////////////////////// parusukeru maruko----> ranchiyu----> kuroranchchiyu

hope that you can follow, tried to do it like the poster. had fun translating with her. she is fluent, and reads and writes. she passed on nothing to me lol. but i got out my guide and had fun anyways and she speaks japanese to my son. why i otta! hope you all enjoy, but like i said it is loose and rough

that is so cool, emptywallet! thanks for finding that out! and tell your mom thanks so much! or...arigatou gozaimasu! :D hahaha

You know you talk about goldfish too much when...

The first text of the day sent to your partner is : How are ma fishies?

Followed by a second txt, apologising then asking how is your partner's day! :P

i would be the same too...if i was away from my fishy :P hahahhah

Here's something similar to your genealogical chart, but in English, from Kingyo.

Here's the cover of the book.

KingyoCover.jpg

Here's the chart.

KingyoP372.jpg

I'll take the pics off the web if there's a copyright issue, but I think the publisher won't have a problem with a little exposure in this forum.

i have seen those on ebay all the time. jsut type in goldfish and it will bring up the phone book on anything there is with that in the auction. think i have seen just about all of um, well, no tosakin lol