vickielm

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?7.2/gh300/kh180

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? don't know never checked

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) api drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gallons-2 years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? whisper, not sure, larger than 10 gallon needs

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50-60% weekly/100% monthly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? down to 4-cardinal tetra,molly,chinese algae eater,betta

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? no

[*]What do you feed your fish? tetrafin tropical flakes and occasional algae wafers crushed

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt", no

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,etc. Pinkie, the betta is staying at the bottom a lot or inside his house, and just acting weird.

Pinkie, my oldest betta, has been in the tropical community tank for 2 years and never had any problems. He was in there with 2 platies, Pixie and Dixie. After Pixie passed away it just seemed strange to have only 2 fish in the tank and they seemed lonely and bored. So I got a few tropicals so the tank would look better and they would have some company. I got 2 mollies, 2 cardinal tetras, 1 platy to go with Dixie and one Chinese algae eater (who is doing ok right now but may be a mistake when he grows).

I qt'd the fish in the small 3 gallon tank. I didn't have any Prazi, but used Jungle Parasite which does contain some prazi. Everything seemed fine and after 3 weeks I put them all together in the tank. First, one of the mollies had fry and she died shortly after. No symptoms, no ich, no nothing. I just found her floating in the tank. About 2 weeks later the orange platy did the same thing. Then Dixie, who I'd had for 2 years was gulping at the surface and hiding and he also passed away. Today I came home from work and found one of the tetras floating on the top. :krazy: I am not understanding what is going on at all. And the most worrisome is Pinkie is acting kind of strange. He is posing in odd positions. The nearest I can explain it is in a "mermaid" position, with his head up and fins down. He is eating ok, but when he's not eating he stays in his little ceramic mushroom house all of the time.

He's a weird little dude who has given me a heart attack more than once because he likes to lay on the gravel, but this just seems different. I tested the water and everything seemed ok, but did a 80% wc just in case. The readings above are after the water change, but they were pretty much the same before I did it. I hated losing the tropicals, but losing Pinkie after 3 years would really really hurt. He is such a sweet betta, and has no "fighter" in him. When I try to get him to flare for a pic with a mirror, he sees the reflection and runs and hides, lol!

I have a heater in the tank of course, and the water temp stays at 78F.

Any ideas or advice would really be appreciated as I have fish dropping like flies and don't have a clue as to what is going on!!

Aww Vickie..I am so sorry to hear that...I am not sure why the trops seem to be dying...do you think a 10 gallon might be small for all the guys??...umm sure the water parameters you maintain are gr8..but space is something tht kind of drive the fish nuts too..especially semi aggressive fish like mollies and platys...and betta..(but urs is cute..he runs and hides from his reflection..thts sooooo cute..lol)..yeah I wud hate to see anything happen to Pinkie..also chinese algae eaters...are kind of territorial too...they like having the gravel to themselves..do you think he has been troubling Pinkie at all..cos bettas like gravel too...umm..just a thought..I know am not helpful..but just to say..I hope Pinkie gets better..

Edited by SunshineGurl

Sooooo sorry Vickie!! I wish I had advice, but the majority of the information I can pass along to people, is stuff I've learned FROM you! I do hope that everything gets sorted out and that Pinkie and the remaining fish get better. Best Of Luck! :hug

Thanks Sue. I'm just at a loss here.

JC, tropicals don't require as much space as goldies. Their waste output is MUCH less and the fish I'm talking about right now are very small. Pinkie looks like a shark compared to them. He is at least 5 times larger than them. Although he is a coward...Siamese Fighter my butt, lol...he is usually a very social fish. He perked right up when other fish came into the tank. The algae eater is very small and although I know they are territorial I can't see him picking on Pinkie right now. :idont I realize that they are nocturnal, but he is very little and stays out all day.

I know most problems come from the water but my water changes are really more often than is required for trops and the params seem just fine. There is nothing I can put my finger on here except that I know Pinkie and he's just not acting like himself. I kind of consider the tetra that passed today as the canary in the mineshaft if you understand what I mean. Something is wrong but I don't know what.

Yeah..I totally understand what you mean..oh and I didn't know they were all lil guys..hmm...tht makes sense..but yeah..there is nothing really you can point at..your water parameters look just perfect...ummm..lemme see and research what I can find out...I am soo sorry Vickie..

Thanks hon. Anything you can figure out is more than I can. Maybe its just my imagination about Pinkie, but its not my imagination that I'm losing fish regularly and don't know why. Sheesh, trops are easier to care for than goldies, but I have more trouble with them than I've ever had with Moby and Florence...knock on wood.

I have to get up with the chickens so its beddy-by time for me. Hopefully when I get up I won't find Pinkie floating. Oh man. I bet I'll check on him on and off all night now.

Edited by vickielm

It's so much harder to get replies with the trops huh Vickie?

Here's my only input. Not about what is wrong with Pinkie, or how to fix that. It sounds like you are most attached to Pinkie. Not that you want anything to happen to the other trops of course, but I know Pinkie has been with you longer, and you have more of a bond there. Maybe you could seperate Pinkie from the rest of them for a little while? Just until you can figure out what is going on? Maybe having Pinkie in a seperate space would help out! I know you have goldies that are perfectly healthy. Maybe you could even steal some media from THEIR tanks to help out whatever you decide to put Pinkie in, that way whatever is in the main trop tank isn't being spread.

Just a thought. It may not be feasible, but I just thought it couldn't hurt to suggest???

Thats a good idea Sue, and I've considered that. But I actually did some research myself and talked to some betta owners and I think Pinkie has SBD. Its pretty common in bettas and although not curable, it is fixable. They described the exact actions Pinkie is doing and told me different things I can do to help him get better, if not 100% cured.

Thanks for giving me some input Sue. I appreciate it.

Oh..thank god u got help...I had this answer ready last night..but the internet broke...and today I just didnt get a chance..I got on the forum just now..this is my answer I typed last night...not of gr8 help..but good info to know...

"You know..I thought so too..trops are easier...but not tetras...I read this cos I had researched on them..as I originally had plans to get them..anyhow..cardinal/neons and tetras in general are very fragile..they need acidic water..pH range between 6.2-6.8..I am pretty sure they cannot do well in hard water...hard water kinda drives them nuts..umm and when they get cranky like this...they can nip at the other fish..umm they are known for nipping betta's fins...if Pinkie's fins don't look like they are nipped at..maybe those guys are just stressing him..NO??...also, although bettas can be housed with tetras safely..tetras do tend to stress a betta cos they are swift swimmers..One more thing abt tetras..they do best in schools of 4or5+...1-2 tetras tend to get stressed themselves..

I have no clue why the molly and platy passed away..and seriously Dixie would be a mystery...so sorry abt him..I know trops need less space and not as goldies...but (like I said I had plans, and I did extensive research on trops)..10 gallon can be a home to really 1 betta and maybe 5-6 more small fish...so a school of 5 tetras..or 2 mollies and 2 platys..etc..for trops the 2 gallon per fish rule could be followed...

Frankly with the kind of care you take..and the water parameters you have..I fail to understand the reason..but this was just my thought.. :( ..Sorry Vickie..hey but how is Pinkie doing??..I really hope he is doing gr8...I am sorry Vickie..I am no help here...lemme see if I can find something more... :( "

I am really sorry was not of much help here...but so glad Pinkie will at least get the correct medication and help..Sorry Vickie... :) ...take care...

JC, you were an incredible amount of help and thank you very much. I was so busy researching bettas that I didn't even think about the tetras. Thank you for going to so much trouble. It really is appreciated. I did read here on the forum that there is a fatal tetra disease that kills them off for no apparent reason.

I'm a subscriber to Aquarium Fish magazine that is affiliated with the Fish Channel. They have a question place which I have never used so I tried that. Although I disagreed with some of what they said,such as bettas don't need filters, they described the SBD perfectly. Asked me if Pinkie sometimes looked like a "begging dog", which basically describes what I was trying to say about a "mermaid" position. They said that SBD can be very common in bettas due to overfeeding and just their general body shape. It was suggested that I fast all the trops for 24-48 hours and feed smaller amounts. I plead guilty to overfeeding sometimes. SBD is not fatal except for extreme cases according to the site, and although its never "cured" it can be kept in check.

Right now I am leaning toward Sue's advice on moving Pinkie to his own place, but I already have 3 tanks set up and can't afford another tank right now. Its not really an emergency situation where I'd have to put him in a Rubbermaid, so I'll leave him where he is for the moment. I am also worried about him as the Chinese algae eater grows, so a new home is in his future.

Thanks very much for your help and the trouble you went to. You're both awesome! :exactly:heart

JC, you were an incredible amount of help and thank you very much. I was so busy researching bettas that I didn't even think about the tetras. Thank you for going to so much trouble. It really is appreciated. I did read here on the forum that there is a fatal tetra disease that kills them off for no apparent reason.

I'm a subscriber to Aquarium Fish magazine that is affiliated with the Fish Channel. They have a question place which I have never used so I tried that. Although I disagreed with some of what they said,such as bettas don't need filters, they described the SBD perfectly. Asked me if Pinkie sometimes looked like a "begging dog", which basically describes what I was trying to say about a "mermaid" position. They said that SBD can be very common in bettas due to overfeeding and just their general body shape. It was suggested that I fast all the trops for 24-48 hours and feed smaller amounts. I plead guilty to overfeeding sometimes. SBD is not fatal except for extreme cases according to the site, and although its never "cured" it can be kept in check.

Right now I am leaning toward Sue's advice on moving Pinkie to his own place, but I already have 3 tanks set up and can't afford another tank right now. Its not really an emergency situation where I'd have to put him in a Rubbermaid, so I'll leave him where he is for the moment. I am also worried about him as the Chinese algae eater grows, so a new home is in his future.

Thanks very much for your help and the trouble you went to. You're both awesome! :exactly:heart

I am sooo glad...someone directed you to the exact problem..would be of soo much help to Pinkie...how is doing now??...has he recovered.has he perked up???

I am glad I cud be of some help..I was feeling awful abt Pinkie...and not been able o understand why he may be doing tht...I ll remember this for future...Let us know how he is... :)

you are awesome too... :) ...and no trouble going thru anything..it was silly of me tht it didnt strike earlier... :) ..how are all the other fish btw??? take care Vickie and Pinkie... :heart

It could be swim bladder and possibly his age. 3 is old for a betta. I had one that was 3 1/2 years old. Mine did the lack of energy and moping and had quit eating. I tried everything . I added salt, and heat. Then when I added melafix to his tank he responded well and started eating again and acting normal. you could give it a try. Also they will swim around acting frantic if your water is bad and in need of a change.

JC, Pinkie is doing about the same. I fasted them for 24 hours and he seems to be a little perkier. He at least comes out and acts excited about eating. After he eats he immediately returns to his little "house" though. I think its just too much aggrivation for him to try to swim any more than necessary. :( Thanks for being so concerned sweetie. He is such a great little guy and I've had him for quite a while. I just hope he does ok.

Bettaqueen, right now he is eating well. It just seems to wear him out fighting his way up to the top, so when I soak the food I make sure to get it down his way first. He just doesn't seem to be interested in socializing with the other fish. He is in a community tank and I don't have another tank to put him in, so I hesitate to treat with Melafix since the other fish are fine. My water quality stays pristine as I do weekly changes in the community tank at the same time I do wcs for the goldies. My water changes on Pinkie's tank are really more often than I have to...I just like to do them all at the same time so I can remember when they are done. He only seems a little frantic when he has to swim up for food, then he returns to his mushroom with the little airstone.

Is 3 really old for a betta? No kidding? I was hoping they lived as long as goldfish. Why such a short lifespan if they are well cared for?

Awwww..I am soo sorry..he is still the same??..

yeah 3-4 years is really a very good age for a betta..rarely would a betta live for 5 years..I am sure you have given him a very good life..but thts true 3 is a good age for a betta..besides when you got him home he must have been 4-5 months old, so technically he is nearing 4..this really shows you have taken really good care of Pinkie.. :hug I found information on this link very informative...http://bettas.fishjunkies.com/Disorders/sbd.php..you might have come across it, cos you researched a lot in the past few days..according to the article, it is really ok for Pinkie to not completely recover..he can still live a perfectly normal life..but since he does not swim so much you might wanna feed less than usual...actually since you fast him for 24 hrs only try 3 days...all your fish will be fine for 3 days..maybe he recovers completely...worth a try... :)

it could really be age...Bettas live for 3-5 years...I am sooo sorry Vickie.. :( ...I wish I cud do something for Pinkie...but you have done really good..and not to worry Pinkie is still normal...and I hope he lives for a long long time to come.. :) .. :k055: ...Pinkie is special to me too... :heart this name is wat my close family members address me by... :) ..my mom named me Pinky.. :) ...Pinkie will really be fine...I ll have him in my prayers always.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

Thanks JC for the info. Its similar to what I found out, although I didn't fast for 3 days. Its very hard as when they see me come in they are ALL excited in the front of the tank!! It seems like I'm letting them down when I walk away...they just kind of go off like they're depressed lol!

Cute nickname for a little girl also! :)

Thanks JC for the info. Its similar to what I found out, although I didn't fast for 3 days. Its very hard as when they see me come in they are ALL excited in the front of the tank!! It seems like I'm letting them down when I walk away...they just kind of go off like they're depressed lol!

Cute nickname for a little girl also! :)

oh..I totally understand what you are saying..its hard for me to fast my betta too...I do that once a week..so yeah it is difficult.. :D ..anyways hope Pinkie gets better...take care..

oh and thnks for the compliment.. :) .. :P