Cute Little Bubbleeye!

daryl

I help out 3-4 days a week at the Altzheimer's ward where my MIL is staying. IT is a great relief that they can care for her 24/7 - but I do go over as much as I can. I decided that they needed something to stare at other than the walls and the TV and such. I have set up a fish tank.

I wanted to get a bunch of little fish to put in the tank - but I wanted to get something that caught the eye. The little bubble eye fish that Dandy Oranda had on the last DVD were perfect. I ordered up a set of those little guys and they arrived today. They are as cute as little..... BUBBLES!

The tank is a bit bare, yet, but the fish are in there. The general commets I have gotten were "Fish". And "Fish?" and "Those are not GOLD fish". They like them. They are writting thank you notes to Ken.... kind of like a grade school class. You should see some of the pictures they are drawing. I will collect them in the next few days and mail them to Ken. I think I may post some here. They are rather endearing.

Here is the tank, so far.....

post-27-1218751686_thumb.jpg

Daryl this was a really great thing you did! : ) That's so kind of you. (And also that you volunteer in the first place).

The fish are sooo cute (and I'm not a huge fan of the bubble-eyes yet, but I like the calico bubbleeyes, they seem really adorable)

That's such a great idea. And bubbles too. Something to talk about and generate conversation as they are so unique looking. Those are really cute calicos.

I definately have ulterior motives - I am not as sweet as wonderful as you think!!! :devilangel;) After all, this gives me a tank to keep fish that does NOT take up space in my house. More fish, more tanks - always a good thing!!!! When the little bubbles grow too big for that tank, I will take them out to breed and replace them with something else little - some of my fry or something else that are bright and eye-catching. IT will be a good place for a grow-out tank. :)

(And, to tell the truth, I have a secret love of Bubbleeye Goldfish - particularly black and white or calico!)

The tank is very blue because I have one of those blue pre-glued, peelable backgrounds on the back of it. I love those things. They have no air between the background and the glass and you get intense color.I just cleaned and sterilized the tank before I moved the little guys into it - it had been an iso tank with "unknown" pathogens. As it gets a bit more "lived in" it may not be quite as intense blue. I intend on adding a few soft plants and a few river stones for deco. I also want to see if I can get a brown or black sponge cover for the filter intake so the white of the cover does not stick out so much. That, with a plant in front of it should look much better.

I keep no food at the facility. I bring food each day to feed. I keep a latch (semi-childproof) on the tank lid - (An Eclipse hood) so that no one will "feed" the fish anything.

I am also going to take these little guys to show in a week. I expect that "juvenile class eye-fish" will not be a heavily contested class - and should reap a ribbon of some color for the tank. That might be exciting for them to have - a tank of prize winning fish! :#1

I keep no food at the facility. I bring food each day to feed. I keep a latch (semi-childproof) on the tank lid - (An Eclipse hood) so that no one will "feed" the fish anything.

I am also going to take these little guys to show in a week. I expect that "juvenile class eye-fish" will not be a heavily contested class - and should reap a ribbon of some color for the tank. That might be exciting for them to have - a tank of prize winning fish! :#1

I still would put a sign on or near the tank that says, "Please do not feed the Fish," because people are going to try to feed them bread and crackers and whatever food they can drag in the place. You don't know how many times I've heard of people feeding their fish bread. The latch should most likely keep them out, but this is my intense distrust of people coming through.

But, I love bubble eyes! I totally would have some, but I worry too much about their little bubbles popping and I just can't deal with the idea of that. They are sooo cute!

Daryl, I think this is just wonderful! :) I never liked Bubble Eyes, but as time goes on, I am slowly growing more and more fond of them! These calicos are just darling!

I still would put a sign on or near the tank that says, "Please do not feed the Fish," because people are going to try to feed them bread and crackers and whatever food they can drag in the place. You don't know how many times I've heard of people feeding their fish bread. The latch should most likely keep them out, but this is my intense distrust of people coming through.

A few years back I worked in a Nursing Home. A college in the area donated a fish tank and filled it to the brim with tropicals. As time went on, fish were poorly taken care of and the tank remained empty for several months. So, being quite the opportunist, I saw this as the perfect goldfish tank. I went to my LFS and purchased several orandas for the tank. It was beautiful and the residents, many of whom had alzheimers, loved it! :) I actually had more difficulty with the staff treating the fish well. Okay, getting to my point... Hahah! I cannot count how many times I had to "fish" out food thrown into the tank. One day a cracker, the next a half eaten sandwhich. It didn't dawn on me to put a lock on the lid. Needless to say I checked in on the tank periodically throughout the day. :)