Omg..this Time Its Chikoo

jyoti411

I read through the thread. Its very important that you have finished the salt treating for ich. You say its been 6 days since the last spot fell off? In that case it is fine and necessary to reduce the salt now. Your fish may have had a bad reaction to salt or may have just been very weakened by the parasites. Ich attach prongs and can inject bacteria into the fish which then develop as a secondary infection. However, the chewing mouth is not a symptom of this. It is a very typical symptom of flukes actually or of salt overdose.

Can you describe any more symptoms like red streaks etc so we can determine if there is a secondary infection or if this is just the effect of salt?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lynda..Thanks Imogen for dropping in...No blood streaks in the fins...but she now developed a small blood spot just below her left pectoral fin..exactly where the fin joins the body..and I think her mouth and gills are really a dark shade or red...I may be wrong with this color..but definitely a small blood spot..really a size of the tip of a pin...also I think..the white portion of her throat is a bit pinkish now...

and she is really freaked out now..cos I have forcefully taken her in my hands like 5-6 times today... :cry

Edited by SunshineGurl

However, the chewing mouth is not a symptom of this. It is a very typical symptom of flukes actually or of salt overdose.

Every day. Every single day I learn something new. Who'da hecka known! Love you Trinket! With Trinket on board, we'll get this problem fixed yet JC!

Avoid handling her from now. It is very stressful. As stress levels increase immunity plunges and disease gets hold. Its very important to try and keep her stress free right now. Low lights. Good water. Plenty of aeration (which meds and disease deplete) should do that.

Do you have any medicated food there? Just in case. How is she behaving now? Clamped fins? Have you seen her "go" and if so what was it like? Stringy? Normal? The dark gills could mean they are impaired so extra oxygen is needed. Gills can be seen from behind the fish best as they breathe and should look bright red and meaty.

Edit: Lynda~ fish "chew" to clear their gills. The action of chewing creates a more powerful flow of eloctrolytes/dissolved oxygen/water nutrients through the gills where nutrients are transported best and also toxins are eliminated best. The fishes gills are their life- water- pump. Anything that interferes with their ability to function (parasites. heavy salt or med overdose, additives, oil, toxins like nitrites) will have the fish chewing to try to increase function efficiency.

Thanks Lynda..Thanks Imogen for dropping in...No blood streaks in the fins...but she now developed a small blood spot just below her left pectoral fin..exactly where the fin joins the body..and I think her mouth and gills are really a dark shade or red...I may be wrong with this color..but definitely a small blood spot..really a size of the tip of a pin...also I think..the white portion of her throat is a bit pinkish now...

and she is really freaked out now..cos I have forcefully taken her in my hands like 5-6 times today... :cry

Could any of this have occurred because of the attempts to find/get rid of whatever we thought might be stuck in the throat?

Avoid handling her from now. It is very stressful. As stress levels increase immunity plunges and disease gets hold. Its very important to try and keep her stress free right now. Low lights. Good water. Plenty of aeration (which meds and disease deplete) should do that.

Do you have any medicated food there? Just in case. How is she behaving now? Clamped fins? Have you seen her "go" and if so what was it like? Stringy? Normal? The dark gills could mean they are impaired so extra oxygen is needed. Gills can be seen from behind the fish best as they breathe and should look bright red and meaty.

Edit: Lynda~ fish "chew" to clear their gills. The action of chewing creates a more powerful flow of eloctrolytes/oxygen/water nutrients through the gills where nutrients are transported best and also toxins are eliminated best. The fishes gills are their life- water- pump. Anything that interferes with their ability to function (parasites. heavy salt or med overdose, additives, oil, toxins like nitrites) will have the fish chewing to try to increase function efficiency.

her poop is green and a bit transparent..the green is from the pea..when she has a pea thts how her poo looks like...but the pea she at was yesterday morning..after that nothing really has gone into her stomach..all she does is tries to eat and chew the food.... (I had this in one of my post..but it looks normal)...HEr fins are not clamped..but she is resting..sleeping...her fins are really ok...Yeah I have metro meds..I have been feeding Sunshine..yeah I don't wanna handle her anymore..poor thing...Her gills from behind do look bright red and meaty as you mentioned..phewww..

for extra oxygen..what can I do??..the tank has Penguin 200 biowheel and an airstone...shud I feed her medicated food???..I am letting her rest for the night..I ll try tomo morning with the med food...any more thoughts..

I just signed BACK on for two seconds to say:

Trinket- should Sunshine start Chikoo on the MetroMeds? (i see that you just asked her if she had any medicated food). Both of her fish, Sunshine & Chikoo had Ich, the Sunshine got REALLY sick. The metromeds have been helping. I actually logged off for the night, and I had this feeling I should just bring up the metromeds.. So maybe now is a good time for her to start those? (Sunshine, you can take Trinkets advice from here on out cause we all know she's the best!) Good night everyone!! CHIKOO GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If shes not eating then she'll just spit out the med food of course and thats not good. Best to try and get all the conditions as comfy as poss for her and this alone should increase her appetite. If it doesn't there are water born meds to try, but I feel that her symptoms don't really warrant that yet. I do know fish can get lethargic after prolonged exposure to salt. She may just be one of those sensitive fish. Give her the night and I'll check back on you in the morning, as I am sure will all the other friends you've made. Stay hopeful. Fish are resilient and as long as their water is good can fight off a million nasties very well! Sleep well and don't worry although I know that's not easy when our pets are not well. TTYL.

If shes not eating then she'll just spit out the med food of course and thats not good. Best to try and get all the conditions as comfy as poss for her and this alone should increase her appetite. If it doesn't there are water born meds to try, but I feel that her symptoms don't really warrant that yet. I do know fish can get lethargic after prolonged exposure to salt. She may just be one of those sensitive fish. Give her the night and I'll check back on you in the morning, as I am sure will all the other friends you've made. Stay hopeful. Fish are resilient and as long as their water is good can fight off a million nasties very well! Sleep well and don't worry although I know that's not easy when our pets are not well. TTYL.

Thanks so much Imo...alrite..its nice and dark for her..she is sleeping and resting..hope it gets better..thanks so much..TTYL too...

Thanks Lynda..Thanks Sue for checking on Chikoo...

Hi JC,

I'll be checking on you tommorrow. Hopefully, a bit of rest will do her good and the removal of some of the salt. I'm not much help but to offer moral support. I have learned some things for sure following your posts and one thing I know for sure is that you are a great fish mom...you are doing everything wonderfully for your fish.

Amy

Hi JC,

I'll be checking on you tommorrow. Hopefully, a bit of rest will do her good and the removal of some of the salt. I'm not much help but to offer moral support. I have learned some things for sure following your posts and one thing I know for sure is that you are a great fish mom...you are doing everything wonderfully for your fish.

Amy

Thanks so much Amy...it is very encouraging when you say tht...and I appreciate all the support I am getting here..I would never have done so well without everyone's help here...I hope some rest will do something good to her.. :) ..

Edit: Lynda~ fish "chew" to clear their gills. The action of chewing creates a more powerful flow of eloctrolytes/oxygen/water nutrients through the gills where nutrients are transported best and also toxins are eliminated best. The fishes gills are their life- water- pump. Anything that interferes with their ability to function (parasites. heavy salt or med overdose, additives, oil, toxins like nitrites) will have the fish chewing to try to increase function efficiency.

Excellent to know! I'm gonna make these things stick in my brain and make me a smarter fishkeeper!

Good luck to you JC and get some rest. We'll see you tomorrow!

I just wanted to check on you while I had a moment...I'm hoping no news is good news.

That's exactly what I am hoping!!! : )

Nope...Actually I am waiting to get home and check on Chikoo..this morning I tried feeding her soaked soft pellets..which she was very happy to get...chewed them and out they came after a few seconds..I dont know wats wrong...I wanna see if slowly thru day, she has been able to eat them or no...I ll give u guys an update at nite..I didnt get a good feeling this morning...cos she is happy to get food, does not beg for it though..but she cant gulp it in..I dont know why...

I am so stressed out..have lost weight and am losing hair too...this is bizarre..I really didnt wanna complain and I want both my babies to be healthy and fine..back on track..but nothing seems to make it right..I just hope after the water change tonite(which would mean almost all salt gone)...Chikoo feels better...so yeah fingers crossed...

Awwwwwww no. I am gonna PM you cause at this point I can't offer any advice, just support. SO I don't want it to take up the whole page and distract from the problem being posted, ya know??? Get better please Chikoo..... PLease...

Hey JC! I wanna give you my support too! We're just really short of Mods it seems right now and this has gotten into a stage of detective work that is kinda beyond me. Not that this might change anything, who knows, but both Koko and Trinket were suggesting that this may be a salt intolerance and so you should probably definitely get all of the salt out of the tank to at least get that ruled out.

Fins crossed babe!

Hey JC! I wanna give you my support too! We're just really short of Mods it seems right now and this has gotten into a stage of detective work that is kinda beyond me. Not that this might change anything, who knows, but both Koko and Trinket were suggesting that this may be a salt intolerance and so you should probably definitely get all of the salt out of the tank to at least get that ruled out.

Fins crossed babe!

Thanks Lynda..yeah I am gonna give her a 75% water change tonite..I am hoping salt is the cause..which wud then make it easy on her...thanks once again..

Thanks Amy and Sue... :)

Waiting on news when you get home. If shes not well, she will have no appetite and not be able to eat. You checked her mouth and it looked normal before so theres nothing wrong with her mouth and its a matter of waiting till she gets her strength back and can eat.

Forgive me for not checking through and asking instead but, did you treat the tank and all your fish with prazi ever?

Forgive me for not checking through and asking instead but, did you treat the tank and all your fish with prazi ever?

I JUST asked her that in a PM actually.. I can't remember either and there are soo many posts to read through..

Chikoo does not look so good..Like I had mentioned her throat is pink...today I can really see its a bit darker shade..umm, I ll try explaining exactly what I am seeing..For any kind of goldfish if observed..just below the mouth where the throat is there are two distinct lines in shape of a upside down V...one of the lines is a bit dark shade of pink..obviously that is blood...one of the lines is like that...

She has a few more tiny blood spots in the throat area and close to the left pectoral, in addition to the one that had developed yesterday..She is constantly opening and closing her mouth...real big opening of mouth there...her gills from the inside look very worked up..meaning kind of stressed...very very red...I tried taking pictures but nothing is visible and she is freaking out...so don't wanna trouble her anymore...

She stays at the surface...kind of gasping...what do I do???

guys I have no idea wats going on with her..Please helppppp....

Edited by SunshineGurl

I hope someone like Trinket is able to check back on here soon. In the meantime I wanted to offer moral support and virtual hand-holding. It must have been so exciting to see Sunshine get well and this must be really hard after that. No rest for the weary fish mom.

I hope someone like Trinket is able to check back on here soon. In the meantime I wanted to offer moral support and virtual hand-holding. It must have been so exciting to see Sunshine get well and this must be really hard after that. No rest for the weary fish mom.

Thanks so much Amy...I am truly happy for Sunshine...but Chikoo...I am not even able to understand whats wrong...I hope with everyone's help here I can do something to make it better...Awwww..true no rest..but just want to make them healthy.. :) ...

Waiting on news when you get home. If shes not well, she will have no appetite and not be able to eat. You checked her mouth and it looked normal before so theres nothing wrong with her mouth and its a matter of waiting till she gets her strength back and can eat.

Oh Imo..I dont know how I missed out on this post...It didn't even strike me when I saw Sue's post..I am sooo sorry...

No I have never treated any of my fish with Prazi ever...didn't know abt it until I started reading the quarantining process here...Shud I do that??? what cud be causing the throat to appear red and the small blood spots??