Omg..this Time Its Chikoo

jyoti411

Alrite guys and gals...so all the plastic thing is being resolved with Sunshine..as ya all know she is is getting better from dropsy..in her own tub with epsom and stuff...

Focusing back to Chikoo..he/she (i think SHE)..was a happy baby..until I got Sunshine out of the tank...She kinda freaked out..but then got back to normal..was eating well until last night..No begging for food watsoever..Bottom sitting..I thought there is a bump in the cycle maybe Nitrates were high..neways had to do a water change..so changed 50% water after seeing that ammonia was 0...Then tried feeding Hikari soaked pellets...she tried to eat them but wud spit it out..I thought she is cranky...n bloodworms..she tried eating that, then spit it out...Tried Ktill..same thing..I got scared..another plastic???? :krazy: ...I have literally inspected every grain of salt, 10 teaspoons each night before that salt goes in..after dissolving, I make sure against light there is no floating particle in there..what th *&%^??? ok..so I inspected her mouth..tried making her throw up..No luck..nothing in there that is visible...

This morning..lethargic..sleeping and not interested..tried feeding..she got it in her mouth and then spit it out...same as Sunshine..like an absolute same path..I know there is something in her mouth..I don't know how to get it out...she has been even opening and closing her mouth rapidly like Sunshine did..(Lynda totally knows wat I mean by this)...but now what..How can I make sure that even if there is something in there..it comes out...??

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: a little higher than 0...but in the range of 0-20 (test strip)..will get a drop test tonite

Temperature - 78-79

Oh and of course the aquarium salt still in there...2 more days of salt out of 7 after the last ich grain fell off...still 0.3%

I am soo soo tired of everything now... :cry1 ...I have temperature today..and I am just losing it this time...what more??...neways I need to get Chikoo back on track..Please helpppppp..

Edited by SunshineGurl

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I tried peas like it had happened with Sunshine..but no luck..Chikoo wants to eat it..but I bet she isn't able to at all....I inspected nothing visible..and no throwing up of anything...still rapidly closing and opening mouth..what shud I do...oh my god...I am on the road to kill my Chikoo...I feel so helpless..I fail to understand what is happening..I dont see anything..I am such a bad bad mommy...argghhhhh...please helpppp.. :cry1 ..I did not cry in the past few days and was so positive..today I give up...

What does her gills look like?

Are they pink in color hun anything hanging off of them?

Nothing hanging off Koko..but I do see her gills are pretty red on the inside..a very dark shaded..I can see when she opens and closes her mouth..the gills kinda open and close too..they are a dark shade of red...

Were these guys in a tank that wasnt cycled all the way? was your ammonia high at one time? Does she have red streaks in her fins?

No..I had cycled the tank before I even put Sunshine in there..and I did 25% water change every 4 days...the ammonia was never high...no she has no red streaks...no sign visible on her body watsoever...I checked everything..tummy..anal fins...eyes just everything...she looks absolutely fine tht way...

Chikoo came way after I got Sunshine in the 20 gallon...but I kept Chiko in a QT tank only for 2 days..I beat myself up for tht when they got ich after 2 weeks...other than that nothing unusual...

also for the past 2 weeks I have been doing 50% water changes everyday on Chikoo's tank to cure Ich...so no the ammonia has never been high...

Edited by SunshineGurl

• Admin

Whats your PH hun? Have you kept a log on that....Just trying to figure out if it was the water or you got a bacterial infection going on in the tank :o

Whats your PH hun? Have you kept a log on that....Just trying to figure out if it was the water or you got a bacterial infection going on in the tank :o

oops..bacterial??? :o ...I dont have a log as such..but everytime I have tested the results have always been between 7.5 and 8...sometimes a 7..but never less than that...or never more than 8...

I just tested..again between 7.5 and 8...

Edited by SunshineGurl

So, you've been salting Chikoo's tank too? How long have you been doing that?

So, you've been salting Chikoo's tank too? How long have you been doing that?

I had started treating Chikoo and Sunshine for Ich on August 2nd...everything was gone by august 8...I counted August 9 as the first day of the 7 days (after the last ich spot fell)...Tomorrow would be the last day of 0.3% salt in there..From Saturday I had planned to do fresh water changes only and get all teh salt out over a period of 4-5 days...

The Ich is totally gone...today is the 6th day of the 7th after the last spot fell..Salts in there...Yes there is an airstone in there..2 filter pads for extra bb...bare bottom...

have been thoroughly siphoning out 50% water everyday with equal amounts of salts replaced...

Edited by SunshineGurl

I just asked about how long salt had been in the tank because I wanted to see how much likelihood there might be of a bacterial infection starting, surviving or getting worse when there had been salt in the tank. But, this is getting into a trouble-shooting area here that Koko is far better at, so I'm just going to observe and let her walk you through this.

• Admin

Okay hun....I would suggest to....Do a 50% water change do NOT add salt back to the tank. I think your fish isnt tollerating the salt.....So do the water change and if you have some Amquel or Prime to the water.....Lets see if this purks her back up...I will be checking on you :D

Okay hun....I would suggest to....Do a 50% water change do NOT add salt back to the tank. I think your fish isnt tollerating the salt.....So do the water change and if you have some Amquel or Prime to the water.....Lets see if this purks her back up...I will be checking on you :D

Sorry..took some time...actually I was in the process of a water change on Sunshine's QT...whewwww...20 gallons change in the past hour...

Alrite...I did a 50% change on Chikoo's tank..No salt in there..readings are

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH - 7.5 - 8

She was really giving me a feeling that there is something stuck in her throat if not mouth..She kinda tries to create a suction against the glass with her mouth wide open...I checked again, nothing visible...It struck me that sometimes rubbing Sunshine's throat helps her throw up..Sunshine literally hogs on everything..I have had a couple of times when she choked herself on water melon..ya right.. :blink: ...I always observe them close while feeding..So I have helped her a few times...Chikoo on the other hand takes her time to eat food...Anyways..so I took Chikoo in my hand and very gently rubbed her throat..and then gently left her in the downwards direction (heads down)...and pop came a small piece of pea..that was the last thing she had for breakfast before behaving abnormally..Cud that be it????..her opening and closing of mouth is still on..but I think at much slower rate and not wide opening of mouth...Umm..but I ll keep an eye on her..and keep updating...

Thanks so much Koko and Lynda..Please let me know if there is anything I should keep a check on...and any meds I shud get, just in case..I will be going to the pet store in the evening..so anything I shud be prepared with...Oh I don't have Amquel or Prime..so I ll get them..and my lfs got Marcyn 2 for me..so I ll grab tht as well..anything else???

Hi J!! So sorry to hear about Chikoo!! At this point I am kinda like Lynda. The problem isn't something I feel like I am able to help you with, but you've got Koko here helping so you know you are in good hands. I'll be waiting, watching, and hoping and praying, and of course you know I am ALWAYS here if you just wanna talk, if you are freaking out, or any of that!!!

You are not a bad fish mom and I don't want to hear you say that!! You are doing wonderul. Mistakes happen to all of us. I know you didn't QT Chikoo. And I didn't QT my fish, and lost them all.. We will drive ourselves crazy if we keep beating ourselves up over that. We didn't know, and if we had, we would have done things differently.. You have been going above and beyond to help Sunshine & Chikoo and you are doing wonderful.. You have to stop being so hard on yourself (I know, I do it too, so it's easier said than done). Hang in there sweetie : )

Anyway, so I took Chikoo in my hand and very gently rubbed her throat..and then gently left her in the downwards direction (heads down)...and pop came a small piece of pea..that was the last thing she had for breakfast before behaving abnormally..Cud that be it????..her opening and closing of mouth is still on..but I think at much slower rate and not wide opening of mouth...Umm..but I ll keep an eye on her..and keep updating...

Thanks so much Koko and Lynda..Please let me know if there is anything I should keep a check on...and any meds I shud get, just in case..I will be going to the pet store in the evening..so anything I shud be prepared with...Oh I don't have Amquel or Prime..so I ll get them..and my lfs got Marcyn 2 for me..so I ll grab tht as well..anything else???

Again, you solved your own problem! You are getting very good at figuring things out! You sure have little piggies who have eyes bigger than their... uh.... mouths! You definitely have refined a technique for removing stuck stuff from mouths! You're going to be our resident expert on that! lol! THANK GOD this appears to be all it was! You didn't need any more problems! I'm afraid to take a deep breath though. Every time we do, something else happens. So, I am crossing every hand, foot, finger and fin I have to cross!

And it sounds like you have a good shopping list for your First Aid Kit.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Again, you solved your own problem! You are getting very good at figuring things out! You sure have little piggies who have eyes bigger than their... uh.... mouths!

I sure have piggies...uh...I dont mind them eating but gosh they always get things stuck... :D

You definitely have refined a technique for removing stuck stuff from mouths! You're going to be our resident expert on that! lol!

:pp ...

THANK GOD this appears to be all it was! You didn't need any more problems! I'm afraid to take a deep breath though. Every time we do, something else happens.

Oh so true..I really dont want any more problems...me too...I am always like ahhh now its over and this guys are ready with something new... :lol2 ..like they have planned out problems and keep telling..Not Yet Mommy...here solve this now... :blink:

So, I am crossing every hand, foot, finger and fin I have to cross!

:tomuch: ...me too..me too.. :)

And it sounds like you have a good shopping list for your First Aid Kit.

cool..oh yeah..with these lil trouble makers...good trouble shooters (like all you guys) and meds are good to have on hand... :P

Nope..its not helping..I let Chikoo rest for a few hours..which she did..I tried feeding her soaked soft krill..she goes at it..eats..chews it for a long time...but then finally spits it out..she seems to be doing this with all the food...what can I do..she is unable to eat but I know she wants to...how can I fix this???

Chikoo still is unable to eat anything..she eats, chews for a long time and spits the whole thing as is...she is unable to break the food...what do I do??? its freaking me out...how can I fix this..I am not sure if something else is still stuck in there...or its something else...her poop is green and a bit transparent..the green is from the pea..when she has a pea thts how her poo looks like...but the pea she at was yesterday morning..after that nothing really has gone into her stomach..all she does is tries to eat and chew the food....

Well, you changed out the salt water, so it shouldn't be an intolerance to salt as Koko thought might be happening. I do think the behavior sounds like something stuck. Probably the pea that popped out this morning was was just stuck on top of whatever else is stuck in there. Maybe it's just stuck further down that what you can see..... have you tried your technique again of upside down throat rubbing?

Edited by Lynda Von G

Lemme see if I can find Trinket to check in....

Trinket is online and I PM'd her, but keep in mind, she's busy I'm sure, so it may be a while, but she should get with you soon as she can.