Pic Of My Pond

Guest Debs

I've had a crazy year this summer and haven't even taken out my camera. This pic is from last summer. I try to spend as much time as possible by the pond. I keep my 4 large singletails in it and they love it too. Before you know it, I'll be bringing them in for winter. :ignorepond07Small.jpg

Thx...will you be able to keep your pond open for the winter?? It gets pretty wicked where you are doesn't it? I have no choice here. First winter I bought a 50 gal. for my 4 fish. The next winter I had to buy a 90 gal. Have to admit,,,I do enjoy having them inside for the winter. They wag their tails when I come home from work... :heart They add a little sunshine to a long dark Manitoba winter

:D Thank you both. It took a whole year to move in all the rock....a true labour of love. and no on the floating plants. I let them go every year. One year I tried to bring in a few into the aquariums, but the roots were not too pretty so I gave up. Can't even imagine a florida winter.....sounds like a fantasy!!!!! My water lilies somehow survive our Manitoba winters. They freeze into a block of ice then somehow grow back every spring.

:D Thank you both. It took a whole year to move in all the rock....a true labour of love. and no on the floating plants. I let them go every year. One year I tried to bring in a few into the aquariums, but the roots were not too pretty so I gave up. Can't even imagine a florida winter.....sounds like a fantasy!!!!! My water lilies somehow survive our Manitoba winters. They freeze into a block of ice then somehow grow back every spring.

LOL, yeah, our winter is really mild, the coldest it been here was prolly 10* F , i can only dream of snow! :cry:cold:

We're already planning our strategy for keeping a hole open in the ice for the fish and critters. This will be our first winter with a pond, and I hope we don't have any problems. Sometimes our winters are harsh, sometimes not. I doubt it's ever as cold here, as it is where you are, though. What Zone are you in, Deb? You talk about four single-tails, what are your other fish?

Technically, you're not supposed to have water hyacinth in Florida because it's considered a pest plant. Invasive species thing.

Really?? :unsure: I had no idea! My uncle just gave them to me from his pond and there are a few nursary who sells them here, I didn't know they were illegal in FL !! :ignore I'll find a responsible way to get rid of them.

Lantern, I'm in zone 2b, however, the gardener in me is in a state of denial....grow some zone 4 and 5 perennials. However, we spend much of the winter at 25 below 0....and frequent 30 - 35 below. I'd have to have a pond 7' deep to not freeze solid. The other fish I have are 2 young ones I've kept. Every year I try to keep 1. My fish are 2 female and 2 male...they are the best of friends and breed like gentle rabbits. Many of the young survive in the pond by hiding in the roots of the floating plants. I may need to add on to my house to hold more large aquariums...oops!!

I also keep 3 dojo loaches in the 50 gal. They are so ugly they're cute...

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hyacin2.html

Oh, and it's only Texas that it's really illegal to have them. It's just not suggested to have them in Florida because of past problems.

"This plant is not native to North America and it is illegal to possess or transport this species in Texas. Please report any sightings of this plant to Texas Park and Wildlife Department."

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/floatin...er_hyacinth.htm

great looking pond! glad you take in the fish so they dont turn out like the frozen lilies

it is always best to check what plants a illegal in different states, just as a side note. sorry, not trying to hyjack your thread

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've had a crazy year this summer and haven't even taken out my camera. This pic is from last summer. I try to spend as much time as possible by the pond. I keep my 4 large singletails in it and they love it too. Before you know it, I'll be bringing them in for winter. :ignorepond07Small.jpg
Hi, this is Darr, I'm new and I sure love your pond. I'm trying to get a 8000.gal pond finished. I love the way you have your water fall. Gives me Ideas. thanks Darr

Thanks Darr!! I don't regret one moment of all the work making this pond. It is one of the most pleasant things in my life. I always get ideas from looking at pics of other ponds. One day I hope to widen the waterfall. Saw it in a pic and loved it! Good luck with your pond and hope to see pics soon!! I wish I lived in a warmer climate like yours so that I could enjoy the pond more. Today we have a windchill of -40....... what I wouldn't give to be where you are... :exactly

Thx Angel. You're such a good artist you could sketch your dream pond so you build it right the first time. :exactly And thx Bala....it really is peacefull. One thing to keep in mind. The rocks we placed around the pond are mostly 2" - 6" round granite. These can be difficult to walk on. On Nov.2 when I was pulling the net to remove excess leaves I tripped on those rocks, fell, and broke my knee cap in half. :blink: I've learnt the hard way that I should have considered the difficulty of walking around the pond with all the round little rocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Pond! I too hope to have one someday. It must have taken a long time to build.