New Tank

I have two beautiful goldfish right now- a large red dragoneye tosakin and a medium red oranda in- guess what- a ten gallon tank. It must be torture for them. I knew at some point when they got bigger I would need to upgrade and now is the time. So, I was wondering what size tank I should get for them. Im planning on getting a small/medium pearlscale and a large blue oranda and another large ranchu for the tank along with a few small snails. What size should my new tank be? Im a complete addict now so I just cant resist getting more fish. Its odd- my house looks like a goldfish tank, my food looks like goldfish flake, if someone trips awkwardly I tell them to eat peeled frozen peas, if someone has the chicken pox I tell them that Rid-Ich and a salt bath will cure it, and if someone has asthma and has trouble breathing I perscribe them 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water during their nightly bath and tell them it will help their gill inflammation. Does anyone else have these symptoms?

:rofl:tomuch::rofl3 You're hilarious!

So, now to the serious question. For five goldies, I'd at least get a 60 gallon tank, but I really would prefer that, with three biggies, if you can afford it, a 75-80 would be great!

Oh! Palm Springs! Have you been to Aquarium Odyssey in Palm Desert?! It's a really nice store!

Aquarium Odyssey

73950 US Highway 111

Palm Desert, CA 92260

Phone: (760) 837-1868

Edited by Lynda Von G

As it stands you will need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank. But, with your plans to get 3 more goldfish (equaling 5 all together) you'll need a minimum of 50 gallons. Not to mention the snails, which need a minimum of 5 gallons each. On a side note, snails breed like rabbits, do you really want more than 1?! :)

So, let's say hypothetically you buy 3 more goldfish and 2 snails you will need a 60 gallon tank (10 gallons per x 5 GF= 50 gallons + 5 gallons per x2 snail= 10 gallons) GRAND TOTAL= 60 gallons! :)

The people at aquarium odyssey are my best friends! I get everything there its my favorite store. I got both my fishies there- they rescued a bunch of fish from someone who left their tank abandoned and I took one. Theyre great people. Tell them I said hi if you go anytime soon! Say my name is spencer! =D

Thanks for the response! I have room for an 80 gal so ill do that! Im excited now!

My parents live out in Palm Desert. I dropped by Aquarium Odyssey on my last trip out there for something to do and was very impressed. I will stop by again when I'm out there; probably over Labor Day. Did you happen to see the two giant Sakura ryukins when they had them about 2 months ago? ..... heck they might still have 'em.......

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

Yeah, I'd agree I'd get a big 59/60 gallon tank, because ten gallons per fish and 5 gallons per snail and maybe you might end up with an unexpected new fish too, you'll have the room! haha

EDIT- Wow i'm late. What did you go out and get a tank today or order it? lol

Edited by Kayla's Goldfish

Yeah, I'd agree I'd get a big 59/60 gallon tank, because ten gallons per fish and 5 gallons per snail and maybe you might end up with an unexpected new fish too, you'll have the room! haha

EDIT- Wow i'm late. What did you go out and get a tank today or order it? lol

I think he meant his future new tank! lol!

OOH! Yes, Spencer. Those sakuras were gorgeous! I definitely would've bought one if I'd had room for one of those big boys! And they are boys. They had some beautiful breeding stars!

Edited by Lynda Von G