Missing Scales

Desiree

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0>0.25 (Ammonia in tap water!)

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? PH: 7.8, KH: 125.3, GH: 143.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? PH: 7.4, KH: 80, GH: 75

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit

[*]Water temperature? 80F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 Gallons, Fishless cycle since 5/25/08, added fish 7/05/08

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Marineland 350 (350 GPH)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 80% every 3-5 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 lionhead/ ranchu: 1 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 inch, and a family of Japanese Trapdoor Snails

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Buff it Up, Cycle

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? ProGold, Salad Supreme, Hikari Lionhead, Gelfood, Peas, Spinach, Basil

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Both fish have a few scales missing, presumably because they swim between the filter/ glass and through the dragon. Both fish are white, and it is visible there are missing scales, but there is no redness or anything...

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope, there as active and rambunctious as ever!

Okay, I'm erring on the side of precaution by posting this. I really think my fish are okay, but I just want to make sure I facilitate proper healing for them as best as I can. Currently, both fish have missing scales, it's visible, but there is no redness, or any signs of infection. I just want to make sure this is a good sign and know what I really need to look out for.

Please note, I have a family of snails in my tank, so I imagine I cannot salt the tank. I do not have a QT tank running and cannot place them in a rubbermaid for fear of cats going hunting. I live in a studio apartment, so I do not have a room I can put the cats in, away from the fish. Also, in regards to the snails, I know this makes me "overstocked", I purchased 1 snail, she was pregnant and had 5 or 6 little babies. I am raising them until they are big enough and then they will be brought back to the store for credit. :)

You've been on here long enough that we know you know what you're doing, but it's always good to err on the side of caution.

I, too, think that your fish will be fine. Just keep a close eye on them and look out for even the slightest bit of red indicating infection. If you have to salt, I'm sure that you could just take out your snails and put them in some sort of alternative container. That would be better than moving your fish. Even though that type of snail is non-hermaphroditic, let's just hope that they don't decide to engage in a little incest before you're ready to give them away.

You've been on here long enough that we know you know what you're doing, but it's always good to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lynda! :)

Even though that type of snail is non-hermaphroditic, let's just hope that they don't decide to engage in a little incest before you're ready to give them away.

Oh god, that would be AWFUL! That reminds me I need to research at what age are they sexually mature. Thanks for the (gross) reminder! :) Also, am I right in the notion that tanks with snails cannot be salted? It's been a while...

Yeah, I was thinking it was redness I needed to watch out for. I don't have my Fancy Goldfish book anymore, and couldn't remember if there were anything else I needed to look out for. Thanks again! :)

Dang it Heidi! That avatar keeps staring at me! :tomuch:

Did I ask how your new seamonster is doing? what did you name it?

Too funny... I just replied to that very question in Sue's thread. :) Oh, well I guess I forgot to answer part of it... I'm still debating between the names Hydra and Capricorn. :)

Edited by Desiree

Too funny... I just replied to that very question in Sue's thread. :) Oh, well I guess I forgot to answer part of it... I'm still debating between the names Hydra and Capricorn. :)

I asked it twice. Thought I asked it, and when I didn't see it, I thought it didn't take so I asked it again, but it ended up that I asked it somewhere else! duh... they're both cute, but I think Hydra kinda goes more with Leviathan and Kraken....

isn't creepy !!!...honestly this avatar makes people take me seriously...do ever look at avatars as a persons way of speaking or how they come across .. :rofl

So we're to take a doll seriously? Hahah! :) Dolls freak me out. But, based on your avatar theory... everyone should think I'm really grumpy. It's a picture of my super grumpy, sleepy, lazy cat Cleo... She curls up into a ball so tight, I've dubbed her Popple. Hahah! But ultimately, she's a grump!

Lynda, No problem! :) Yeah, I'm leaning towards the name Hydra myself. I've done a huge water change and rearranged some stuff in the tank in the chance I do go to the LFS. Just in case my fish are only seemingly sweet and become territorial little devils when I bring in a new one. Time will tell. :)

isn't creepy !!!...honestly this avatar makes people take me seriously...do ever look at avatars as a persons way of speaking or how they come across .. :rofl

So we're to take a doll seriously? Hahah! :) Dolls freak me out. But, based on your avatar theory... everyone should think I'm really grumpy. It's a picture of my super grumpy, sleepy, lazy cat Cleo... She curls up into a ball so tight, I've dubbed her Popple. Hahah! But ultimately, she's a grump!

Lynda, No problem! :) Yeah, I'm leaning towards the name Hydra myself. I've done a huge water change and rearranged some stuff in the tank in the chance I do go to the LFS. Just in case my fish are only seemingly sweet and become territorial little devils when I bring in a new one. Time will tell. :)

A "possessed" doll at that! And, was it Ash Wednesday when you took that picture of the doll or is it part of the Manson family? (referring to that cross on its forehead....)

A "possessed" doll at that! And, was it Ash Wednesday when you took that picture of the doll or is it part of the Manson family? (referring to that cross on its forehead....)

LOL...I didn't even see that!!!......hahaha desiree...I totally forgot about popples till now !!!