How Many Fish Do I Want In My Tanks?

Okay so some background information first..

Right now I have 5 goldfish.. They are all in tanks that are technically too small but they are all in temporary tanks which as of now are fine in size. I do a 50% water change one week, then a 100% water change every second week, just to keep things under control. The nitrates are kept either under, or at most, exactly 20.... The tanks are cycled, and the reason I have not moved them is because 1) the fish are small 2) the cycles are safe 3) I have been working on the larger tanks. The 29 gallon tank was where all the madness happened with all my original goldies. I wasn't taking caring of them right, nor cleaning the gravel often, so I am sure bad bacteria accumulated. So I wanted a fresh start in there. The 38 gallon tank was bought used from craig's list, that is why I have PPed THAT tank and would like to start a fresh fishless cycle in there. Sure I could move over media and speed up the process, but doing a brand new fishless cycle in both would mean that ANY trace of diseased was elimated, and I can feel 100% secure now that I am doing my maintence properly, and new fish have all been quarentined.

Angel is about 2 inches including her tail, and right now is being housed in a cycled 5 gallon tank..

Miranda & Samantha are each about 3 inches including tails, and are housed in a cycled 10 gallon tank.

Kahlua & Malibu are the largest. They are about 4 inches including tails and are housed in a cycling 10 gallon tank. Basically, the cycle stalled when salt was added, but now that the salt is gone it is picking back up.. Almost back to normal at this point.

My original plan was to out Kahlua & Malibu in the 38 gallon. Miranda & Samantha in the 29 gallon. And move Angel to one of the 10 gallons that would be left unoccupied after the other fish are moved. That would still leave me a 10 gallon tank empty for hospital. And two empty 5 gallons I could use for hospital..

However, of course, when you are undercrowded it's hard to resist new fish.. My favorite fish are orandas and telescopes... I like the idea of keeping the various types of fish seperate, so that they don't have to compete with other types.

The rule is always 10 gallons per fish.. However, some orandas get large and need more. However, that could be a long time down the road.. Right now if I were to house all the orandas in the 38 gallon, that would mean I was coming in a little short of 10 gallons per fish. But they are all smaller rather than larger.. At most I have 14 inches of fish between all of the orandas.. You guys all know how serious I am about my water changes.. I do believe the 38 gallon could comfortably be a home for the orandas for quite sometime without problems..

If that were true, that would leave me an empty 29 gallon : ) Which would mean I could could still get a Black & White Moor (THE black and white moor in particular LMAO) and still have room for a lavendar cream moor if one became available..

Angel could either go with the other telescopes, and I would be 1 gallon off. Or she could remain in a 10 gallon as planned originally. I prefer her own right now, as she is smaller than the other fish, and I don't want her to get picked on. Either way I am still doing water changes on the same NUMBER of tanks.. I am just getting two extra babies out of it.

OR am I pushing it?? I want honest opinions here. It's actually a hard decision. I KNOW I won't slack on water changes. I know it!!!I've been doing one or more water changes daily a month, with some days doing them on many many tank if needed, and I don't slack off on the changes, or the testing, or the QT or any of it. I'm not saying I won't ever make a mistake, but I won't purposely slack off.. If putting the 4 orandas in the 38 gallon meant doing water changes every 5 days instead of 7, I could. Or if it meant doing 100% water changes every two weeks, instead of every month I could. But I don't want to do these things if it will hurt the fish I have now.. If it's going to be bad for them in any way, I would rather save up for another tank someday, and then try to get the moors.

The black & white moor on GFC is making me nuts. Especially since Shane keeps saying to buy it!! I was able to resist my own thoughts. But now Tanya & Shane (who are about as sick of goldfish as two people could ever be) are telling me everyday "get that one! He's perfect!!! Do it". How can you resist when the people who are supposed to tell you no, or at one point even said "I will be mad at you if you ever spend that much on a fish" are the same ones telling you to DO IT DO IT DO IT!! I need input... Cause my mind is swirling!!

:devilangel

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

So correct me if I'm wrong, you want to move 4 Oranda's in a 38 gallon, and eventually three demekins in a 29 gallon? I think this is fine, like it is only a gallon or two off but I am sure it wont cause any real problems. But I think I would move Angel into the ten gallon once this starts because it would give her more of a chance to grow, I am not just telling you this sounds good because I want to see pretty pictures (Even though I do!) But it doesn't sound like they're going to be cramped or anything lmao so I think it'll all be good, just after that resist more fishies and word of advice, for your last two fish dont settle for anything less that your not crazy about because it'll make you want more fish haha.

Thanks for the great advice Kayla!!! I know what you mean about not settling. The black & white moor is sooooo sweet, but there are lots of black and white moors that are sooooo sweet.. Is this really the ONE?! I'm glad you agree about Angel in the 10 gallon to give her a change to grow. I really think it would help her. Sure I would have to do water changes on an extra tank, but she's a little baby girl, she needs extra lovin'!

I'm very curious to what Lynda will say.. She could take the devil side and say DO IT, or she could be the voice of reason and tell me to back off.. LOL

Kathy, if I know you at all, miss "i am done with fish oh wait here comes another" you will tell me to get it..

Not to be the voice of the devil, instead of the devil's advocate, Sue... but I say GO FOR IT! Honestly, you've made some very valid points in this post and I think you know yourself (and your water changing habits) enough to know that you care and that you will do everything you can to make these fish happy and healthy in their homes. Honestly, I know the rule of thumb, and I do agree with it (I've learned my lesson). But, I don't think 1 or 2 gallons is going to make a world of difference on these tanks. I personally have a 29 gallon with a 350 gph filter. My 2 fish are small but you can bet that as soon as my cycle stabilizes (please hurry!) that I will be bringing home a calico lionhead/ranchu and will technically be "overstocked" due to the 1 gallon deficiency. I'm willing to up the water changes to make up for that gallon, as I'm sure you would be too!

Here's my reasons and suggestions on why I think you should go for it:

1. You are extremely invested in your fish's health and don't slack on water changes! :)

2. I love the idea of species only tanks! Matter of fact, I prefer them!

3. I would recommend increasing the filtration over the 10x on these tanks, ie. 350 gph on a 30 gallon, etc.

4. Decorate lightly! Less decorations= More water & more room for swimming!

Do it! :)

I am currently housing two goldies, a 1" pom pom oranda and a 2" lionhead in a 10 gallon. I cycled it with the pom pom and added the lionhead after it cycled for company. The parameters remain perfect. I have no problems with the water quality. I'm doing this until my tiny one gets big enough that he won't get sucked into the big boys' mouths when they yawn! lol! Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I am waiting until he gets bigger and then they all will go into the big tank. I think the biggest reason to force people to stick firmly to the 10 gallon rule is that it's just better to err on the side of caution. It's also so that people don't have to keep spending money on bigger and bigger tanks. So, if you can keep up good water conditions, it isn't a problem if you exceed the standard requirements a little bit UNTIL they start getting bigger and the issue of stunting comes into play.

That said, with a lot of inferred justification, I'm leaving the decision up to you, darling, as to what to do... <evil grin> and the devil has spoken.... :devilangel

Thanks for being the voice of reason, Lynda! :)

lol! That was only semi-reasonable I think! lol!

Ahhh I've already got a devil and an angel! Interesting!

You need 10 plus gallons per fish.

Angel, I mean Hi-Dr. If I follow this rule I would have room for one more fish only. 3 in the 38, 2 in the 29, and 1 in the ten.. I would have to keep Angel in the 10. Then keep Kahlua & Malibu in the 29, Then Samantha & Miranda in the 38, and could add one more fish. But since i want a telescope, I couldn't do the whole themed tank.. I still could get one more fish, but not the black & white moor, because I do want to save for a Lavendar Cream Moor (or Lavendar something moor)

Here's my reasons and suggestions on why I think you should go for it:

1. You are extremely invested in your fish's health and don't slack on water changes! :)

2. I love the idea of species only tanks! Matter of fact, I prefer them!

3. I would recommend increasing the filtration over the 10x on these tanks, ie. 350 gph on a 30 gallon, etc.

4. Decorate lightly! Less decorations= More water & more room for swimming!

Do it! :)

Now onto Desi the Devil! I love your list : ) Filtration would not be a problem. The 29 gallon has a Penguin 350 BioWheel.. The 38 gallon has a Penguin 350 BioWheel and a Penguin 200 Biowheel!!! So in both tanks I have extra filtration. And for decorated, I started out decorating for looks. Now I decorate for my fish. At first my tank had a large amount of gravel, ornaments which Trinket informed me may damage the fish.. and too many of them at that. Now I am keeping basic. I am using backgrounds on the outside to keep them more interesting, no gravel in any tanks, just a thin layer of gem stones. (So techincally there is more room in MY tanks, than someone with a 40 gallon, 4 fish, and a layer of gravel). I have been gradually progessing to more empty tanks, for more swimming space.. Actually I have new pics of the 10 gallons which I will post. (In here to show you guys)

OOH now there's Lynda.. (You weren't here at first you mostly devil) I know if Lynda was strongly against it she would have told me (at least that's what I expect from you!!).. I agree that for now, the most important thing is that the water params remain in tact... Also, let's face it... If these fish begin to grow too much, you guys KNOW I would find a way to get them into a larger home.... Without question.. I'll sell my blood! : )

Ya know what I need right now????? DARYL!!!! Last time she told me DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! Everyone trusts her word and if she said no, I would listen to it without question, but if she said DO it, I would listen to it without question!

Tanya just talked to me. I said "seriously what is the deal? Why are you encouraging me?" She said "I can't explain it, this just feels like its supposed to be YOUR fish!!!"...

I haven't even decided yes yet, but the next question is, bid or buy now??!?!?

Oh and one more piece of info.. Kahlua & Malibu's ALMOST cycled tank is officially back to fully cycled. Today we have 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, and just a little over 10 nitrate! : ) That tank just had 0.3% salt for 2 weeks, and like I said is on day 28 of prazi. So I believe I could safely seed the tank with media from that...

***EDIT*** ooooh Heidi! I was JUST about to PM you and ask for your advice too!!! Hearing your set up sure makes me feel more like being a devil. (My horns are growing!!!).. I can totally do extra water changes.. You know it!!! : ) Ask Vickie LOL

So.. what do you guys THINK of LOT #2!?!?!?! He's the cheapest of em all. Is there something bad about him???? I think he is a CUTIE PIE!!!

Any more Angels OR Devils?!

I think you know the work involved ..it will not be a shock to you ...I also say go for it .if need be you can always set up rubbermaids too until you can find a bigger tank..I even think Daryl from time to time has had an extra fish here and there .but she is all dedication ..she tells people it can be done but it is going to have to be work on your part :)

I feed less too when I'm at limits (once a day ) well actually i feed once a day regardless and fast one day a week ..that will help too

The only "bad" thing about him is that the black, as we all know, has the potential of "fading." However, as it's maintained that much black to the size of 5" says that he may keep what he has. He's a big, bad beauty.....

Ahhh, you know me too well, rofl! Both myself and the "Evil Twin" say sounds like a plan to us. I actually have 3 in my 29 gal. Fric, Frac & Spook. As for bidding or buying, remember with the bidding that if the reserve price isn't met by the end of the auction the fish doesn't get sold. I await your decision with bated breath, lol!

I am currently housing two goldies, a 1" pom pom oranda and a 2" lionhead in a 10 gallon.

OOH! I think I need to modify my post here! I just measured my tiny ones, and they are growing by leaps and bounds! My lionhead is now 2 1/4" and my tiny Toby is a whopping 1 1/2"! Once that little Toby reaches 2", they get to eat at the big kids' table!

Edited by Lynda Von G

Shane let me back on for a second LMAO What happens if you place a ceiling bid, but right now no one is outbidding you, so technically the reserve has not been met... JUST SAY! Just hypothetical. (go look). Just pretend that happened how does it work (go look go look). And pretend they used peoples names to indicate who is winning. And SUPPOSE it said SUFE. And SUPPOSE my name is Sue and my Last name starts with FE. Just SAY.. What would happen then?!?!?!

Shane let me back on for a second LMAO What happens if you place a ceiling bid, but right now no one is outbidding you, so technically the reserve has not been met... JUST SAY! Just hypothetical. (go look). Just pretend that happened how does it work (go look go look). And pretend they used peoples names to indicate who is winning. And SUPPOSE it said SUFE. And SUPPOSE my name is Sue and my Last name starts with FE. Just SAY.. What would happen then?!?!?!

Let's just say, hypothetically, that you're absolutely silly! lol!

Well, I can't speak for GFC because I've never bid on there, but I've done ebay, etc. If there's a reserve, if no one meets it, it won't get sold, even if you were the highest bidder. I think. But, if you're willing to meet the reserve and/or buy it now price (are they the same? with other auctions, that's not necessarily the case), I'd put that price as your ceiling and see what happens. As far as other bidders outbidding you, I personally, play a more strategic game with bidding. I wait until the last minute, then put in the absolute highest top bid I can and then let it run. That way, no one else knows you're interested and they're feeling all nice and cozy because they don't feel threatened and that keeps the price lower, and then, bam!, out of the blue, you hit 'em by surprise! But, that's with ebay. GFC, I don't know.....

Guest Kayla's Goldfish

You kind of confused me, but I understand that when you have a ceiling bid, and your regular bid if someone outbids your regular bid will automatically go up the minimum, until you reach your ceiling bid, then I think you'll get an e-mail. If no one bids higher than your regular bid you are sold the fishy for your minimum price then.

Let's just say, hypothetically, that you're absolutely silly! lol!

ONLY hypotheticall of course!! LOL I PMed Daryl and asked her to look at this thread and see if I could get the go ahead from her.. Then Shane & Tanya said "just bid just bid and see". UH OH I hope Daryl doesn't come on and say "bad idea". Maybe she can be bribed..

Okay I don't wanna give away too much. I am gonna assume that most people on here that know me wouldn't start a bidding war. But I put in a nice high ceiling bid. I'm pretty sure it's higher than the reserve... So in that case, if I am the only one that bids, will it just sell the fish to me at the reserve price!!

I am soo excited.. Shane & I want to maybe name her/him (can you tell?) Kharma (the h is on purpose) He says that the reason he said I should get this fish is because I was sooo nice about something the other day that I deserved a little bit of good karma.. So just now he said "hey maybe Karma?" and for some reason I like the H..

Now I am scared what if I dont get her. Or Daryl says no no no.. (Say Do It Do It Do It again Daryl!!)

Lynda, are you the one who I always lose bids to on Ebay?! Hahah! JK! Personally, I know nothing of GFC auctions, but I do know Ebay. Lynda is right, bid strategically. I'm a total record nerd and I place everything in my "favorites" then I wait, and wait, and wait. Within the last 5 minutes I place a small bid, then within the last minute, I raise the bid, really, really high within the last 30 seconds. Works like a charm everytime. Well, almost everytime.

Okay, back on track. Sue, I checked out the auction and the fish your are looking at is absolutely beautiful! I simply LOVE the name Kharma, too! :) Good luck on the bidding. When does the auction end?! Crap, now I'm gonna be OCD watching not only Koko's but GFC as well! Hahahah!

pragmatism.... be prepared for the worst so that when anything better happens, it's a lovely surprise....

No, not with strategy like that Desiree! btw... how's your third seamonster doing? And what was the name choice?

Edited by Lynda Von G

I thought that sufe might be you, lol. I'm not sure what the policy is with your what if scenario. Could be if you aren't outbid but your ceiling covers the reserve price they may contact you to see if you want it for that. It won't be left go for less than the reserve. You could probably e-mail Rick or Dandy Orandas and ask. Good luck on your bid!! I hope you get it.

I know I messed up. I knew Lynda that you recently told someone else your plan and I knew I should wait til closer to the end to bid, but I just went click crazy LOL Everyone here was saying "bid bid bid" so I just bid... I wanna tell you guys what I put as my bid, but what if some evil person who doesn't respect that it's MY fish sees it and bids LOL If I lose this fish, then it's just a sign that it's not meant to be right now... (you know me with my signs..) The other idea for the fish was Destiny.. Except, I keep picturing someone named Destiny from TV that bugs me. Oh and another name idea was Gothika!!! Right now I think Kharma is in the lead. We'll see when and if I win her/him though..

Okay, back on track. Sue, I checked out the auction and the fish your are looking at is absolutely beautiful! I simply LOVE the name Kharma, too! :) Good luck on the bidding. When does the auction end?! Crap, now I'm gonna be OCD watching not only Koko's but GFC as well! Hahahah!

Oh good I am glad you like the fish And the name!!!! : ) YAY! Oh no Des, are you all OCD too?? So am I!! I wanna check the page every five seconds, if not more (moor! LMAO LMAO) I have so many OCD quirks it's such a pain!! LOL

Kathy, Hi-D? Do you guys like the fish I picked out???!!

I sat there going "I wonder what SUFE means.. What kind of code is that?!" I told you guys the blonde was getting to me LMAO

Nah.... Gothika is for a black fish... Destiny reminds me of country boys' names in the 80s. Or was that Destry... whatever... close enough. I like Kharma...