Research On Tiny Worms Complete

vols

I hope I am not breaking any rules by letting everyone know my findings but I thought some maybe interested in my findings. I watched little worms crawling from a clear bubble/nest in my tropical tank and freaked out. I have 11, almost 1 week old, black mollie fry in there with their parents and didn't want to hurt any of them. Well, I went to http://www.petfish.net/articles/Aquarium_Basics/bug-worm.php and found out some great information and it completely backed up what Thoughts of Joy had reassured me with yesterday. I believe these little worms are going to be nothing but great food for my fish and I believe I will be able to rid my tank of them soon. here are my thoughts of what they are Nematodes: tiny, thin, HAIRLESS worms which swim by making S shapes back and forth. Not to be confused with mosquito or midge larva (below) which have hairs. Often pink or red colored. 1-5mm long. Danger: Harmless to plants, inverts, fry and fish - OR - Unknown worm: tiny, thin, hairless and whitish or yellow. Crawls on side of glass, seems to be searching for food. Might be a type of Nematode.

Danger: Harmless. Sometimes present when theres an excess of food in the aquarium.

Hope this may help others who come across the same. :bingo:

Nope, not breaking any rules. We're always glad for more info and also to know that you got your problem resolved. AND that your baby fishies got a tasty snack out of the whole thing!

Someone told me those thin white ones were Planaria, but they were wrong. Huh. I wonder what they really are. It's weird that they pop up out of no where.

I've had Hydra in one of my tanks before. They're kind of fascinating looking things. Like little itty bitty trees. They were about this tall-> |

Guest Sly C. Pea
here are my thoughts of what they are Nematodes: tiny, thin, HAIRLESS worms which swim by making S shapes back and forth. Not to be confused with mosquito or midge larva (below) which have hairs. Often pink or red colored. 1-5mm long.

The largest nematode ever recorded, Placentonema gigantissima, was discovered parasitizing the placenta of a sperm whale, measuring 8.5 metres in length with a diameter of 0.3 mm, and containing 32 ovaries.

:blink:

here are my thoughts of what they are Nematodes: tiny, thin, HAIRLESS worms which swim by making S shapes back and forth. Not to be confused with mosquito or midge larva (below) which have hairs. Often pink or red colored. 1-5mm long.

The largest nematode ever recorded, Placentonema gigantissima, was discovered parasitizing the placenta of a sperm whale, measuring 8.5 metres in length with a diameter of 0.3 mm, and containing 32 ovaries.

:blink:

eeeeeekkkkk!!!!! I don't know what scares me more....... a 332 foot worm or that it had 32 ovaries..... as a woman, and knowing what ovaries can do..... I, personally am scared of the 32 ovaries most!

Thanks Mr. Sly for putting that picture in my head!