Not So Killer Banjo Cat.

I know people are gonna get sick of this but I'm having more problems with my cories. Ok, so I had a banjo cat in my 10g qt and I added 2 cories. One of the cories ended up having half of his tail eaten off and died from the injuries. I thought the only culprit could have been the banjo cat so I took him back to my lfs and picked up two more cories. I have 3 cories in my 10g qt and today I noticed that one of them has a chewed on tail! He wasn't like that when I bought him so what is going on? Will cory cats eat their own? They were all active and healthy before this happened. I've been feeding them regularly and everything else is normal. I moved the two cories into the main 55g tank and the injured one is isolated in the 10g. I think he'll pull through but do I have a killer cory?

I don't have any experience with tropicals, but I was wondering if fin rot is the problem, rather than another fish.

Hopefully someone with more tropical experience can comment on this.

What are your water params? Can you get a pic of the cory's tail? If not, try and describe it a little - is there fuzzy white stuff on the end of the tail, are there bloody streaks in what's remaining of the tail, are any of the other fins or barbels affected or just the tail, etc. And are there any other symptoms your fish are exhibiting - flashing, bottom sitting, etc.

My ph is 7.6 and ammonia is 0, don't know my nitrites and nitrates. There are no signs of disease and I inspect all my fish every day for signs of illness. This morning all the cories were fine with intact tails and when I got home from work the one cory had half of his tail gone. The bottom half of his tail looks like it's been shredded by something. I can't get a good pic with my current camera but the exact same thing happened to the first injured cory. I went to bed and when I got up the next morning his tail was shredded the same way only a little worse. After thinking about it whatever was eating his tail kept going back for more cuz he had less and less of his tail left by the end. It was only the tail on both cories too, their barbels and other fins appear intact. There's nothing in the tank that would have done it either and I have QT'd several fish in it over the last few months with no problems until now. I have never heard of an aggressive cory before but I don't know what else it could be.

Edited by tangelo123

A quick update: I've got the 2in suspected aggressive cory, my original full grown cory and another new 2in cory in my 55g tank along with my usual 4 fancy gf. The newly injured cory is isolated in the 10g qt and I don't think he's gonna make it. I've decided that it's probably something in the 10g tank and not the cory that was shredded their tails. I've been watching the suspected killer in the 55g like a hawk and he's shown no signs that he's aggressive. I don't know if it's the filter intake, the decorations or something in the gravel but after this little episode I'm breaking that tank down and starting it over again. This has been so weird. I've had 2 cories come up with the same critical injury and still no definite answer. I'll post more if I ever figure it out. Thanks.

A quick update: I've got the 2in suspected aggressive cory, my original full grown cory and another new 2in cory in my 55g tank along with my usual 4 fancy gf. The newly injured cory is isolated in the 10g qt and I don't think he's gonna make it. I've decided that it's probably something in the 10g tank and not the cory that was shredded their tails. I've been watching the suspected killer in the 55g like a hawk and he's shown no signs that he's aggressive. I don't know if it's the filter intake, the decorations or something in the gravel but after this little episode I'm breaking that tank down and starting it over again. This has been so weird. I've had 2 cories come up with the same critical injury and still no definite answer. I'll post more if I ever figure it out. Thanks.

You said you had a couple of cories before the banjo... How old are the older cories? I've ran into mean cories. It's rare, but it does happen. Check out this thread http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...mp;#entry780194 see post #8 where I discribed "killer" avery large cory. They can become territorial and end up killing angthing that comes into theit territory.

That's weird. Hopefully you can figure out what the problem was, but more importantly that no other of your corries get their tails shredded. Maybe the extra room and new set up fixed the agressive cory's territorial behavior.

Yeah, sometimes weird things just happen. Awhile ago I found one of my cories stuck to the filter intake but he was still alive. After examining him I saw that his stomach was slit open! I guess he cut it on one of the tank decorations when he was zipping around. That's when I removed all the plastic plants and put in silk ones.

Also, I had tetras (red eye, x-ray and serpae) and danios that attacked my cories and bit their fins off.

I am curious about yours and hope you get it all straightened out.

Edited by Kristi

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions and thanks for those links Roni and Kets! I'm almost 100% sure it was the cory doing all the damage. I had the aggressive cory, the last of the new smaller cories and my full grown cory along with my 4 fancy gf in the 55g. This morning at feeding time one of the new smaller cories was swimming at the top really slow and weird. Then I saw that his barbels had been eaten off. He ended up dying this evening. He was perfectly active and healthy the night before. I've got the killer isolated in the 10g now.

You said you had a couple of cories before the banjo... How old are the older cories? I've ran into mean cories. It's rare, but it does happen. Check out this thread http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...mp;#entry780194 see post #8 where I discribed "killer" avery large cory. They can become territorial and end up killing angthing that comes into theit territory.

I have one full grown peppered(?) cory and I had a full grown emerald but he ended up dying due to a "bad batch" of cories from my lfs (I got a huge discount on this new batch of cories because of it). The aggressive cory is still a juvenile, he's not very old that's one reason why I didn't think it was him. My full grown cory Lido wasn't around the other cories when their tails got eaten but these new cories are all the same species of cory. I think they're Scleromystax macropterus based on pictures from that link from Kets. He's definitely male from the pointy dorsal fin.

Here's the best picture I could get of him:

007-1.jpg

Quick note: After looking at that site from Kets I've found that it is a macropterus and "Mature males will fight often inflicting significant damage". Must've picked out all males. He definitely isn't full grown but he sure dealt some significant damage.

I would suggest you call the store and see if they will take him back. Most lfs's will. Make sure they know he's aggressive. He needs to be put in with other fish that will defend themselves or in a plant tank.

I dont think that's a Scleromystax macropterus. It looks more like a regular paleatus, and those arent agressive. Can you get a closer picture?

Here's a close up, I know it's not the best picture...

006-1-1.jpg

He might be a regular paleatus, it's hard to tell from that picture. That's what the guy at my lfs told me he was. I've had cories before and I've never heard of an aggressive one but he's the only other fish that was in the tank when the second cory was injured. I even falsely accused a banjo cat and took him back after the first cory was chomped on.

Have you seen him acting agressive in the tank he's in now? Cool lookin tank btw, I've got a kind of colorful one so I really like seing the more natural looking ones.

Thanks! That's my 10g QT tank. He was isolated so he couldn't do any more damage. I never saw him actually displaying aggressive behavior, it seemed to always happen after lights out. The only difference I saw was that he swam a lot faster than the other cories and when he schooled with them he always tried to lay on top of the other ones. Maybe some kind of dominant thing? I don't know. He's back at the lfs right now, I got store credit towards a couple more cories. They're in QT at the moment. Hopefully they'll have all their body parts tomorrow morning.

Im ~65% percent sure he isnt a Scleromystax macropterus, but to get an almost 100% perfect identification, you should try the planet catfish forum

I didn't get a good enough picture for a 100% positive ID but I think you're right, it is a regular paleatus. I was kind of grasping at straws trying to explain the aggressive behavior but I'm gonna chalk it up to it just being a psyco fish. One more thing: The batch of cories this fish came in was from Florida. My lfs usually gets them from Chicago but the last 3 shipments all got sick and died on them. Probably doesn't make a difference.

On a lighter note after having cories on the brain for about 2 weeks now I'm thinking of trying to get some of the more exotic kinds and turning my 10g into an all cory tank. I'll have to see what I can get a hold of where I live but I've come to appreciate the little guys a lot more after this :D .