Lake Fish (sunnys, Bluegills) Ok To Add To Pond?

Guest Jennkerry

Guest Jennkerry

I love common lake fish, always have since I was a little girl. Funny, no barbies for me, I LOVED fishing and bringing home baby sunnies to put in my tanks. Well, that was 20-some-odd years ago and I no longer hang at the lakes edge with my butterfly net. Yet I still feel the temptation! LOL!

So, I was leaning against the deck railing this morning with my husband gazing into the pond and I said "I wonder if Sunnys would play well with the Koi and Goldfish?" He said "I have no clue!" A student of mine has a mix of sunnys, bluegills, pickerel, and wild catfish in with his koi. He catches them at the various lakes we have in the area. Even a couple of paint turtles as well. All do fine in his pond, but I dont want to take a risk if there are aggression problems with lake fish.

I wouldnt go to the extent of catching wild fish, but I would look into farm raised since its a controlled enviroment.

What do you think?

I admit, the same thought has crossed my mind. I really have no expertise but I am a bit familiar with wild fish. You did not say how large your student?s pond is (how much room is there for them to avoid each other). I do know that during spawning, sunfish and bluegills are very aggressive and territorial and guard their nests with vicious abandon. I would be surprised if this would work out well unless in a very large pond. As I said, I really do not know.

I advise against mixing your koi or goldfish with wild fish or even farm-raised lake fish. PHYLAL has a good point about the aggression, especially during spawning, but I would be more worried about diseases. Ornamental fish are raised in very specific environments that expose them to certain pathogens and protects them from others. Even with a farm-raised fish, I would be worried about cross-contamination.

Guest Jennkerry

Oh I totally agree about the disease possibility. I would def quar before adding to the pond. Im not sure how large his pond is, probably about 10x10. I wasnt interested in adding many, I would have been happy to try one. Thats all I had in my tank when I was a kid. I had a small sunny in with tropical fish like Sword Tails AND a turtle. The fish really didnt clash at all which surprises me NOW as an adult.

BUT, it was just a thought, I dont want to upset a good thing

I don't think quarantining would do it. I imagine what thoughtsofjoy meant was that wild-caught lake fish may carry, and be immune to, certain diseases, parasites, etc. that your store-bought ornamental goldfish have never come in contact with. You'd never notice any problems in qt.

I was wondering something similar about sectioning off a part near the shore of a large lake with chickenwire or mesh or something similar and putting koi in that. But I guess that would be the same thing, but worse - analogous to releasing them in the wild, which may have ill effects for the koi and the lake. Anyone else ever think of doing this?