How To Repel Neighbor's Cat?

Acupunk

We live in a suburban neighborhood and have a six foot tall fence around our backyard. In our backyard there is a trampoline for our kids. Out of concern for safety we bought a top of the line model which cost well over $2000. Recently a neighbor's (don't know who) cat has taken to sunning itself on the trampoline. We often see it stretching out there, "exercising" its claws on the bed of the trampoline and the surrounding net. I am concerned that it could eventually do serious damage. In addition, it is pooping in our flower beds.

It ticks me off to have someone else's pet forced on me. Out of consideration for our neighbors we have a fence to enclose our small dog and have been very careful to train him to not bark. He is never outside our yard without a leash. I would not dream of expecting my neighbors to put up with any damage that he might cause to their property. When we walk him we carry baggies to pick up his poops. So I will be furious if someone else's cat wrecks a piece of equipment that we saved for months to buy. :madrant We don't live out in the country -- if you're going to have a cat, keep it in your house.

Can anyone offer any pointers for getting rid of this animal (short of a BB gun, LOL)? Apparently the fence is no deterrent. It is too hot for our dog to stay outside all day to chase it off. Because we don't know whose cat it is (and because it doesn't have a collar) we can't talk to the owner. I have tried to catch it in order to call animal control, but it runs off as soon as we open the back door.

Help!

ARe you sure it is not a "stray"? Many cats that run like that may be dumps....

Cats strongly dislike citrus. People LIKE citrus. A very environmentally sound way to discourage the cat is to put orange peels around the area you wish them to avoid. This will work for 80% of cats - if done often and in concentration.

For those who do not have LARGE volumes of citrus peels to put out nearly everyday, a citrus odored spray works nearly as well. "Refresh" your tamoiline bed with a spray of citrus deoderizer. In the beginning, be generous.

IF this does not work, there are more possibilities.....each more aggressive and perhaps more difficult, however.

Good luck. I have over 48 feral cats in a colony here. They do not use my flower beds nor do they scratch anything they should not. I, have, however, provided plenty of places that are more convenient for them - something you should not have to do for someone else's cat.

PLEASE do not use a BB gun.....

I was completely joking about the BB gun -- we don't even own one.

But I am very aggravated with this situation. I don't think it is a stray -- it looks very healthy and well fed. I will try the citrus thing but am somewhat concerned that it will either 1) make the trampoline slippery and/or 2) will adversely affect the integrity of the plastic and foam components of the trampoline, particularly when used in combination with the blazing summer sun.

Edited by Acupunk

I was completely joking about the BB gun -- we don't even own one.

But I am very aggravated with this situation. I don't think it is a stray -- it looks very healthy and well fed. I will try the citrus thing but am somewhat concerned that it will either 1) make the trampoline slippery and/or 2) will adversely affect the integrity of the plastic and foam components of the trampoline, particularly when used in combination with the blazing summer sun.

Hi Kristen,

We have the same prob here, except I know the neighbor (who won't do anything about it) and they like to get into our garage and patio and pee all over the place. I borrowed a humane trap and began trapping the cats with chicken meat as bait and then after keeping them in the trap (with food and water) overnight, releasing them. Now they associate my yard with being trapped and few return. The kittens born over there are another story.... they now have to be "trained" to stay out of my yard. Your local humane society has these traps to rent usually, or if there is a large problem with multiple cats, the traps run about $60.

Hope this helps.

Mothballs can be poisonous to dogs, babies, cats, etc. They are not recommended in any uncontroled situation.

The traps may work. I trap cats all the time - yet they come back - and continue to live here. I trap them for original sterillization and then yearly for vacinations. Any injuries mean I have to trap, again. They get a lot harder to get - and take a lot of sneakiness on my part to trap them, but they still come around and still contine to be trapped......

If you do not want to spray citrus oil products on your trampoline, what about a cloth cover or towel laid on it that is sprayed? I often use citrus soaked towels to discourage new cats from climbing up in the engine of the truck in the winter......

An easy way to do this is to by a Tattle Tale. It is a little plastic box (run by batteries) that makes an annoying screech when it feels a vibration (the cat jumping on your trampoline). They are about $30 and you can always bill your neighbor the cost. You can even put one in your flower bed. http://www.nextag.com/cat-tattle-tale-alarm/search-html

Mostly, you want to find a way to make your home unpleasent for cats.

Here is an article on discouraging cats as well...http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/cat_behavior_tip_sheets/discouraging_freeroaming_cats.html

Good luck!

I have heard that cats dont like cayenne pepper. This might work for the flower beds, but I can't imagine sprinkilng it on the trampoline where your kids would be playing. My mom used this to keep the neighbors 3 cats from digging up our vegtable bed, since everything else was not working.