I'm In Love!

Guest stina3246

Guest stina3246

So I went to my local pet store to buy crickets for my bearded dragon and saw a teany tiny black fish in a tank with 1 bigger fish. I asked about it and was told that it was the 1 remaining black molly fry. All the rest had been eaten by the mother. I asked how much she was and they told me I could have her. That's how I got my very first black molly now named Molli (I know, very original) 2 days later I went back and bought the momma, now named Lilly. They are both in their own seperate tanks but I may put them together once Molli is bigger. I know there are care sheets on them but they are very basic. I'd like advise from people who have been successful with them for years. Right now Molli is in a critter keeper (She's so tiny, less then 1/2 inch long) So i figured she'd be ok for a little while in there but I have read that they need a filter so I'll get her into a bigger tank with a filter this week. Lilly is in a 2 gallon hexagon tank, again, no filter but I get paid tomorrow so they'll get proper supplies. What about an air stone, should I worry about Molli getting sucked up by the filter, what foods?

Are live plants better then fake? Both of them have live plants right now.

I wish I could post pictures but every time I try my computer freezes up.

Thanks for your time!

Congrats on the new fish. Get a properly filtered tank as soon as possible, that's paramount. Until then, do water changes every day or every other day. 2.5 gallons would be ok for two females (you could save some money by getting a whisper/tetra in-tank filter for that tank) but they'd really prefer more room to swim around, if possible. The airstone isn't a must-have as long as you have enough filtration to aerate the water, but just like plants (live vs fake) and gravel, its personal preference so get whatever you want.

Mollies do better in slightly salted water - 1tsp to 10 gallons, but remember that salt doesn't evaporate, so if you have for example a ten gallon tank and you salt it w/ 1tsp, when you go to do a water change if you take out half the water, when you put in five gallons of water, only put 1/2tsp salt to keep it property salted. Only use aquarium salt. If you don't want to mess with all that, just keep it freshwater.

Feed them a variety of food, which can include tropical flakes, fresh veggies, and fresh or freeze-dried food (worms, shrimp, etc.).

Hope you can get some pics soon :-)

Anyone else have anything to add or anything I missed?

Oh yea, a heater. They can survive in cooler water as long as you don't keep your house really cold, but you may want to consider a heater to maintain the water temp at a constant temperature. They do best around 68 to 78 degrees. If you get a large enough tank, select a heater with automatic shut-off. Multiply the tank size by five to get the property wattage. So if you have a ten gallon tank, select a 50w heater. Follow the directions on the packaging closely to set it up. If you stay with a smaller tank, then chances are good they don't make a heater that small with automatic shut-off, so I'd skip the heater.

And also cycling the filter. If you have another tank you can borrow some media from, that would help a great deal in reducing stress for your fish.

Good for you and good luck with her/him. I love to get my fish very young and watch them grow. I take photos as the grow, I'm always surprised at how big they get. You don't really realize how they grow since you look at them everyday.

:Congrats: I am proud mother of 11 black molly fry! I love them and so do their parents. It is a trip to watch them protect them. This is my first go round w/tropical fish so I don't know much at all. The parents were given to me2 weeks ago Friday and the fry will be 1 week old tommorrow! I love them!! I did have a female betta in the tank with the parents but had to move her back to her original home until the fry get a little older to protect/hide themselves then I figure I will replace her and let nature runs it course. I hate having to confine my beautiful betta but I am a don't have a clue at what I am doing so I am winging it for now. Good luck!