Please Help, There Isn't Much Time I Think!

Guest thisgirlwho

Guest thisgirlwho

DSC_0157.jpg

this is my fish Tater. yesterday i noticed some bloody appearance on his abdomen and his scales were sticking out some. although the bloody appearance isn't usually a symptom of dropsy i treated it as such, adding aquarium salt and starting the feeding of Metro-Med. i added some melafix to the water too. i'm not really sure what he has so i pretty much just added whatever i thought might help. anyway, today i found him with many of his scales missing in large sections, and i believe the other 2 fish are the culprit behind this, so i have him quarantined now. here is some extra info:

ammonia level is 0

nitrite level is 0

nitrate level is 40

30 gal tank

3 fish total, all about 3inches

i haven't added new fish in over 2 months.

i don't know what to do! what is wrong with Tater? can i buy something from nnnn perhaps to help him? please hurry you guys, he seems like he feels awful.

Oh my god...I am so sorry about Tater...I think you have all the info in here...How big is your QT..the water parameters are that of the QT or the main tank...Since he in the QT...could you please enter all the info up in the box with respect to your QT tank..will help us suggest better..In the meanwhile I ll see if we can get a moderator up here...hang on Hon...we ll try and help as much as we can...

I agree with sunshine..we need to know about he Q tank ...poor little guy :( ..dropsy is a symptom itself of an internal infection ..with a fish having a low immune system he can be wide open for anything .melifix at this point won't do anything ..salt and the metro meds is good ..have you ever treated for flukes with prazi??..others will chime in soon good luck!!...just so you know regular salt holds secondary infection at bay and EPSOM salts helps swelling in dropsy ..the 2 salts should never be mixed ...how much salt do you have in the tank ???

Oh my gosh, poor little Tater. :( It looks like dropsy but I'm wondering about the dip in his abdomen also. I would definitely go for MetroMeds and epsom salts, but would feel more comfortable if a Mod or helper chimed in here.

Other fish in the tank will often go after the one who is ill, so qt'ing him was a good thing to do. I agree that there isn't much time to mess around here, so if you could answer the questions in the above box it would help a lot. In the meantime, be sure to keep his water temp and ph matched and pristine.

We'll be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for you and Tater.

Aquarium salt is not the proper treatment for dropsy, as hi-d said. You need to get him out of the salt-treated water and into water treated with epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). 1/4 TSP per 10 gallons.

Edited by thoughtsofjoy

Guest thisgirlwho

thanks for all the help you guys, but unfortunately it was just too late for him. Tater died only like 5 minutes after i made this post. :[

i'm still not 100% sure what he had. i mean i've had a fish die of dropsy before but he looked a lot different than Tater. the bloody appearance is what really throws me off. i feel like a horrible fish mother too because i guess i wasn't using the right salt? you guys don't think that sped up the process, do you? :[

well as a side note, i'm pretty sure this came about because my tank seems to have a permanently high number of nitrates. i can't seem to lower them at all, i've tried adding live plants, cleaning the tank more often, and adding something to the water that claims to lower them. but the number has been teh exact same. how can i lower the nitrates so this kind of horrible incident can be avoided in the future?

I'm really sorry to hear that you lost Tater. :(

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? If you have a high level of nitrates in the tap, doing water changes won't do much because you'll just be replacing the nitrate you take out. Live plants didn't lower the level?

your not a bad fish mom at all!!!!!!!!....high nitrAtes can to damage however a nitrAte level of 40 eventhogh it is high and needs to be brought down somehow it probably would nt "kill" your fish ..using aquarium salt would not harm him the epsom would have relived the symptom swelling but would not have cured him of his illness ..once the syptom of dropsy sets in it is VERY hard to bring the fish back to health for any experienced fish lover..and some lucky ones do ...so do not beat yourself up :k055:

I am so sorry that you lost Tater. :(

Like Heidi said, dropsy is very lethal and by the time they show symptoms many times it is too late.

Hope you feel better soon, hon.

Guest thisgirlwho

i have tested the tap water before and it has no nitrates at all, so i know its all from my fish tank. are there any other ways to lower nitrate levels? i am considering removing most if not all gravel to help with keeping the tank cleaner, do you think the removal of the gravel may help lower the nitrate levels?

Yes, removing the gravel definitely would help. Gravel can hold all kinds of nasty stuff including bacteria, parasites, fish poo, and decaying food that will keep your nitrates up if it isn't properly cleaned, and often.

do you use a vac when you clean the tank ??? if you want to remove the gravel take it out in parts so you don;t disrupt the cycle so take 1/4 a week until gone ..

Seconding Hi-D. Be very careful when removing gravel. If you remove too much or stir it up, there may be poisonous gases released into the water. I took a coffee cupfull out each time I changed the water. It took me a while, but it's safer. You could also remove the fish, then remove the gravel and do a 100% water change before adding the fish back into the tank. Climatize the fish before returning to the new water slowly by doing 25% wc's every 15 minutes or so until the fish's old water you have them in and the new water they are going in is as close as you can get it.

Good luck